12v relay switched Power. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
12v relay switched Power.

I have a relay switched power block. I can easily find Switched 12v power to trigger it on, however, I was wondering if I should use a relayed 12v source to then turn on the power block which will then of course power on my Audiovox css-100, zumo, and power outlet.

Question:
Is daisy chaining relays okay to do?
Good Source for Relayed 12v? (understand the headlamp, which wire? Pictures?)

Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 11:49 PM

There is nothing to be gained by doing this, and really complicates things. You can either use the tail light hot wire or a driving light hot wire to trigger the relay on your fuse block.

A relay uses very low current for triggering a switch carrying high current.

Your CCS-100 will require both switched and hot all the time 12V. The Zumo, you would normally want hot all the time. That way the gps can continue logging stop time, average time, etc while the key is off.
I prefer having my 12V outlet hot all the time as well. That way I can charge my cell phone or iPod overnight while camping.

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the advice, I think I will follow it. Any good sources for power outlets? I know I can find them on powerlet, but looking for for a more of a budget item.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:50 AM

To answer some of your other questions:

Yes, you can daisy chain relays but it usually is unnecessary. (There are some cases to daisy chain relays such as fail-safe protection.)

By good source for relayed 12v, do you mean good place to buy them or good place to get more information on them?

-- If you want more information, try here or here

** In a nut shell, pins 30 goes to a fused hot (positive) lead, such as your battery's positive terminal through an in-line fuse. Pin 87 goes to your device's positive supply connector. Pin 85 goes to ground. Pin 86 goes to a switched positive, such as the tail light (NOT brake light), day-time-running light, headlight (NOT High Beam), etc.

You can pick up cheap power outlets and relays from your local auto store (AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advanced, etc and some WallyWorlds) If you have a Fry's Electronics in your area, that is another great place.

-Never mistake kindness for weakness.
-Harley Davidson rEvolution engine (V-Rod): Designed by Porsche, detuned by Harley.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:54 AM

Maybe in http://www.whitehorsegear.com/powerl...l3jeb3ho95uum3

http://www.powerletproducts.com/shop...et-kits/SKTKIT

I wonder if a cigarette lighter outlet is a cheaper option? Can it work?

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 10:04 AM

a zumo (well at least the 500/550) doesn't need power at all times. it has a batery that lasts for at least 4..5 hours....

as I found when I first installed the Zumo without a relay some water got under the seal (more likely I hadn't fitted the seal properly) and started to leach the copper out of the power pins).

mind you I'd argue you don't need to wire the Zumo into a relay... our could tap it directly off the front running / side lights or the (dipped) headlamp. Ideally I'd suggest the headlamp as this comes on with the engine running

GPS's draw minimal current and it will be fine.. keep the in line fuse though.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 07:59 PM

I used the head light (which does not come on untill the motor is running) to trigger my relay for my fuse block because that way the fuse block wont be hot untill the motor is running so it will not be such a strain on the battery on startup and you wont be able to leave anything on after the bike is off to drain the battery. The engineers thought this important to leave the head light off untill the motors running so thats how I wanted to do the same with my accessories. Its easy to tie into the conector right behind the low beam of the head light that way you don't have to cut in to the wireing harness at all.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bversysb View Post
I used the head light (which does not come on untill the motor is running) to trigger my relay for my fuse block ...
Which wire is that (color / location)?

Thanks

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acinonyx View Post
* In a nut shell, pins 30 goes to a fused hot (positive) lead, such as your battery's positive terminal through an in-line fuse. Pin 87 goes to your device's positive supply connector. Pin 85 goes to ground. Pin 86 goes to a switched positive, such as the tail light (NOT brake light), day-time-running light, headlight (NOT High Beam), etc.
I would DEFINITELY NOT use your headlight for pin 86! You'll lose power when you go from low to hi beam. Try your DRL beside the headlight.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I would DEFINITELY NOT use your headlight for pin 86! You'll lose power when you go from low to hi beam. Try your DRL beside the headlight.
must have an odd wired Versys then matey, or perhaps I have the odd ones out
dipped beam is always on even when full beam on. this is true for both the Euro and Canadian Versys's Ive ridden

there is one potential issue to be aware of... that is if you use the kill switch to turn the engine off the headlight remains on.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
I wired my GPS thru the low-beam (FIRST time...), but whenever I 'dipped' the beam the GPS would trigger OFF/ON. So-o-o-o, wired it to the DRLs.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 10:35 PM

I used the Blue/Yellow on the low beam. On page page 502 of the service manual (its a sticky in the technical discution) shows the wire diagram. This will only be hot when the motor is running and will not be swiched off with the high beam or pass button. You can check this buy running the bike get in front and switch on you high beam, watch the low beam and it should stay steady. I've had mine wired this way and it has worked well for me. Some of the other wires to and from the headlights ARE switched and will cause problems. hope this helps.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 11:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bversysb View Post
I used the Blue/Yellow on the low beam.
Thanks

I am away from the bike for a week, but will hunt this down on my return

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

+1 Thank you. Great info guys.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 10:50 AM

Radio Shack has a module with 3 lighter sockets in it (complete with moisture protection caps), for automotive use. I use one to power my GPS, charge my cell phone and power or charge my Ipod all at the same time. They are all very low power draw devices. The module can be hard mounted but I have mine in the front pocket of my Wolfman Explorer tank bag (now the Rainier model) and have wired an SAE power cable pigtail to it. I get power to it by running a cable (2 wires) from the + and - of my fuseblock to the left side of my fairing dash. It of course also has an SAE pigtail. I always ride with the tank bag so it works out well. The SAE plug is the same type used on "Battery Tender". I found them at Ducati Seattle but I'm sure they can be found on line with a google search too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode