Normal Idle? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
D3v

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Normal Idle?

Hi.

Just need some thoughts on my versy. When the engine is cold and i first start it, the rpm's like to jump to 3k. It does settle down back to 1k idle after a couple minutes of warming up. Normal?.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
That does seam a bit high to me but if it kicks down once wormed up I guess it's just worming up quicker

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 04:07 PM

yea, if it settles to around 1k rpm it's probably fine.

I remember in the colder winter months my start up would do something similar... in the warmer weather it doesn't seem to do it though.

How cold has it been?

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
I've noticed mine has gone way down since it wormed up. When it was cooler it would be up around 2300 then drop down to 1300

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Your idle need to be set to 1300 rpm's when warmed up...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 08:42 PM

Garage
My '15 revs to around 2k for 30-60 seconds then eases back to 12-13k. 3k seems a little high, but if it comes back down and runs normal after I'd say it's a quirk of your bike.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You can bring it down by rotating your sub-throttle sensor counterclockwise a bit... I had to after rotating my main throttle sensor counterclockwise by about 0.5mm to add low end fuel and cure lean stumble. My sub-throttle plates were already removed, by the way.

Set you normal warmed up idle to 1300 rpm, as it should.

Last edited by invader; 07-23-2015 at 09:12 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 10:59 PM

I idle my bike a little higher....about 14-1500rpm
Find it shifts up and down a little smoother...
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Your idle need to be set to 1300 rpm's when warmed up...
convenient posting. mine would idled down to 500 and then stalled while on going-to-the-sun highway. i reached down and turned it up, problem solved, but wasn't sure about the proper setting now that i'm back home. i had it at ~900. thanks!
weljo2001 likes this.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulff81 View Post
My '15 revs to around 2k for 30-60 seconds then eases back to 12-13k. 3k seems a little high, but if it comes back down and runs normal after I'd say it's a quirk of your bike.
12-13000 RPM idle... Rocket Ship!

:P
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 04:27 PM

My '15 650 just started doing the high idle thing in the past week when it has gotten colder. Only the first start when it is cold soaked to 45 or colder. After about 30 seconds of normal idle it then zooms up to 3000 to 4000 rpm. If I hit the kill switch and restart it, the rpms are normal.

Twice the idle has been normal until kicking it into 1st gear, then the rpms rise.

Once warmed up the engine runs, idles, and starts completely normally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You can bring it down by rotating your sub-throttle sensor counterclockwise a bit... I had to after rotating my main throttle sensor counterclockwise by about 0.5mm to add low end fuel and cure lean stumble. My sub-throttle plates were already removed, by the way.

Set you normal warmed up idle to 1300 rpm, as it should.
Which is the sub-throttle sensor?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
My '15 650 just started doing the high idle thing in the past week when it has gotten colder. Only the first start when it is cold soaked to 45 or colder. After about 30 seconds of normal idle it then zooms up to 3000 to 4000 rpm. If I hit the kill switch and restart it, the rpms are normal.

Twice the idle has been normal until kicking it into 1st gear, then the rpms rise.

Once warmed up the engine runs, idles, and starts completely normally.

Which is the sub-throttle sensor?
It's the upper one... What's your elevation above sea level? Is your idle always good and stable once warmed up? Is there much of a lean stumble, mostly near 2,800 rpm?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 07:42 PM

With all of my electrical doo-dads, I like 1.5K rpm as the warmed up idle. And that's idle based based on empirical evidence and constant monitoring from a real time voltage light (as per my equipment load and battery life.) Voltage light feedback and radiator temp gages rule!

I feel sorry for you guys up North with all the heating equipment. I don't know how I could do without all my monitoring/comfort equipment I have now. You guys especially need One Wizard's exclusive voltage light!
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
It's the upper one... What's your elevation above sea level? Is your idle always good and stable once warmed up? Is there much of a lean stumble, mostly near 2,800 rpm?
I'm still not sure what the sub throttle sensor is. A photo might help if you have one.

The idle has always been stable at about 1200 or so rpm in warm weather. Once the weather turned colder the idle is lower at about 1100 rpm. It is pretty stable, without any hunting around, once warmed up.

Yes a lot of lean stumble from about 2500 to 3200 rpm once warmed up. No stumble at all the first mile of riding in either warm or cool weather.

The elevation here is 5000 ft ASL. The valley floor is at 4300 ft, where I ride frequently and commute to work. The canyons all go uphill from here though I don't ride those often enough.

Tomorrow I'll be ordering the service manual from the dealer, which should help me understand which gizmo on the bike does what, and how to find it.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 08:32 PM

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ce-manual.html

They are on the left side. They may be partly hidden if yours has the evaporative system charcoal canister over it... Here's aka Yamadog's photo, with a T25 Torx tool on the Main Throttle Sensor screw. Start by rotating your Main Throttle Sensor (lower) counterclockwise by a very small amount (about 0.5mm). Before loosening Torx screw, look at how the sensor's green reference mark ligns up on the front, with your head against your front left turn signal... Then we'll consider rotating your subthrottle sensor (just above) counterclockwise as well if your cold fast idle is still too high.

Lours_Polaire likes this.

Last edited by invader; 11-23-2015 at 08:54 PM.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 11:47 PM

Thanks, I'll look at it tomorrow before starting it up. Days with good weather and non-icy roads are getting few and farther between. Tomorrow will be the last ride for a week or more.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 10:22 AM

Garage
mine idles after warming up about 800 - 1000 rpms.

GL - HF
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFRK View Post
mine idles after warming up about 800 - 1000 rpms.

Mine did too when i got it from the dealership. But kept having to charge the battery all the time and then found out the idle was too low about 900 rpm. Bumped it up to 1300 and never had another issue.
Lours_Polaire likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ce-manual.html

They are on the left side. They may be partly hidden if yours has the evaporative system charcoal canister over it... Here's aka Yamadog's photo, with a T25 Torx tool on the Main Throttle Sensor screw. Start by rotating your Main Throttle Sensor (lower) counterclockwise by a very small amount (about 0.5mm). Before loosening Torx screw, look at how the sensor's green reference mark ligns up on the front, with your head against your front left turn signal... Then we'll consider rotating your subthrottle sensor (just above) counterclockwise as well if your cold fast idle is still too high
I adjusted it a bit and the stumble is almost gone. The exhaust note is a bit throatier sounding. Today at least it didn't rev way high at startup, though the temperature was around 50F.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
I adjusted it a bit and the stumble is almost gone. The exhaust note is a bit throatier sounding. Today at least it didn't rev way high at startup, though the temperature was around 50F.
Cool... You can experiment a bit by adding more or less counterclockwise rotation of you main throttle sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode