E85 / FlexFuel - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question E85 / FlexFuel

I'm not going to even think about this until the warranty is extremely expired, but I was curious if anyone else has considered running it in their bike...

I've seen some motorcycle conversion kits:

http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/Pa...te=Powersports

Is there anything on the Versys that could absolutely prevent its use?

I don't want to go into the political aspects of it (waste of food, crops, water, etc.) - I just can't ignore the fact that its cost is far less than other gas around here... I'm pretty convinced that far better methods of producing E85 will come along (algae, waste products, and so on). I don't want this thread to be about that - I just want to focus on the technical aspects of using it in the V.

Last edited by lost84001; 07-20-2008 at 02:38 PM. Reason: l
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:13 PM

I have heard that high ethanol content fuel can dissolve the rubber components in the fuel system - lines/gaskets/orings/etc.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 08:48 AM

I was wondering when this topic would come up. I've been considering the same thing myself. I can't speak for the Kawi, but I've been running E85 in my Acura for two years with no troubles.

Well, I shouldn't say no troubles...every once in a while the charge pipe blows off the turbo... at about 15 psi boost, tire wear has definitely accelerated, and I've developed a pain on my right buttocks because my wallet is stuffed with cash that would have otherwise been paid out for premium gas.

As a general rule, it seems like there are the rumors of what E85 will do, then there is reality. If you want to tap into a big dose of reality, there is a good forum at:

http://e85vehicles.com/e85/index.php

I'm a member over there, too. But in general, just a bunch of guys - and a few gals who actually mod vehicles and run E85 - or other variants of ethanol / gasoline mix.

In short, the rules seem to be:

- Modern fuel systems and the polymers used in them are compatible with ethanol, up to E85 blend. If you have old cork gaskets, carburetors, natural leather seals, etc - these might need some work.

- You'll need to deliver about 20% more fuel. This can be done in various ways. An aftermarket controller can be used to widen the pulse width of the stock injectors if they have enough headroom in the duty cycle. Or larger injectors / higher fuel pressure can be used so that the ECU just dumps in more fuel at the same pulse width.

- Stock timing seems to be OK, although slight performance / economy gains can be had by tweaking it a bit.

- You will have a bit lower 'mpg' Generally high compression engines seem to do better with E85. I'd expect ~15% lower mpg with E85, although this will be somewhat made up, if not completely negated by the lower price.

- The door is wide open to engine mods that increase performance. Also expect a bit more low end torque due to E85's different burning characteristics.

Lastly,
- Cold starting can be a bit of an issue. I've started my car OK down into the teens, and generally E85 becomes E70 or so during the winter to ease starting. Although if your bike sets out in sub zero weather and you plan to ride, it might need a little more cranking to get started.

Corey

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey872 View Post
Well, I shouldn't say no troubles...every once in a while the charge pipe blows off the turbo... at about 15 psi boost, tire wear has definitely accelerated, and I've developed a pain on my right buttocks because my wallet is stuffed with cash that would have otherwise been paid out for premium gas.
LOL

Nice! I'm hopeful that a braver soul than me will give it a try soon... I'd love to have this as an option. The cost savings are hard to ignore (even with a slight reduction in MPG)

http://e85prices.com/colorado.html
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 08:30 AM

Glad you appreciate my attempt at humor. But, you get the point - E85 does pretty well in modern, fuel injected engines - and it really stands out if you have the means to use some of the octane potential.

Colorado is really a gold mine as far as relatively cheap E85 - especially compared to your high regular gas prices. I don't do quite as well around here, but it still saves money.

http://e85prices.com/kansas/lawrence.html

To 'convert' the V, my first thought would be the injectors / fuel pressure route. But really, considering buying all that, tearing into the engine to install it, and so on - it might not cost that much more to simply install a power commander and re map it for E85. Assuming the OEM injectors have enough headroom to accommodate the extra fuel.

I'd have to do a little more research - but it seems like the PC is something that a guy could make maps at home on his computer? I know there are some for download, so it would be pretty easy to tweak one of those, or maybe if enough people expressed interest, the PC folks would tune an E85 map.

Corey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode