Another charging issue - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Another charging issue

SO, maybe this has been answered and I overlooked it.

On my '09, I have one of the red/green charge indicator lights, it's tapped off my running lights, which are LED.

Few weeks back, had a week day off, decided to go a couple hour ride. Got caught in heavy stop/go traffic from an accident.

Temps were in the 80's, while just sitting idle, headlight on, running lights, brake/taillights and engine fan kicking on, the charge light would suddenly go red, then get bright red. If I gave it some throttle, say to about 1,500 or above, after a few seconds the light would go back to green.

The traffic jam lasted for probably 20 minutes. As soon as it cleared and I was able to get running at speed for about 10 minutes, when I got off the highway and turned around, I was sitting at a red light and the charge light never changed. After I got back on the highway, I rode non-stop for 30 minutes, got off the highway and sat through 7 or 8 red lights on the way home, again it never acted up. Got home, let the bike idle in the garage for 15 minutes, until the fan came on, nothing happened. As soon as the fan kicked on, within a minute or two, the light went to red.

Bike is starting fine. Took it to the dealer to have it checked out and perform the 8K service. I had fog lights, GPS, heated grips all via a separate fuze block installed. While not in use, the grips and GPS should not be drawing, the fog lights, PIAA regular lights, apparently do draw because of the lighted switch. Kawi tech disconnect my fuze block, said it worked better, also said the regulator/rectifier was getting super hot.

Brought the bike home, few days later, got off work and had to run an errand. Noticed the same thing happening, as soon as the fan kicked on at idle, the light would go red. Since bringing the bike home from service, I have removed the PIAA lights, still have the fuze block wired in to provide power to my GPS and heated grips.

THoughts? I noticed in another thread the bike should idle above 1,000, need to double check, but I think even when warm my idles below 1,000. If it needs to idle higher, how do I adjust it to do so.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You answered your own question my friend...

Start at the end of your post and read backwards.... it's likely got something to do with the idle, it's supposed to be at about 1300 RPM/idle, when warmed up.

If it's at a grand or less..... funny the bike was still running. The 'lectronics, computer stuff, and much, much else relies on 1300 RPM. Dial her up man, you know how right?

Do a search on the forum here for "stalls" and you will find commentary from the big brains that go into detail, but the one consistent factor was "IDLE TOO LOW/BELOW 1300"

Easy enough to try. I don't know what to think of the blinky LED thingies, but yours may have caused enough curiosity for you to learn about the idle- hope that's all it is man.

EDIT:

I been into the Corona tonight and missed in your post that you did not know for sure how to dial up your idle.

Here you go brother, I left it 1500 px wide for detail. It's that little thumbwheel thingy. I fiddled with mine today at a stop sign in the middle of no where to tweak it. Once you know where it is, give it a slight turn, watch your tach, you will see soon enough which way to turn it. Easier if your off the bike, but you will get to doing it while sitting on the beast too, it's nothing.

Click the bar to ENLARGE the pic. The control you are seeking is indicated.... grasp that chunky part of the outward end, that looks like it's intended for thumbs and forefingers.... you don't need a wrench.

If you watch what it's doing when you turn it, you will see it's not rocket surgery, it's just moving a little end/bolt pecker kind of thing against that part of the throttle control there that is below that circle shaped deal, that your cables are both connected to. It's like a lawnmower (or a KLR)...

If you keep your hand in that general area, there isn't likely anything gonna burn you or suck you into the engine or anything. Fiddle with it with the bike RUNNING.

Last edited by unstable_rider; 07-10-2015 at 09:42 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Go to 2-18 on Periodic Maintenance...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by onewizard; 02-02-2017 at 10:37 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

thank you guys, fired up the bike today for the first time in 3 weeks, let it idle for a few minutes, did a quick ride around the block and it idles at 1,000. Adjusted the screw up to 1,500. Have to take it for a longer ride in a couple of hours, will play with it more at that time to see what happens.

Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colodak View Post
...If it needs to idle higher, how do I adjust it to do so.
Use your right index finger to gently push IN at the bottom of that 'screw' (CW) to increase. Adding a BIT of throttle makes the screw easier to turn.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

when the bike was cold and first started, the screw wasn't even touching anything. let it idle for a couple of minutes, bike hadn't been run in 3 weeks, did a quick spin around the block to make sure it was warm. Idle dropped to a hair under 1,000. Finger adjusted it up to 1,500. Took the bike for a much longer ride, about 30 miles round trip, got home and it was idling still at 1,500, adjusted it back to about 1,300 +/-, fan kicked on, no red light, hopefully this solves the problem.

Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
:yeahsmile :

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

Follow up if you would sir!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

well, have ridden the bike now two days in a row, temps have been warm enough on the way home for the fan to kick on while sitting idle, especially at the one light that typically takes 4 cycles for me to get through. Bike at idle, fan kicking on, no red light, stays green, according to the tach it's idling about 1,300 which seems to be about right.

Coworker was astounded at how high I have to idle this to keep the charge correct, his Harley idles at 950. But as I pointed out, his Harley has a much larger charging system as well, so it can idle lower and not have a problem.

Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Good report, Colo.

Hope your all set. Got lucky if it was all that simple (cause I was guessin and I aint that smart).

Tell your Harley chum his bike red lines at 5,500....ok, some go to about 6200... loosely in the range of about half of a first gen. "Ninja" bred Versys with a redline of 10,500, so it aint apples to hayseeds. Most of the Harleys, certainly many- do not come with a tach, so to be fair, he maybe would not have a clue... and or maybe his ride is not injected, ?

Pic from here

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2007/0...-first-ride-2/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode