Puddles of coolant liquid - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Puddles of coolant liquid

So how alarmed should I be?

For the last two days I found small puddles of coolant under the bike. I traced it to the hose from the overfill container (one that falls freely on the right side of the bike). It's been hot these days, around 25℃. During stop and-go-city riding bike gets hot but not at all at higher speeds and open road.

Here is the picture of the container with bike on the kick stand:

And with bike straightened up:

Last puddle: (there was a lot more the day before)

Level of liquid is well above F-ull mark but I don't think anyone aded any liquid since bike left the factory. I may be wrong about this since bike was in the shop for past two months but that level of care is not typical for this shop.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Were the pics taken with the engine completely cooled down? Your level is a too high and above the full mark. Level is higher when engine is hot, especially upon a heat soak when you stop and park it there. That's when some coolant drained from the overflow tube on the reservoir.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Pictures were taken about 10-15 minutes after a long ride.
My friend rode with me (on the V.) and his container was much less filled and no drain on the ground.

Edit:
This is with the bike cooled down over night:

Last edited by Ivan V; 05-30-2010 at 02:14 AM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yeah, that's still high. It should be no higher than the full line when cooled off... The only problem it can cause is the mess and slippery coolant from the excess drainage. Your cat might also lick up the sweet tasting coolant and die.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Would draining it and filling with new coolant help?

I did have a crash before this but there was no obvious structural damage to any parts. Bike was on it's side for a few minutes and some coolant spilled but it seemed normal at the moment.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 06:35 AM

Your overflow tank has too much fluid in it. Once it gets hot and the fluid in the engine starts to expand into the tank it will fill up in a hurry. I think the heat is the worst a few minutes after you stop before the engine starts to cool. You should drain enough fluid so that it is between the marks when it is cold. If you still get a puddle start checking the soft parts (hoses). I would doubt that your crash damaged anything unless you tore up the body work pretty bad. If so, check your overflow tank for cracks. Also, move it to a spot with no puddle while it is cold to see if it is still leaking.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 06:57 AM

Occasionally, I will get a small penny sized drip on my garage floor when I return from a spirited ride on a hot day, I think its nothing to worry about as long as its coming from the overflow hose, if your getting a lot of fluid all the time then I'd drain some out.
________
ZOLOFT SETTLEMENT NEWS

Last edited by furley; 05-14-2011 at 05:16 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The last time I filled the bottle it was a bit on the high side and dripped for a few times, but since our weather here is hot I thought a little overfill wont hurt. I just keep the level a bit on the high side as we sometimes hits a lot of traffic light and stop and go. The v sure runs hot, but as to the dripping I dont worry much on it as long there is water in the bottle.

By the way no pets to worry about.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 12:22 PM

If it is dripping due to being overfilled I would correct the fluid level. If you get any overflow while riding that hose drops slippery coolant directly in the path of your rear tire and could ruin your day.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 01:10 PM

Mine drips a few drops out of the overflow a while after I stop in really hot weather. My overflow is too high too from my last coolant change so I don't worry about it.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 03:46 PM

No sure about this, but the radiator should have air bleed screws on the top. After a wreck, you should bleed off some air and the equilibrium between the overflow and the radiator should return to normal. This should keep more fluid in the radiator when cool and a just right amount in the overflow when hot.
maybe i'm wrong...i have not yet done rad maintenance so i do not know if there is a bleed screw on the radiator, but there should be.

2005 Yamaha VStar 650 -(pfffh...sold)
2002 Yamaha R1-(sold)
2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM (hell yeah!)
2008 Kawasaki Versys
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 06:19 PM

I would definitely lower the level back down to where its supposed to be. Make sure you do it when the bike is cold.
You wouldn't want that getting on the tire when your riding, it tends to get a little slippery.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 06:54 PM

Good pics, Ivan V.

Could just let it overflow bit by bit till the levels good. Nothing to be worried about unless the reserve tank is empty and that will suck air into the system.
Like the guys said, check level when cold and with the V straight and upright.

Cheers.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalresistance View Post
No sure about this, but the radiator should have air bleed screws on the top. After a wreck, you should bleed off some air and the equilibrium between the overflow and the radiator should return to normal. This should keep more fluid in the radiator when cool and a just right amount in the overflow when hot.
maybe i'm wrong...i have not yet done rad maintenance so i do not know if there is a bleed screw on the radiator, but there should be.

That makes a lot of sense.
Why didn't I think of that?

Here is what service manual says under COOLING SYSTEM 4-9 chapter:

Quote:
Fill the system with a permanent type coolant and bleed the air from the system (see Coolant Change in the Peri- odic Maintenance chapter)
However, there is nothing in Periodic Maintenance chapter about bleeding the air.
I'll definitely flush the system and replace coolant with the new one since it's over 3 years old now. Hopefully that will help.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode