SW Motech Crash Bar Install Issue - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Update - resolved...SW Motech Crash Bar Install Issue

Added a post to update on this issue...
Left the info below for reference.

I have read the install and other "issue" thread on the installation of the bars. I ran into a problem this morning and wondering if any others have come across this...

2014 Versys with 500 miles
Installing the left side bar, with both bolts in place, the upper frame mount using the u-bolt is too low (about 1/2" or 12.7mm).

These bars are stout and although I can "lift" the bar a little, I can not get the u-bolt into both holes on the bar.

I could put a jack under the upper mount and force it but am concerned with introducing unwanted stress between the frame and engine mounts. Right side lines up...These may have to go back

Pics of issue. Appreciate any feedback

Last pic showing bolt holes lined up and how the left side does not match. (this assumes: front mounts are symmetrical as well as L/R frame)

Last edited by outdoorgb; 08-19-2015 at 10:10 AM. Reason: updated with info...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 10:28 AM

Garage
IMO send them back. SW-Motech is supposed to be a premium brand (they charge enough) so hold them to that desired status.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
If you don't wanna send them back drill the mount holes out a bit and it will give you more wiggle room. Just put some washers on the bolts to distribute the fourced out over more surface area(if you have a welder welding them in place will make it even stronger)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Bought on Amazon through Cycle Sector...filled out the "return info" on the Amazon site...Cycle Sector got right back to me, personal email, on a Sunday...

They will do what ever it takes to make it right...We're going to do an exchange.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 01:37 PM

Garage
Nice! Let us know how it goes with the replacement.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
IMO send them back. SW-Motech is supposed to be a premium brand (they charge enough) so hold them to that desired status.

$670 for R&G engine guards for the Triumph Trophy. SW Motech not so bad now.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 03:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
$670 for R&G engine guards for the Triumph Trophy. SW Motech not so bad now.
LOL, I hear ya...the $140 for the R&G rad guard left me feeling a little unfulfilled. Glorified piece of tin foil
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

I'll update this post when I receive and install the replacment set...the guys at Cycle Sector have taken care of everything and I'll ship the first set back tomorrow...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Mine was out a little like yours... I persuaded it to fit!

No Issues, no added vibrations - actually vibrations feel less than without.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
FWIW - I always have had to 'pull' up on that end while 'wiggling' the U-bolt thru the holes each time I've had to loosen it off to get at the countershaft sprocket.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 01:21 AM
djg

Much as I like the SW bars overall, that ubolt mickey mouse setup is low quality. They should make a molded rubber insert for that location, not give you a thin piece of plastic to wrap around the frame. Referring to my '09 bar kit.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Much as I like the SW bars overall, that ubolt mickey mouse setup is low quality. They should make a molded rubber insert for that location, not give you a thin piece of plastic to wrap around the frame. Referring to my '09 bar kit.
I cut 8 inches of a bicycle tire inner tube instead of using the plastic wrap. It also greatly reduce vibrations.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
FWIW - I always have had to 'pull' up on that end while 'wiggling' the U-bolt thru the holes each time I've had to loosen it off to get at the countershaft sprocket.

I put a climbing strap around the u-bolt bar and had my 19-year-old pull up...could not get this one to fit. I considered a car jack but 1) didn't want to bend the bar and 2) didn't want that stress on the motor/frame...

I understand a little wiggle room, I am an aerospace engineer...but not .5" on something that won't yeild...these bars are nice...stout and look pretty good also.

New set on the way, I'll report back.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 09:22 AM

Garage
Live my Givi Crash Bars

Really like my Givi Crash Bars. Only "used" them once on a low speed gravel drop but they did their job just fine. I think they look fantastic too. Especially with the SW Mototech skid plate. Just had to go get some extra spacers from Ace to mix and match. You can take the ones back you don't use. Think I paid and extra $12 in spacers to make it work.

The Givi's do not have the cross bar in front. I know that may affect others opinion of durability.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Received the new set of bars last night from Twisted Throttle...took them quite a while to do all of the paperwork and reshipping...oh well.

Installed in under 30 minutes...had to slightly lift the left side to get the u-bolt on but no issues. On my 2014, I didn't have to remove any plastics...on the left side only, remove two of the three small hex-head screws, loosen the third, and the lower gray plastic swivels just enought to use the sockets on the upper, forward engine mount...

Really easy install. I did add a layer of rubber under each upper plastic frame sleeve. Went for an obligatory ride...project complete.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 07:42 PM

Do you guys get 'Power Moto' across the pond? Exactly the same design as SW, half the price complete with vibration damping rubber and fit perfectly.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 08:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKKPhil View Post
Do you guys get 'Power Moto' across the pond? Exactly the same design as SW, half the price complete with vibration damping rubber and fit perfectly.
question is quality

yes im a guy.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
question is quality
So price equals quality, does it? GS800 twice the price of the Versys here, and was 3x only a few months ago! Damn those GSs must be a damn fine bike!

From what I understand it is labour, vs material cost and shipping.

I guess the same reason a set of Veerubber Vrm 163, manufactured in Thailand cost 4500bht, but 10,000 but in the UK!

Nevertheless, I have SW motech pegs, hand guards and rear rack on the bike, but the power Moto crash bars offered the same for half. Off road I have been down 3 times and the bars are just a little scuffed.

Think we just have more choice here as the Versys is seen as an adventure bike.

Last edited by BKKPhil; 12-03-2015 at 12:19 AM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 08:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKKPhil View Post
So price equals quality, does it? GS800 twice the price of the Versys here, and was 3x only a few months ago! Damn those GSs must be a damn fine bike!

From what I understand it is labour, vs material cost and shipping.

I guess the same reason a set of Veerubber Vrm 163, manufactured in Thailand cost 4500bht, but 10,000 but in the UK!

Nevertheless, I have SW motech pegs, hand guards and rear rack on the bike, but the power Moto crash bars offered the same for half. Off road I have been down 3 times and the bars are just a little scuffed.

Think we just have more choice here as the Versys is seen as an adventure bike.
no i NEVER said price = quality.
i just asked what is the quallity of them?
the motech bars ive SEEN versys go donw on and they hold up well and take the damage and bike comes unscathed...
ive had cheap ones on my night hawk years ago, friend dropped it at a stop sign and it bent and twist.
im the LAST person to spend extra money for a name, ill spend an extra buck if i KNOW its quality, other wise ill just make it myself.

yes im a guy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode