Zeta handguards and steering stabilizers - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Zeta handguards and steering stabilizers

I just read how another 650 rider had zeta handguards, and then took them off before he sold it and it was quite smooth at higher speeds. If that's so, I'll take those cheesy plastic guards off, even with the extra blinker. I never had the high mph shakes before the handguards also (into the wind (!), worse on wrinkly concrete slabs.)

I still think Lexan handlebar wind deflectors would reduce arm fatigue and provide a smoother slipstream and rain protection. There is just something funky about the aerodynamics of those plastic Zeta hand guard covers with uneven holes in them (??) It 'used' to be stable as a rock before I got those, but I attributed it to moving the center of gravity inside the bar ends which is still a factor. I'm glad I read that comment which was my initial reaction, but it got watered down as time went on.

The fact that I get the shakes MUCH worse into the wind means the aerodynamics is playing a bigger role in the shakes than the center of gravity (which may amplify it still.)

AND what about steering stabilizers? Maybe I'll take the Zeta plastic covers off first to see how much a factor the wind vs the center of gravity really is, and go from there: maybe I can add Lexan bar covers instead in the same handguard mounting locations.

But SOMEONE here has to have tried steering stabilizers.

Last edited by kawdog; 07-07-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 09:07 PM

Garage
Have not tried a steering stabilizer but I do have Kawi handguards and I have not experienced any issues at higher speeds. If anything, it seems to be more stable. Oh and I also have Speedy's anti-vibe bar riser.

Binderline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I put the Zeta bars on, but my source/vendor sent me the wrong plastics for them (and other wrong parts), so I have the bars with the "dip" in them, or the extra swoop near the bar end. Maybe same as yours, Dog?

They sent me shields that only had one bolt hole in them..... wtf!

Since I waited about 5 weeks for my current parts, I am planning to just make my own shields out of carbon fiber. It's on my to-do list...

Are you running stock handlebars yet dog?

I am, only cause I don't know what else works well.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

I just bought new oem bars from Partzilla, because my others were slightly tweaked. I can give you a good deal on my old ones with stock grips already on

Your handguards look right. I got the shields with (blinker) lights in them, so I may cut off the plastic shields except the lights. And then if and when put the Lexan on w/upper and lower wind folds, and then put the lights back on the Lexan covers. The 2 rivets should hold the Lexan sheets anyway that already hold the shields on, so won't need a fastener to hold them on.

My spider senses thought the original cheesy shields (w/ holes no doubt) were fishy to begin with. However, Cycra makes MANY shields they may be trying to upsell me too (because the stock Zeta shields suck.) The rest of the Zeta handguards looks real nice though. I put in an information request to Zeta asking them wtf, ha ha, not really. I just asked them about the shields creating turbulence with holes(?) in them.

I would have considered other shields if I only knew, but now I want rain coverage on my arms and even my knees (Lexan covers for my HB crash bars too for a lower spoiler.) That's the plans anyway. But there is no big hurry on either since it never rains here anyway, or gets too cold for too long. But the wind fatigue and bugs coming through the pants leg holes are another story.

Last edited by kawdog; 07-08-2015 at 12:54 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 03:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I modified my 2007 windscreen mounts to have my taller (16.5") Mike's Shields windscreen as tilted back and tucked down to the fairing as possible without touching my handguards at full steering angle, which cured the buffeting and wobble completely.

Zeta's smaller X2 Protector on my Zeta's Armour Handguard Bend are just perfect, and don't have any perceptible negative effects.

- Compact deflector-shields for Armor hand guards.
- Light weight design for better handling and more space for your hands.
- Great to use for Super moto and ED race.

http://zeta-racing.com/handguard/x2/index.html

Smaller aerodynamic billet aluminum mirrors help as well, and they look really cool... I like them a lot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-color-Moto...4a8dc1&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-U...3fe601&vxp=mtr

Last edited by invader; 07-08-2015 at 04:00 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
I just read how another 650 rider had zeta handguards, and then took them off before he sold it and it was quite smooth at higher speeds. If that's so, I'll take those cheesy plastic guards off, even with the extra blinker. I never had the high mph shakes before the handguards also (into the wind (!), worse on wrinkly concrete slabs.)

I still think Lexan handlebar wind deflectors would reduce arm fatigue and provide a smoother slipstream and rain protection. There is just something funky about the aerodynamics of those plastic Zeta hand guard covers with uneven holes in them (??) It 'used' to be stable as a rock before I got those, but I attributed it to moving the center of gravity inside the bar ends which is still a factor. I'm glad I read that comment which was my initial reaction, but it got watered down as time went on.

The fact that I get the shakes MUCH worse into the wind means the aerodynamics is playing a bigger role in the shakes than the center of gravity (which may amplify it still.)

AND what about steering stabilizers? Maybe I'll take the Zeta plastic covers off first to see how much a factor the wind vs the center of gravity really is, and go from there: maybe I can add Lexan bar covers instead in the same handguard mounting locations.

But SOMEONE here has to have tried steering stabilizers.
I've run Zeta XCs w/ the "dipped" aluminum bars for MANY miles, on BOTH my Vs.... NEVER any problems, and I HIGHLY recommend them!!!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I've run Zeta XCs w/ the "dipped" aluminum bars for MANY miles, on BOTH my Vs.... NEVER any problems, and I HIGHLY recommend them!!!
Co-signed. I haven't gone a lot of miles (1k) with my Zeta XC's and the curved bars, but so far I have no complaints at all.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

And no vibration above 85 mph on windy days?

I went up from recommended psi 32 on front to 34: maybe I need to go up from 36 to 38 on rear - and eat the middle tire wear. I've got one more click left on the Progressive shock too.

Before the hand guards though, it was rock steady any speed. Now above 85 into the wind, it definitely is NOT now. I need to look around my shield like Invader did when HE got an improvement by adjusting his shield. Plus, I'm a bigger load than most/all of you too. I am going to call Progressive and get a better fitted spring for the shock: you can't adjust the wrong wt. spring right no matter what you do.

Vibration starting when the new shields were put on did seem to indicate that wind did have an effect at a certain speed since they were directly correlated; and that was also another observation from another model 650cc rider too. Lots of variables to sift through I'll have to figure a half partial 3 variable factorial experiment to sort this out once I discard some variables.

Thanks for the feedback.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Suweeet!

Finally got my Axio backpack delivered and put it on to go to school this evening. The jet stream difference between the ultimate slim size Axio and my 25L Kriega R25 packed round was the difference in handlebar vibration. I knew it was just a tweak somewhere. I still want to do what I was planning, but the vibrations on the bars are gone. I still haven't gone downtown LA expressways, but most if not all of it will be gone. Axio's are so cool and perfect for motorcycles, I wonder why they quit making them. There really is nothing comparable on the market in design (to 155 mph) and materials: do you want a $40 Chinese bag that will melt in the Sun? ymmv. Kriega's are nice, but their airflow sucks at high speeds (maneuvering for Safety positioning around cars that are speeding.) They will suck you up, spit you out, and will not stop!

I will pack overload now on my seat tied down in from of my trunk. It's a little more of a long term riding arrangement and a clear reason NOT to get saddlebags. Ride to live and live to Jetstream!

Last edited by kawdog; 07-09-2015 at 12:57 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Like I said, you need to tone it down on the hand guard size. Just get the smaller X2 protector. It's really all you need.

- Compact deflector-shields for Armor hand guards.
- Light weight design for better handling and more space for your hands.
- Great to use for Super moto and ED race.

http://zeta-racing.com/handguard/x2/index.html

Consider adding your mirrors to the mix as well, as they're also perched on your handlebars. Windscreen size and lean angle has a great impact as well.

Last edited by invader; 07-09-2015 at 04:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode