Stebel Air Horn - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
jb7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stebel Air Horn

Question for you guys who have installed the Stebel Nautilus Compact Motorcycle Air Horn. Will it fit in place of the original horn using the stock bracket, or is it necessary to fabricate a new bracket. I like the looks of it insatalled in the stock horn location. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Guys here have put it on the stock bracket, under the left fairing i used the bracket that is next to the right top right hand side of the engine

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-30-2010 at 06:23 AM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 02:40 AM

Stock bracket works fine. Just run a piece of clear tubing from the horn's air intake to a (dry) place so that it doesn't suck up any water.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:03 AM

I used the stock bracket just like Hammer...but I still need to run the tubing. It has worked great and is facing forward where I generally want the sound going.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
jb7

Thanks for the answers, I'm going to get a horn on order. Planning to use the
Plug-n-play wiring harness that is available from Biker Hiway to wire up the horn. Thanks again.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:43 AM

The stock horn mount worked OK for me with a bit of bending and a spacer to push it forward away from the body work.

That was my comment earlier in this thread. Well, here's an update. If you're considering mounting your Stebel in the OEM location, you might want to reconsider.

While giving my bike a once-over yesterday, I noticed the threaded tab where the stock horn mounts...the same tab I attached the Stebel to...had cracked. I assume it's a result of stress from the extra weight of the Stebel. A bit of JB Weld fixed the crack, but I no longer feel comfortable using or recommending the OEM location.

I remounted the horn in the space under the left side body panel (the tank colored panel that attaches to the tank). I split the compressor from the trumpet, reattached the trumpet on the opposite side of the compressor, and used a big zip tie to hold it in place to the compressor. The same clear plastic tubing that I use to keep water from coming into the compressor's intake nipple works perfect for feeding the compressor's output nipple (which is exposed when you split the compressor and trumpet) into the trumpet's intake. A piece of 1.8" aluminum stock ($4 at Home Depot) got drilled and bent to shape so the horn sits in the empty space with plenty of clearance all around. Only change to the wiring was a longer hot lead from the relay to the horn. HONK!

Probably should have taken this approach in the first place.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

Last edited by Bones; 08-18-2010 at 10:18 AM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:58 AM

Here is a link to a previous Stebel thread. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ht=stebel+horn I mounted my Stebel under the left fairing like Fasteddiecopman in that link. I can't help but think if the horn was up front in the stock position it wouldn't eventually be affected by rain, rocks, etc...

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:45 AM

Yes, it also fits fine there if one has SW-Motec engine guards.

It looks close in this picture, but I can slide my finger in between the horn and everything surrounding it.
Be sure to run a fused hot wire from the battery and use a 12V relay, as the horn uses quite a bit of juice.

This one has lot' o miles in the rain, both on this bike any the bike it was previously mounted on.

TIP: whatever you do, after installation resist the urge to test it in the garage without earplugs. DAMHIK...

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

Last edited by bscott; 05-17-2010 at 10:48 AM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 08:04 PM

Can anyone tell me what gauge wire to use from the battery and to ground? 30 amp fuse so is that like a 12 gauge wire? Also, no instructions with the horn so from what I'm reading here the little plastic barb included with the horn is for the air intake and the hose should be run to a location that does not get water. Thanks everyone!!

09 Versys
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Versys View Post
Can anyone tell me what gauge wire to use from the battery and to ground? 30 amp fuse so is that like a 12 gauge wire? Also, no instructions with the horn so from what I'm reading here the little plastic barb included with the horn is for the air intake and the hose should be run to a location that does not get water. Thanks everyone!!
Installed the Stebel a few weeks ago in the stock location. Ran the 30-amp fused line from the battery and was able to use the stock horn wires to activate the relay mounted under the left tank fairing. All silliconed up and intake tube run to the top of the trees to avoid water (behind the fairing). Couldn't stand the galvanized look so I took the compressor off and painted it black. As others have said.. THIS IS A LOUD HORN Also installed a 12-volt watertight outlet next to the gauge panel while I was at it for GPS, MP3, Phone, ect.

09 Versys
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 06:26 PM

Hi,

Being elecricity challenged does anyone have good instructions as to how to wire the horn & relay please? I looked at the instructions that came with the horn, but my old eyes can't see the tiny print too well.

I am interested in the colour of the wires that you use from the old horn, and how do you trace the existing horn button wires?

Thanks in advance

2008 RED Versys
1977 Triumph Bonneville
1967 Mustang
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebee View Post
Hi,

Being elecricity challenged does anyone have good instructions as to how to wire the horn & relay please? I looked at the instructions that came with the horn, but my old eyes can't see the tiny print too well.

I am interested in the colour of the wires that you use from the old horn, and how do you trace the existing horn button wires?

Thanks in advance
Try this set of instructions from Twisted Throttle. Color of the wire you use does not matter, but I prefer the standard red for positive and black for negative. I used 10 gauge wire from a local autoparts store for the horn power and ground and also picked up the inline fuse from them. I used crimp on end connectors that were heat shrink rapped and used additional shrink where needed. I used sillicone at the relay and the bottom of the horn to protect the connectors. As for the original horn wires, just remove them from the original stock horn and use them to activate the relay. I'm not sure the colors but I just tested each wire with a continuity meter between each of the wires and ground until I found which one was ground. Make sure to disconnect the battery before you start.

steble instruction.pdf

09 Versys
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 08:26 PM

Thanks Green Versys, I will have a go this weekend.

I have all the wire, connectors and shrink tube, but when I had a look at the wiring I thought this is something I should ask about before I go ahead and fry something.

Steve

2008 RED Versys
1977 Triumph Bonneville
1967 Mustang
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 08:25 AM

This is not a steble but about the same size. I mounted it under the left upper fairing. It's out of the weather and works fine. I simply used some black electrical ties to mout the actual horn and ran some extension wires from the original horn location. Works great and no clearance problems with the forks.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 04-10-2012 at 06:15 PM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 09:16 PM

what am I doing wrong?

I just connected my second horn and wiring harness from twisted throttle and just as the first one it's not working. I have everything wired just as the directions say, the relay is clicking but the horn won't blow. any ideas?
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 10:26 PM

If everything is wired correctly and the relay is clicking then your first thing to check would be if you actually have a good ground on the horn itself. You should just be using the original wires from the stock horn to actuate the relay. At which point you only need to run power through the relay to the horn and then ground the horn itself. Did they send you a new relay with the new horn? There is a possibility you don't have good continuity through circuit 30, even with the relay clicking, it's a long shot, but possible. But I would check your horn ground first.

Mike
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 10:30 PM

I've tried two different relays. I grounded the horn to a radiator mounting bolt. I'll try another place tomorrow when my roommate isn't sleeping
Thanks!
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 06:37 AM

Finally put my on.
I wanted to put it in the same spot as weljo2001, but my mechanic (yes, I needed help) wouldn't let me because he thought it was ugly.
So I put it as many others have, upside-down under the left fairing.
Had to build a bracket to carry it but other then that it's an easy enough job*.

*Unless both mechanic and you get cocky towards the end of assembly and connect the wires incorrectly and then little copper spring that supports the horn button burns instead of the fuse on first test run.
Luckily, there was a run down scooter ready to donate it's horn-button spring so all well what ends well.

Important!
Make sure everyone covers their ears when this thing is activated.
People said it was loud and I thought they were exaggerating but this is a boat horn!

Here are some pictures of the bracket. Similar to what others have done.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 08:03 AM

I'm pretty sure in the directions it said it had to be mounted right side up. Might want to look into that a bit closer. Had something to do with the oiling of the compressor.
Here is a link to a very easily made bracket. Scroll down to Fasteddiecopman's 3 pics. That is the approach I used. Same place, different orientation.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ht=stebel+horn

BTW...Yes it is freaking LOUD!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 08:21 AM

I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. I used fast Eddie's pictures as a guide, made a bracket, tried bending a stagger in it a few different ways and tried it flat too. I also rotated the horn/bracket position several ways and I couldnt find a way that it would fit in the space behind the fairing. After a half a day, I went on to another project and decided to revisit it later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode