Mounting a Garmin Zumo 550 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mounting a Garmin Zumo 550

Does anyone have a Zumo 550 mounted to their V that they can show photos of? Any ideas on mounting brackets, RAM, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I got photos on my home computer. mounted with a motowerks mount i can send you after 4pm today

www.motowerk.com

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 04:02 PM

Garage
Theres some more photos in the album section of my profile.

Joseph

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-30-2010 at 06:23 AM.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

That's a nice setup. How do you listen to the prompts? Or, do you?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 04:13 PM

Garage
I have a Scala Rider 2 bluetooth Headset w/6 FM pre-sets plug for an mp3 player also. Amazon.com has the best prices. Scala has a new 4 out that is sweet

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-30-2010 at 06:23 AM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 07:26 PM

I mounted the RAM mirror mount bracket to the windshield bracket & used a small pincher arm to connect the Zumo mount. Used it for the first time today. Worked well. A little vibration but nothing that bothered me. It is close to my line of site and doesn't block any gauges or controls.

Len
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 07:42 PM

if you are buying a 550 then make certain you buy one with the full retail package. there are some reconditioned 550's on the market which don't have all the mounting options thrown in

IIRC the standard 550 come with a (waterproof) bike mount, a car mount with suction cap and a RAM handle bar mount.

I think the Speedy mount is best.. but make certain the mount is predrilled for the gps.

getting the GPS to to talk to a helmet is more problematical, its on my 'todo' list but I remain to be convinced its a must have... periodically looking at the GPS is OK

the speedy & Kawa GPS mounts fix over the clocks and is not to far off the sightline when riding.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenwoj View Post
I mounted the RAM mirror mount bracket to the windshield bracket & used a small pincher arm to connect the Zumo mount. Used it for the first time today. Worked well. A little vibration but nothing that bothered me. It is close to my line of site and doesn't block any gauges or controls.

Len
Len-

How is the visibility with the zumo mounted so high? I pulled mine out today, I cant figure out if I want the handlebar mount or something else.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 08:56 PM

Garage
Theres also this. attaches to the handle bar mounts

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/4461/652/

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 09:00 PM

Yeah, that is one I was looking at. The only issue I have with is if I were to get a tank bag. Price is right though!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 10:59 PM

Zumo

I think I like the ones mounted high above the instruments instead of on the triple handle bar clamp. Kind of like a heads up display

I've been wanting to pick up either a 550 or 660 Zumo too. There is a $100 rebate on them right now. Go to Garmins site and read about it. Good from 5/1 to 7/04. A bunch of the online dealers with the refurb's are advertising prices with the rebate but on the Garmin site and on the form it specifically says "Refurbished or newly overhaouled products do not qualify for the rebate" so I think you would get screwed if you bought from them. There are several places that have them on sale right now though. GPS city etc and they are listed as an authorised dealer on Garmin's website. I'd check the list of them on the site before I bought it. No Amazon.com purchases qualify and ebay only if an authorized dealer.

Anyone used both that can compare? I like the look and buttons on the 550 but the 660 adds stereo blutooth (you can do stereo with an adapter on the 550 from what I hear). I'd like it for maps and music. Wish the 550 had the stereo blue tooth built in.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 04:36 AM

Garage
The best prices i found when i got mine were on www.amazon.com

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 06:11 AM

I use the 550 for music with a Chatterbox XBi2 and it sounds good. What I found is that wearing ear plugs with the helmet speakers sounds even better. It eliminates the wind noise so that you can hear the music and GPS commands better.

I also agree with placing the GPS above the instruments. It makes it really easy to glance at the GPS without taking your eyes completely off of the road. If that option weren't available I would use the SW Motech/Kawasaki option on top of the handle bar holder. Another benefit of the Motowerks mount is that it keeps your GPS out of the rain. It might be waterproof, but I really don't want to test it...that sucker was expensive.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

Last edited by sharrison56; 05-16-2010 at 06:17 AM.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 08:27 AM

Garage
I can tell you for sure the 550 doesn't have a problem getting wet. I ride rain or shine and have been in a few downpours lately. Thats the only reason i got the zumo is because its waterproof. Already had a sweet Navigon 7100 that i liked but didn't want to take a chance screwing it up in the rain

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Just got my 550 from http://www.drivengps.com for $200 plus about $21 for posting on USPS. (It's a "refurb" unit.)
YES - I'll have to get the motorcycle-specific wiring and mount elsewhere, but I figure it's worth it.
For any other Canadians: DrivenGPS is in Washington state, and my package arrived at the post office in 7 days, with NO GST or duties added, so cost me $238.xx Cdn delivered.
I've been using StreetPilot 2610s on my "V" and KLR (the 550 will go onto the KLR), and the 550 is significantly smaller, has an internal battery, and updates for it from the Garmin site are MAC computer friendly!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Just got my 550 from http://www.drivengps.com for $200 plus about $21 for posting on USPS. (It's a "refurb" unit.)
YES - I'll have to get the motorcycle-specific wiring and mount elsewhere, but I figure it's worth it.
That’s one hell of a deal! They’re currently listing the 450 refurb for $400.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
Len-

How is the visibility with the zumo mounted so high? I pulled mine out today, I cant figure out if I want the handlebar mount or something else.
Visibility is great. The top edge of the Zumo comes to just above the top of the main Vario shield which is still around chest height. Did 200 miles with it today, no probs.

Len
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

I just looked at the drivengps.com website and saw the refurbished Garmin 660s. Thos have only been out for a few months, how can there already be refurb units?
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
A lot of refurbs are just units that went thru the 'build' process, then failed one of the tests. When they are fixed they can't be sold as new anymore.

Just ordered the motorcycle specific wiring and mount from http://www.drivengps.com
via Ebay, so the total cost (delivered) is $78.80 US or $83.47 Cdn - hope they come without any extra taxes!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 04:46 PM

FWIW I bought a Zumo 220 w/all intentions of fabricating a bracket to mount it attached to the windscreen bracket. But the package came w/a Ram mount and a handlebar mount, so I tried it first. Because of how close it sits to me [close view and ease of using touch screen on the fly] I have no intention now of mounting it onto the screen brackets. About the only drawback I can foresee will be this fall when I put the Hippo hands back on. It looks like the Zumo will interfere. The difference of distance from screen to face is almost cut in half. Switching focus from looking at road to GPS is not a problem like I thought it might be, as a matter fact looking into the rear view mirrors might be worse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode