Whirring noise coming from engine/chain with videos - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Whirring noise coming from engine/chain with videos

Versys newbie here hoping for some help from the vets.

A little background first. I purchased my 2009 Kawasaki Versys 650 last October from a great seller in the Denver area. He actually rode it all the way out to Lincoln, Nebraska for me. I bought the bike with about 4,200 miles on it. It currently has about 6,000 miles on it. The bike itself is in immaculate shape and until recently, I never had any issues with it.

A few weeks ago, I cleaned and lubed the chain for the first time since I have owned it. Since then, whenever I'm in gear and on the throttle, I'm hearing a whirring noise down by my left foot. It's very loud. The sound dissipates completely when I pull the clutch in, and/or I'm in neutral.

I thought it was odd that this sound would appear right after I clean/lubed the chain, so I figured this noise was caused by something with the chain, and not the engine.

This morning, I put my bike up on some stands and I took apart some of the plastic bits near the front sprocket and cleaned/lubed that whole area. I also took some video, which I'll post below. The noise did not go away after I took it out on the road.

I would really appreciate any insight from those of you out there with much more experience with this bike than me. I'm hoping to figure this out without taking it to a shop. Much thanks.

Is this clicking noise normal? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ep0wUSb6Q

No Video

Should the chain move that much when in gear? Is it moving around because I have the bike up on a stand? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ealcNdvX-8

No Video

Last edited by Yeti; 06-21-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 05:19 PM

invader's the expert on this site, but it looks like your links are binding up. I assume you adjusted it at the tightest chain position.

My 2012 did the same thing with about your miles, from previous neglect, and you've also got magnesium residue from Denver road salting (I'd wash your bike as good and deep as possible.) If the PO did not oil it just going to your house from Denver, that would be enough to screw it up by itself.

Anyway, DID gold stockpro chain and Sunstar sprockets were about $150 total (Amazon and/or ebay.) Cleaning chain with solvent, lube, and towel is a ritual most owners do not do (after you ride coming home): 10 minutes twice a week for my mileage usually. It keeps the pretty gold chain shiny!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
What's heard in the video is normal as you're rotating chain backwards... How's your chain tension with rear suspension fully extended? You rear wheel alignment is likely off, even if you refer to the marks on swingarm. Check alignment with a straight edge or alignment tool (Motion Pro).

Can't see the pics, but alignment looks off in second video. Is your chain hitting the side of your tire? Chain seems to be unevenly stretched like mine was. I had to replace it at 2600 miles.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Because this is my first motorcycle, I ended up taking it to a local shop and had them look it over. Apart from a minor adjustment of the chain, they told me the bike was fine. Alignment was ok. However, the sound is still there when I'm on the throttle.

I guess I'll have to live with the sound. I just don't understand why it wasn't making the noise early on after I purchased the bike.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
when did you last oil your chain? could have been well lubed when you got it and now that its drying out its makeing some noise

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 04:27 PM

You are cleaning and oiling your chain every couple of hundred miles, aren't you? Get a gold one the next time: it's only less than $10 more than a good one anyway. Gold cleans and lubes better, and they look so much better.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
when did you last oil your chain? could have been well lubed when you got it and now that its drying out its makeing some noise
I cleaned/lubed my chain right before the noise appeared. I've cleaned it since then and the noise is still present. Starting to wonder now if the noise is not related to the chain at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
You are cleaning and oiling your chain every couple of hundred miles, aren't you? Get a gold one the next time: it's only less than $10 more than a good one anyway. Gold cleans and lubes better, and they look so much better.
Yes, sir. I'll keep the gold chain in mind when I'm due for a new one. The shop I took my bike in said that my current chain is ok. I assume it's the original chain from 2009. 6300 miles on it so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode