Adding water - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Adding water

What is the easiest way to add water or coolant to your V? I was thinking using a turkey baster or something like that and putting it into the side tank under the fairing. I do not want to strip my bike down just add some water to the radiator! Just want to top it off for summer riding, my overflow tank is just about an 1/8 full.

Any ideas? How do you all do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 04:43 PM

Garage
On a 1st gen it is 6 scews t remove the side fairing, my guess is that's it similar on the 2nd. That is way easier than trying to rig up some way to get fluid in the overflow. Plus you still need to be able to see the markings for how full it is.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 04:44 PM

Garage
on my 08, I just pull the fairing off. 6 screws and full access.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
On a Mk2 it is 2x hex/allen bolts (side and top) and 1x philips head screw (side under the seat).
Then remove the faring and side plate together. They just pop out off the tank and frame grommets, and then slide forward to release it at the headlight.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm, I guess you all missed the point, did not want to tear the bike apart to add some water. I will find a way and let you all know how it worked out.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 10:59 PM

Garage
You will spend more effort finding a way than removing 6 screws will take.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
If you must do it without taking the faring off... I hope the cap is not done up too tight.

I have done it with clear PVC hose and a small funnel.
connect hose to funnel, open the cap and poke the hose in bottle and pour in the amount of coolant you need.

just make sure you account for the extra coolant in the hose when reaching the Max level. Other wise use a large syringe to suck some out.

Oh... and use distilled water to mix coolant. Not tap or tank water, and not demineralised water either - use distilled water only.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 12:28 AM

1/8 full when cold is fine. Mine is even lower... Removing your right cowling is not tearing the bike apart. It is simple maintenance.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Coolant level is determined by the overflow tank, not the rad. If the rad level were too low there would be no liquid in the overflow tank, and the engine coolant could boil. If your V is not overheating just top up the overflow with 50/50 anti-freeze and distilled water (pre-mixed solution can be bought) to a level above, or at the lower mark. If it were really low, check level again after a ride.

No big deal to remove the plastic for tank access, try it and relieve your anxiety about a bit of easy maintenance! Too many times we talk ourselves out of exploring things that are, in fact, not rocket science. Gives a person confidence and pride to do their own maintenance. Download the shop manual found on this site, work methodically, buy good quality tools for the job and dig in!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
on my 08, I just pull the fairing off. 6 screws and full access. but i also have to do that to check it due to being i guess sun baked?

you could relocate your tank or you could add a "T" fitting to the line that goes to it from the radiator ... put it on with a small line with a valve on it (to keep it a closed system) on the end of that small bit of hose have a soda bottle cap attached then when you wanna add to it fill a soda bottle with water or coolant put it on the cap, turn upside down open the valve and squeeze and there ya go

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 09:19 PM

Pulling or removing the side fairing would be safest, but not the easiest way.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaofan View Post
Hmmm, I guess you all missed the point, did not want to tear the bike apart to add some water. I will find a way and let you all know how it worked out.
I think what we're all getting at is simply that removing the side fairing is required for basically everything one might want to do/fix on their Versys. It's a really good idea to get used to taking off your fairings. At this point I could do it blindfolded. Added bonus: If your neighbors walk by while you have the fairing off they'll think you're WAY more technically inclined than you may be...

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kive-rider View Post
Pulling or removing the side fairing would be safest, but not the easiest way.
I think it might actually be the easiest way too.. haha

I can pull this fairing off in under a minute. Trying to get the cap off, rigging up tubing/funnel, trying to figure out how much fluid is in there, and then getting the cap back on will take longer and will be way harder.

I learned a while back that the correct way and the easy way are often the same thing.

With all that said, please post your alternative method; and honestly its weird that you have to remove the fairing to check/add coolant.. stupid design.

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Ok ok ok, I will take the damn fairing off! haha

Just eyeballing it for a few seconds before riding I only saw two visible screws so I guess the rest are a pain to get to. Oh well, it will be fine.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 05:03 PM

Garage
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 01:03 PM

Hahahaha!!! You're asking how you can be lazy about working on your bike???? Just sell it now.... it's 6 screws. "*6*" count 'em. 6! Maybe you have a coolant leak. Check your engine case on the bottom.
Oh geeezzzz. I can't get over this forum post. Use a pump from Harbor Frieght, good luck getting the cap off with the fairing on. Turkey baster, gotta be kidding me.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post
I think what we're all getting at is simply that removing the side fairing is required for basically everything one might want to do/fix on their Versys. It's a really good idea to get used to taking off your fairings. At this point I could do it blindfolded. Added bonus: If your neighbors walk by while you have the fairing off they'll think you're WAY more technically inclined than you may be...
Why, so they can start asking you to fix everything they break for them?

Last edited by kawdog; 06-27-2015 at 12:24 AM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Haha, calm down guys, I love my bike and work on it all of the time. I recently took off the back wheel, changed tire, and replaced, that is much more than six screws! I also have done all of my oil changes myself, very easy. I am just saying it is a design flaw anytime you need to take body parts off a car or bike to add coolant, engine oil, or brake fluid.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaofan View Post
I am just saying it is a design flaw anytime you need to take body parts off a car or bike to add coolant, engine oil, or brake fluid.
Well, sort of, but that's design today. Would you rather have the overflow tank and the rad cap exposed in plain sight? Might be a tad ugly, don't you think? Not to mention the lumpy aerodynamics of parts hanging out there in the wind stream. Like a Model T Ford maybe?

I'm not sure that calling the V's component covers (fairings) a "design flaw" is accurate. A complication to maintenance, certainly, but that is the result of our modern age development of motorcycles.

Yes, my old bikes way back in the 60's were easier to access and simpler in many ways, but that was a damn good thing because I constantly had to adjust, repair and replace parts.

I'm happy with modern motorcycles, and accept 'design flaw' mechanical complication as the price I have to pay for one hell of a lot less maintenance.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
funny your complaining about removing the fairing on a second gen.. try removing one on a first gen....without removing the windshield xD tho i do think some quarter turns would have been a LOT nicer but would also drive up price......so maybe a access flap like my datsun had back in the day.... also be glad it isnt like the dodge intrepid..... ah the dodge intrepid were every thing is an after thought... need to change the battery? got to jack it up remove the passenger tire ,remove the wheel well shrouding thing then pull it out of a tiny hole....WTF

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

Last edited by silviefox; 06-27-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode