Assistance on Accessories please - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Assistance on Accessories please

Hi, I am about to place an order for the 650ABS but am ordering unseen as the is only one Kawasaki dealer in Cambodia (just opened) and they don't have a Versys 650ABS. It would have to be ordered from Thailand with 4 week delivery.

Much of my decisions on accessories are based upon forums, ride reports and published photos which are vague.

I have pretty much decided I will go with the OEM Topbox and use SW-Motech 37 litre panniers but I need to decide on:
  • skidplate: really needed in Cambodia
  • engine guards: just being protective
  • auxilary lights: should I use the Kawasaki accessory items
  • centrestand: essential here as side of the road maintenance means I cannot carry a jiffy stand.
  • horn: important here. most pedestrians expect a motorcycle to be travelling at 30kph and need to scare big black Lexus 470 SUVs

Anything ordered would have to come from Thailand, Singapore or elsewhere with a minimum lead time of 3 to 6 weeks plus difficulties on custom clearance so single shipments are preferred.

Opinions and guidance gratefully received....

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
Hi, I am about to place an order for the 650ABS but am ordering unseen as the is only one Kawasaki dealer in Cambodia (just opened) and they don't have a Versys 650ABS. It would have to be ordered from Thailand with 4 week delivery.

Much of my decisions on accessories are based upon forums, ride reports and published photos which are vague.

I have pretty much decided I will go with the OEM Topbox and use SW-Motech 37 litre panniers but I need to decide on:
  • centrestand: essential here as side of the road maintenance means I cannot carry a jiffy stand.
  • horn: important here. most pedestrians expect a motorcycle to be travelling at 30kph and need to scare big black Lexus 470 SUVs

Anything ordered would have to come from Thailand, Singapore or elsewhere with a minimum lead time of 3 to 6 weeks plus difficulties on custom clearance so single shipments are preferred.

Opinions and guidance gratefully received....

Thanks
http://www.twistedthrottle.com
http://www.revzilla.com

The SW-Motech engine bars are better quality than the Givi engine bars. Givi make the OEM top box I think so it may be cheaper with a Givi logo. Check ebay as there are a lot of Givi retailers on it.

You can purchase a rear pit stand and lift spools on Ebay very cheaply. The rear swing arm is already drilled and threaded for them. It also works better than a kickstand to elevate the rear wheel. Only issue is you cannot travel with it.

I'm not a huge fan of handguards for this bike having ridden the bike both with and without and dealt with several turning lock interference issues they caused. A set of barkbusters will protect your brake and clutch levers at $180 however a spare lever only costs $10 and takes <5 min to install with basic tools by the roadside. Cheap enough to order a replacement set just to have handy on Ebay. Also they can cause the handle bars to bend in a crash as they localize crash forces on the bar. I've replaced two handle bars because of this issue. Finally they interfere if you ever install steel braided brake lines and also with some windshield models and with the power socket in the dashboard - if you have anything plugged in to it. IMO consider them more a style accessory than a functional accessory.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-03-2015 at 02:02 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG View Post

Welcome and enjoy your Versys when you get it.

Engine guards: I have SW-Motech very easy to fit and in 3 zero speed drops have saved engine casings from damage.

Centrestand: good luck SW-Motech make one for the 2012 - 2014 but it's very expensive.

Horn: I have a Wolo Bad Boy fitted it's all in one airhorn it's quite loud.

The other thing I would highly recommend is BarkBuster's They have saved my clutch lever in the 3 drops mentioned above as well as provide protection for your hands.

A couple of videos for you to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bEDVpLvP_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XudvK9mBdpA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode