Shock Spring Specifications - 2008 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Shock Spring Specifications - 2008

These rates were gathered using Intercomp Load Cell

The stock spring has 5mm of preload placed on it when the adjuster is at its minimum.

You'll notice that the measurements indicate that the spring is also progressive.

Based on these measurements I've got to say that Kawasaki did a great job of sizing a spring for the Versys linkless rear suspension. This spring is on the firm side for folks weighing in below 200lbs, but seems to fit a sweet spot for those over or who might be loading down the tail section.

The weak spot is definitely the compression valving in the shock. A lot of street suspension is built with little consideration for choppy bumps. I'm just debating on whether Racetech needed a tool that I don't have to rebuild this shock. I suspect that all that needs to be done is tap a recharge bolt into the top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008VersysShockSpring.jpg (10.3 KB, 228 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Find attached rear suspension travel information.

I was surprised to see that my hugger hit the battery box at 4.4in of wheel travel. The bottom out bumper begins to crush at 3 3/4" of travel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008VersysRearSuspTravel.jpg (16.4 KB, 200 views)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 01:09 PM

Interesting to see how the spring rates changed with compression, it certainly doesn't look to be that progressive. Good info there.

Pretty big difference in travel compared to spec. When you did the wheel/suspension travel test, was the starting position a fully extended shock with no load on it and preload set to minimum? BTW, my Powerbronze hugger also hits the battery box when the suspension bottoms out.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Starting point was with shock fully extended. Preload has no effect on shock length (other than to force it to be fully extended). The spring was not installed while I was measuring. To get the upper ranges of wheel travel shock was removed.

Last edited by Phoneman064; 05-19-2010 at 01:53 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 02:00 PM

Good information. I agree that Kawasaki did a good job of aiming for the center ergos, considering heavier riders and passenger/cargo. I left mine at the factory settings, and I weigh 160.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 02:42 PM

damn...that's good spring info...now I better go look at my hugger...yea, it's got a scar on it, too. next tire will be a 60 series storm2, then I can lower the hugger, but modding the battery box could be better in the long run...now I better go look at that...

Last edited by tomla; 05-19-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode