Adding electrical gadgets - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Adding electrical gadgets

Just wondering, how easy is it to add electrics to a Versys. Things like GPS power, driving lights, power port, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:30 AM

as easy as any other bike...

theres plenty of capacity in the alternator sufficient to run heated clothing (I think the alternator is capable of generating around 330 watts, but I can't remember what the spare capacity is mind you, ie the amount available less whats required by the bike to run, show lights and recharge the battery and so on ). at the back of my mind I have a slight suspicion that the available power is about 200 watts... however I don't remember where that comes from and can't find any 'proof' that figure is correct - so DO NO rely on it.

most GPS's (and other electronic devices.. with the exception of transceivers) take minimal current so they shouldn't be a problem, its things like additional lighting and heated clothing that could draw to much current. I know you can run heated jackets and trousers and heated grips OR riding/fog lights, however running all depending on how much power they consume could be a problem. one thing to bear in mind is if you are running the electrical system at or near full capacity componenets will be running hotter and some Versys's have had problems with the rectifier connections leading to failure and for those in warranty a new wiring harness and a significant workshop delay.

fitting the electrical stuff could be an issue depending on how adept or scared you are at electrics. its relatively trivial stuff assuming you can find the parts (all you really need is some electrical cable, a standard 4 pin auto relay and so on). if you don't want to source your own parts you can get a handy 3 fused relay assembly from "Eastern Beaver" thats a breeze to fit.

If you are short of connections you could consider wiring the GPS into the headlight or even side/running light... but don't put any high draw devices on that connection.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 03:28 PM

Suggest you start by installing a FZ-1 relay off the low-beam. Then attach the other devicess to the relay.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 12:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
Suggest you start by installing a FZ-1 relay off the low-beam. Then attach the other devicess to the relay.

The FZ-1 will give you 6 circuits that you can choose to have switched or 'open' (always available but liable to run the battery flat)

The low beam is the best source for the ignition, because the light goes out for starting.

Depending on your GPS you may want that on an open circuit so you don't have to re-set it when you stop for gas, etc.

Good luck

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Cruiseman.

Its easy. I just keep adding without any probelm. Just follow basis rules-RELAY and you are good to go and I dont use all the add on at the same time. Some of the add on below:-

Driving Lights

Super Horn.

GPS/Gear Indicator/Chain Oiler.

Cigar Lighter

Bag Brake lights

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:23 AM

Electric stuff

I have added:
2 extra brake lights
xm / Ipod radio plus antenna
Zumo gps
radar detector
driving lights
Plye stereo speakers plus amp

everything has relays and I am looking for a digital amp gauge, Not a volt meter. I want to make sure that I am not using more amps that my elect. system can replace.

Cb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00676.JPG (151.0 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00677.JPG (148.2 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00680.JPG (126.0 KB, 154 views)
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:39 AM

Get one of these: http://www.fuzeblocks.com/

Mine is mounted in the space directly under the seat where it's protected from the weather, easy to access, and easy to wire. You can choose to attach your devices hot wired or switched, choose your own fuse rating, the ground bus is built in (decent grounds are hard to come by on the Versys) and the relay is built in. The whole device is compact and beautifully designed. Curt Gran, who developed the FZ-1, is a serious long-distance motorcycle rider who thought this product through with experience and consideration. He's also a great person. You won't go wrong with a Fuzeblock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:03 AM

+1 on the Fuzeblock. Very easy to install and add devices. Devices can be switched or unswitched with just a move of a fuse.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Get one of these: http://www.fuzeblocks.com/

Mine is mounted in the space directly under the seat where it's protected from the weather, easy to access, and easy to wire. You can choose to attach your devices hot wired or switched, choose your own fuse rating, the ground bus is built in (decent grounds are hard to come by on the Versys) and the relay is built in. The whole device is compact and beautifully designed. Curt Gran, who developed the FZ-1, is a serious long-distance motorcycle rider who thought this product through with experience and consideration. He's also a great person. You won't go wrong with a Fuzeblock.
Could you post a photo of how you have your FZ-1 mounted?
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1313 View Post
I have added:
2 extra brake lights
xm / Ipod radio plus antenna
Zumo gps
radar detector
driving lights
Plye stereo speakers plus amp

everything has relays and I am looking for a digital amp gauge, Not a volt meter. I want to make sure that I am not using more amps that my elect. system can replace.

Cb
cb1313-Try this link for a nice volt meter. Design just for the versys

http://digilander.libero.it/JH61/index.htm

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 08:31 AM

I vote for a PC-8 from Jim @ Eastern Beaver myself...

30A total, 6 switched, 2 constant. Switched through a 30A relay to the battery as well.

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 08:34 AM

Not to make things more confusing for you but another option is either the Centech AP-1 or AP-2. The AP-1 has 8 switched circuits so they are less likely to run your battery down if you forget and leave something switched on. The AP-2 has 5 switched circuits and 3 "on all the time" circuits to connect things that have a memory that requires power and a very low power demand. Both devices are fuse blocks with electronic circuit boards and require a separate relay. The FZ-1 has a relay built in. I used the AP-1 and AP-2 on two different bikes so that if one component fails, that's all you have to replace. I have the AP-1 installed under the seat of the Versys. I don't have a picture yet but I do have a picture of the AP-2 installed on my Suzuki DR650SE. I will attach it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AP-2 fuse block uncovered-1.jpg (82.5 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg AP-2 fuse block with cover.jpg (77.0 KB, 189 views)
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiseman View Post
Could you post a photo of how you have your FZ-1 mounted?
Here goes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 012.jpg (249.6 KB, 246 views)

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

The FZ-1 looks like an elegant solution as it allows you to choose between switched or constant connections, I supposed based on how the fuse is installed. I am a little confused as to where the +VT wire comes from. Needless to say, I am not an electronic genius.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiseman View Post
The FZ-1 looks like an elegant solution as it allows you to choose between switched or constant connections, I supposed based on how the fuse is installed. I am a little confused as to where the +VT wire comes from. Needless to say, I am not an electronic genius.
I took it from the tail light. Make sure you don't use the brakelight wire like i initially did. DOH!
Here is a really good link to fuzeblock mounting/wiring project. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...eferrerid=1947

Last edited by StonedGP; 05-17-2010 at 08:18 PM.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 09:06 PM

Nice thread guys!
I got one for the TDM from Wing Man, I'm thinking like $25. But these are definitely an upgrade. Great mounting ideas as well!
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:25 PM

I added a fuse block and some heated grips with an inline fuse, using the tail light. I need to add a power outlet to charge my phone while driving on long trips. Can I simply attach the power outlet to the same fuse block with another inline fuse? Just worried about drawing too much power off the tail light......???? Thanks.

EDIT: I did NOT install a fuseblock, just a distribution block...Hence the inline fuse!

Last edited by tenover; 05-17-2010 at 10:27 PM.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenover View Post
I added a fuse block and some heated grips with an inline fuse, using the tail light. I need to add a power outlet to charge my phone while driving on long trips. Can I simply attach the power outlet to the same fuse block with another inline fuse? Just worried about drawing too much power off the tail light......???? Thanks.

EDIT: I did NOT install a fuseblock, just a distribution block...Hence the inline fuse!
What's the difference between Fuseblock and distribution block, any images will be fine.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 12:20 AM

There are no fuses in the block. All gadgets can be wired directly to this distribution block, but need inline fuses. At least that's how I understand it. I did it using a link posted on this forum.....
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 10:32 AM

The one I got from Wing Man is a Fuse Block. There are six fuse slots and screws to power your accessories. The power comes from the battery to the fuse block. Big Wire. Switching (only on when the key is on) comes from a switched source (like tail lights) with a T tap or similar via a relay.
Looks like the FZ1 and the AP-2 have some non-switched connections too, which means you can run the GPS to the block as well. You also gain the ability to charge bluetooth headsets overnight while camping!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode