Missing front brake caliper bolt - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
4vX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Missing front brake caliper bolt

Anyone had this problem? Again, I'm new to cycling. Today I noticed some "clicking" near the front of the V while backing out of my garage when I applied the front brake. Just over 1K miles, so there can't be anything wrong. While backing up again at the ATM 10 miles later, I heard the same noise (this time with the motor off), looked at the front wheel, and noticed one of the two front left brake caliper bolts was missing and the other was loose! Fortunately for me, the bottom bolt was the one that remained in place and was holding the caliper relatively stationary during forward braking. The clicking noise made since because during backward braking the caliper rotated toward the wheel rim. Who knows how many more miles I had left before an "over the handle bars E ticket ride" while at highway speeds. Next stop, my local Kawi dealer to get an explaination of what my $300 dealer prep included.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wow... I'm glad you caught it on time. When upgrading to Vesrah front pads, I noticed that the front caliper mount bolts' head was a bit soft and easy to strip. I'd like to upgrade them bolts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to scaryfast777 Send a message via Skype™ to scaryfast777
I would be seriously upset with the dealership if this happened to me. I had a somewhat similar situation with my V. Although not as severe as a missing caliper bolt.....the dealership put my whole front wheel on backwards, including tire and rotors which are both directional and are unsafe turning in an improper direction. I would see about getting that $300 back as you avoided them a lawsuit by catching it before something happened.
I can't stand incompetent or lazy people. My guess is you may have had someone with one or both issues work on your bike.

-Scaryfast777

The Secret To Creativity Is knowing How To Hide Your Sources. -Albert Einstein

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:04 AM

hey invader, did yu upgrade the rear pads as well ??? and are those pad vesrah pads pricey?? i would like to upgrade mine but not sure which way to go .
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 12:23 PM

Never ever trust the dealer, I never ride a new bike home. I trailer or put in the back of my truck, then get it home and go over all the critical things. I have had Rider peg bolts left out, over filled tires and oil. A bike I sold to a friend (03 BlackbBird) he took in for a rear tire change, they hand tightened the Rear axle nut. Needless to say it destroyed the Sprockets and chain. But luckily he did not crash from it. Another friend had Chain and sprockets replaced on a YZF 600 and the dealer left one of the chain tensioner nuts off, again she caught it soon after and the dealer had to come get the bike with a trailer and waste more of her time.

AGAIN NEVER TRUST THE DEALER

The guy putting your bike together is the lowest paid employee at the dealership, do you really want to trust him with your life.

Todd
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 12:37 PM

What Todd said. Never trust the dealer. Or maybe it falls under "trust but verify"

That's why I do all the maintenance myself. If it's not right, there is only one person to blame.

Gustavo

Last edited by Gustavo; 11-30-2008 at 08:34 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxman View Post
hey invader, did yu upgrade the rear pads as well ??? and are those pad vesrah pads pricey?? i would like to upgrade mine but not sure which way to go .
I just replaced the front. They were only $30 per side and $30 for the rear in Canada. Vesrah sintered metal brake pads as listed for Ninja 650R...
Front Right: VD-435JL
Front Left: VD-352JL
Rear: VD-434JL
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vX View Post
Anyone had this problem? Again, I'm new to cycling. Today I noticed some "clicking" near the front of the V while backing out of my garage when I applied the front brake. Just over 1K miles, so there can't be anything wrong. While backing up again at the ATM 10 miles later, I heard the same noise (this time with the motor off), looked at the front wheel, and noticed one of the two front left brake caliper bolts was missing and the other was loose! Fortunately for me, the bottom bolt was the one that remained in place and was holding the caliper relatively stationary during forward braking. The clicking noise made since because during backward braking the caliper rotated toward the wheel rim. Who knows how many more miles I had left before an "over the handle bars E ticket ride" while at highway speeds. Next stop, my local Kawi dealer to get an explaination of what my $300 dealer prep included.
Holy cow!

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:26 PM

Caliper problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vX View Post
I heard about the same thing happening to a guy in SC. From my under standing, he felt something hit his foot. Evidently it was the bolts that hold the front caliper on.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
4vX

Visited the dealer today. Tried my best to not go immedately offensive. Let the owner know what the problem was and that I would need a new bolt and caliper. He immediately asked me how many miles I had on the bike and then stated that if the bolts were not properly torqued and Loctited that they would have worked loose around 100 miles. Well, they problably did, and I didn't notice! Little to no care from the owner, just directed me to service. The guy writing the service ticket said, "This bike was probably put together on a Monday or Friday" (as if this happens all the time). I've lost a lot of cofidence in the bike/dealer. Started a methodical inspection of all critical fasteners.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 07:11 AM

Bummer. FYI I noticed mine "clicking" while braking or pushing the front end down last week too, but all the bolts are tight, seems to be coming from my forks...I hope.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 08:19 PM

Got home from a ride tonight and had to do a search for this problem. I was 100 miles from home and lost brakes on the road. Both caliper bolts had fallen out of the right front caliper and my caliper fell off. The left bolts were on the way out too. I was able to slow safely with the rear brake and did not die. But it sure did shake me up badly. Brand new bike, had it for a week.

Absolutely no evidence of any loctite on any of the remaining bolts or the caliper threads.

Wheel is scratched all around from the caliper scraping it, caliper is scraped up too.

Dealer opens Tuesday, I'd really like them to come fetch my bike and give me a new wheel and caliper and a really, really good going over to make sure nothing else is going to fall off.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Wow!! Glad you're ok! That could've easily gone bad. Where are you & what dealer did you buy your bike from? I think I would go over that bike VERY good.

Oh, helluva first post & welcome aboard!!

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 10:36 PM

similar story, my brother took his truck into get something done with the front end and they had to take the brakes off... he got it back and we were driving through town somewhere and this nasty scraping sound with a pulling to the right started and so we drove a little further and parked in a church parking lot. looked at the tire and the top bolt came out and the caliper was grinding against the rim. I was like wtf serious and he stayed pretty calm... we had a friend get us a new bolt and he took it back to the place that worked on it and they didn't care at all... so yeah shiz happens and nobody cares unless you get hurt and bring lawyers into it... I also do most if not all my work cause I do it right or I answer to myself...

good luck friendlyfocus trying to get things worked out... let us know what happens...

08 Versys 32+k and counting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:49 AM

I would put the complaint in writing to the dealer and put a copy to 'Joe Blow' attorney at law-I put a neighbor's name down. I did this when a body shop wouldn't fix my daughters Jeep correctly. Worked wonders, don't even have an attorney, but they don't know that.

I would also threaten Better Business Bureau report.

This complaint is so serious, it could be a killer, these crap dealers have to be taught a lesson. There are good mechanics & dealers out there and they deserve the business.

These same crap dealers complain that 'we' buy from the web, because in some cases they don't deserve our patronige and 'we' would be safer without them.

Machog
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 07:07 PM

Who did the 600 mile service? All major fastners should have been torqued at that time. Also, as noted by the dealer, a drop of thread locker (blue/medium) on the threads keeps everything nice and tight. Also, use a torque wrench to ensure the bolts are tightened to the proper specification.

I check the important bolts (brake, triple clamp, footpegs, handlebars, suspension and axle) about once per month or so.

Motorcycle equipment failures can be catastrophic. Take responsibility for your own ride. It's your butt in the seat!

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:04 PM

Any pics?

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 01:00 PM

Bet you'll be doing a more thorough walkaround of your Bike now eh? There's a lot to be said about a 5 minute pre-ride inspection including wiggling and jiggling bolted on bits. Footpegs, signal lights, Brake and shifter levers, clutch and Brake adjustment, Mirors, side panels, Tire pressures and Brake callipers. If you missed the bolts comming loose, and you check your Bike over regularly, you can't blame the dealership to me. That's just "Passing the Buck", and not taking responsibility for not seeing it before it became an issue. It's not only the Versys that requires checking over before you ride, but, every Bike needs it. Vibrations on the Road with a Bike seem to affect fasteners differently than on a 4 wheel vehicle and things just loosen off! Take care of yourself by taking care of your Bike. I don't think we should be reading this kind of stuff as a dealer's fault.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 06:25 PM

I had replaced my back tires and torqued the bolts as instructed by shop manual. One week later I was making a turn was braking to the turn and suddenly felt a drop in pressure on the rear brake. Was able to SAFELY stop at the gas station at the corner and noticed that I lost on rear brake bot and a REALLY lose bolt. Locktight RED has become my new best friend!
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 09:26 PM

loose caliper bolts

I had exactly the same scenario happen and reported it about a month ago.
Mine happened at about 480 miles on the bike and it was the left side caliper affected. The upper bolt was on its way out, and the bottom bolt was missing.
Now, someone stated that this is an item that should be checked before each and every ride, and in a sense he is right, but that is in the same sense that says you should brush-and-floss after each and every meal. In the real world it does not happen. If my bolts backed out at 480 miles, and there actually was a qualified "dealer prep" done on the bike, then there is a problem. You could easily ride that far in less than a full day of riding and it is not feasible to expect to have to check every fricking nut and bolt on the whole bike after every other tank of gas.
The fact that this is a regulary recurring issue on the same bike, from the same manufacturer is indicative that there is a problem.
1)Either the factory specs for the torque values are not correct on these bolts, or
2) There needs to be a standard procedure of some type of thread lock compound applied during "dealer prep", or
3) There are aliens attempting to take over the planet by killing off all humans on a one-by-one basis, and they are starting with new Versys owners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode