Seat Lowering - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Seat Lowering

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new here. I think this is an appropriate place for this post. If not please move it.

I am about to get a 2015 V 1000 LT. I did a test ride about a week ago. I've always been a straight up cruiser guy. I get a new bike every 2-4 years because I get bored easy. The last few years the sport/touring, adventure/touring type rides have really begun to appeal to me.

I never had a bike I couldn't flatfoot. The V is a pretty tall bike to say the least. Sitting on the V, the balls of my feet touch the ground to where I can move the bike pretty well, but my heal does not touch. I would like to flat foot it. I have never had a bike I can't flat foot in all the years I've been riding. It is quite high.

I have a guy that does customs seats. He can shave about an inch or so off the stock seat and put a gel pack inside, getting me about 1-1.5 inches closer to the ground for about $180.00. I also don't really like feeling like I am falling into the gas tank because of the slant of the seat, so I will see if he can make it flatter.

I know there are lowering kits for the V, but I'd rather not get into that, since I am pretty close to the ground now. The salesman barely pushed down on the luggage rack while I was sitting on the bike and I could completely flatfoot the bike.

My question is, have any of you out there lowered the seat on your V? If so, what are your pros and cons, if any?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to a whole new kind of riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
id really say get the lowering block
then you dont have to custom the seat
it lowers the rear 1.8 inch and you lower the front (move the forks up in the triple trees) 1 inch and the seat is in a much more level angle and alot better for not ball bashing the tank

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
otrp, welcome aboard.

I'm in the same quandary. Brand new '15 650 LT. I'm 5'10". What I've found is that the bike does seem to have settled a slight amount after 100+ miles of riding. The only time I feel uncomfortable is while backpedaling the bike in my garage to work it in next to my car. While riding and stopped at a stop light, I can easily flatfoot one foot, with the other still on the peg, and feel quite comfortable doing it.

The forward tilt on the seat bothers me, as does the amount of vibration in the seat which leaves me a bit numb.

Either solution, the seat mod or the lowering kit, seems like a viable one to address both the high seat and the forward slip on the seat. I am probably going to go with the seat mod first so that I can put in a gel pad (this one https://wondergel.com/index.php/seat...-no-cover.html. Seatconcepts.com offers a kit which will raise the nose of the seat, so that is another inexpensive option.

The lowering kit is supposed to be quite easy to install oneself. Unless you're riding on really rough roads you should have plenty of suspension travel remaining after installing the kit.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 08:52 PM

If you can get the Kaw low gel seat used, then you could also put a center stand on it too. Seats are always the cleaner solution for raising and lowering. It gets complicated lowering it with critical steering angles front and rear; and you won't figure it out until you scrape something some time (or WORSE, funky wearing tires - $,$$$.)

You gotta do what you think is best, but if you can do it with the oem lowered Kaw gel seat, why not? Then you should just need to lower the pegs and you're done hopefully. 5'-10" depending on your inseam should be the limit on the oem seat, so the lowered gel seat should rock. Of course they go from $200 - $300 used. If you get a new bike anywhere, it's not hard to get the dealer to give you 1/2 off oem parts since that is their markup anyway. Dealers wont lower price usually (due to oem contract), but they will give good parts deals without any pushing at all: just ask!

They are already pocketing deals on your sold bike you do not even know about most likely

Last edited by kawdog; 06-22-2015 at 10:19 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your info and comments. I appreciate it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 12:49 PM
BKP

Garage
The problem with a lowered seat is it changes your leg geometry (you're sitting closer to the pegs), which means a more cramped position -- which, IMHO, detracts from the bike's comfort.
Motowerk's lowering kit is really a work of art. You sacrifice minimum clearance (unless you're doing major trail rides, which the Versys really isn't targeted at), and you'll be flatfooting the bike with no change in leg geometry.
I changed my stocker seat out, anyway. Not to lower it, but rather for more comfort, and a more level plane.

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 01:04 PM

When I first got my Versys I thought it was too tall for me and was really uncomfortable in stop and go city traffic... Now I'm used to it and I'm very happy that I didn't lower it.

The bike is supposed to be tall, so you can look down on all the little people around you!

Point being, ride it for a while first and it might just grow on you.

FYI: I'm 6' and 165lbs; I also found that softening the preload front and rear helps compress the suspension and naturally lowers the bike when you sit on it.

Welcome

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 05:26 AM

This is what I have on my '15 Thou

http://soupysperformance.com/kawasaki/versys-1000.html

I ride with reasonable vigor where I can but I'm no Casey Stoner. I haven't notice any derogatory handling issues and I have lowered approx 40mm. I'm 168cm with a 74cm inside seam (5'6" and 29"). I now flat foot and feel much more secure on uneven ground.

5000km with the link fitted and no issues so far. The bonus for me was this is a fully adjustable solution.

Ian
Growing Older is Inevitable, Growing Up is Optional.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will look into all the options.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 03:36 AM
ggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
The problem with a lowered seat is it changes your leg geometry (you're sitting closer to the pegs), which means a more cramped position -- which, IMHO, detracts from the bike's comfort.
Motowerk's lowering kit is really a work of art. You sacrifice minimum clearance (unless you're doing major trail rides, which the Versys really isn't targeted at), and you'll be flatfooting the bike with no change in leg geometry.
I changed my stocker seat out, anyway. Not to lower it, but rather for more comfort, and a more level plane.
spot on hear unless you have small legs, get lowering kit, slide the forks up the clamps and get the lower foot pegs from speedy at the same time,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode