Gadget Review - Grease Ninja - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Gadget Review - Grease Ninja

Recently purchased one of these. It's not quite as slick as the video suggests but still works great. My two favorite things about it are that it gets the lube just where it should be, on both the inside and outside O rings on the chain which is surprisingly hard to do with just a spray can with the inside O ring. It also eliminates overspray on the bike or rear tire and you end up using a lot less lube. No clogging issues with Dupont Chain Saver but might be an issue with some lubes like chain waxes which gum up or thick greases.

http://www.greaseninja.com/id6.html

Pros:
- uses less lube with no wastage - ~50% less and gets more of of it on the chain
- no need to shield the bike or rear wheel with cardboard or paper towel, no overspray
- gets lube on the inside of the chain which is very hard to do with a spray can, perfectly deposits lube on the top, on both sides where it is needed
- costs $15 US plus $1.65 shipping within continental US

Negs:
- takes a few uses to get proficient at using it, on first use the straw came out of the can a few times and the wire thing that goes around the can needed to be bent to fit a regular size can
- too big and bulky to take with you and too big to store in a regular tool box; you have to find someplace to store it in your garage where the straws won't get lost or misplaced
- might as well order the replacement straw kit for an extra $3 as the original straw will eventually get misplaced or broken
- shipping outside of the US is + $5 US
- you need a different Grease Ninja for every different size chain

Summary: Well worth the cost IMO if you are the kind of person who lubes their chain frequently. It becomes easier and quicker to use the more I use it. No overspray and perfect distribution of lube on the chain are it's best features.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-25-2016 at 12:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
WWED......What Would (Fast)Eddie Do???

Great writeup twowheels...it certainly does look like that little piece would make lubing the Versys chain (or any chain) much easier and much less sloppy :yeah smile:

I for one am a member of The Sloppy Lubin' the Chain Club and can use all the help that I can when I start spraying the lube.

HOWEVER..... I do wonder just how this compares with the method that FastEddie uses when he lathers up that WD-40 and sprays it all over the place
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
A great approach to it. The gizmo is clever..

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
thanks for sharing.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 03:22 AM

Another Chain Solvent cleaner application

A new kind of solvent brush with plastic brillo pads that spirals 3 times around chain. The solvent was double price at $16, but I won't need to buy again since I'll just keep the spiral if it works ok.

It seemed to work all right. It's difficult to say. The main thing evidently is to clean and oil it every couple of hundred miles. With the 530 chain on my 1993 Nighthawk, it was a monster and you could not damage it no matter how you neglected it (to a point.) These 520 chains on the Versys require much more maintenance for the lighter weight chain. The DID gold chain helps lubricate the chain with slick hard surfaces and gives it needed strength. So far, so good with my big a$$.

Maybe the spiral solvent brush would work good with the oiler tested on the thread - ??

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyOne View Post
...HOWEVER..... I do wonder just how this compares with the method that FastEddie uses when he lathers up that WD-40 and sprays it all over the place
HOW else you gonna get wheel-spin in ALL 6 gears...?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Recently purchased one of these. It's not quite as slick as the video suggests but still works great. My two favorite things about it are that it gets the lube just where it should be, on both the inside and outside O rings on the chain which is surprisingly hard to do with just a spray can with the inside O ring. It also eliminates overspray on the bike or rear tire and you end up using a lot less lube. No clogging issues with Dupont Chain Saver but might be an issue with some lubes like chain waxes which gum up or thick greases.

Tech Info

Pros:
- uses less lube with no wastage - ~50% less and gets more of of it on the chain
- no need to shield the bike or rear wheel with cardboard or paper towel, no overspray
- gets lube on the inside of the chain which is very hard to do with a spray can, perfectly deposits lube on the top, on both sides where it is needed
- costs $15 US plus $1.65 shipping within continental US

Negs:
- takes a few uses to get proficient at using it, on first use the straw came out of the can a few times and the wire thing that goes around the can needed to be bent to fit a regular size can
- too big and bulky to take with you and too big to store in a regular tool box; you have to find someplace to store it in your garage where the straws won't get lost or misplaced
- might as well order the replacement straw kit for an extra $3 as the original straw will eventually get misplaced or broken
- shipping outside of the US is + $5 US
- you need a different Grease Ninja for every different size chain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV-hkf-nhvg
+1 on the Grease Ninja. It is all that is stated above. I used it for the first time on Saturday. Less than one minute and the chain was lubed, with absolutely no mess!

Not a precision looking device, but absolutely did what it was designed to do, fast and clean.

2015 Versys 1000LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode