high temp grease on wheel spacers - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
high temp grease on wheel spacers

Hi All

About ready to replace my oem rear sprocket with a 44t, have read the thread on rear wheel removal, last time I removed a bike wheel was 20yrs ago on DR 500. My question is how much high temp grease do you use on the spacers? Any other wise tips on wheel removal/sprocket replacement?
just going use some of the high temp grease we use on our detroit coal spreaders on the boilers I operate so that should do the trick.

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
just a little dab, only enough to cover the surface that contacts the axle. You don't want to over grease them, dirt will collect & cause more damage than good.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, and I don't think it has to be high temp. Axle grease works just fine, so does bearing grease, or just plain grease...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

cheers, got some grease I use for ride on mower will do then, just have to work out how to lift rear end of bike with out a proper stand, a friend made a sugestion to use a couple of ratchet tie downs to rafters in garage.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 07:30 PM

I use Bel-Ray waterproof grease. I started using the waterproof grease on my Suzuki DRZ400S dual sport's swingarm, rear linkage, and steering head bearings, and on the wheel axles and spacers. So far nothing has rusted together between times I service the wheels or suspension. Of course I service everything in the the dual DRZ's suspension at least once a year, more than I expect to service Versys.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Can understand what you are doing on the DR i presume going through a lot more crap and water but my V mainly road riding and no river crossing I hope, seized up a TS 185 many years ago with lots of river crossings and no maint at all but was only 14 at the time.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=jdrocks;84488]floor jack under the muffler. use a piece of wood on top of the floorjack pad, padding of some sort on top of the wood if you're worried about scratching the underside of the muffler.

Cheers for that, have done this method before to clean chain just was a bit concerned that the rear wheel removal putting to much pressure on the muffler
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
[quote=kiwi 41;84493]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
floor jack under the muffler. use a piece of wood on top of the floorjack pad, padding of some sort on top of the wood if you're worried about scratching the underside of the muffler.

Cheers for that, have done this method before to clean chain just was a bit concerned that the rear wheel removal putting to much pressure on the muffler
You need some ground clearance to remove the wheel, so do be careful on the floor jack. Best to work two if you intend to use floor jack.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Can understand what you are doing on the DR i presume going through a lot more crap and water but my V mainly road riding and no river crossing I hope, seized up a TS 185 many years ago with lots of river crossings and no maint at all but was only 14 at the time.
I'll use the waterproof grease on even my on road Versys. I do ride in the rain on occasion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode