Strange noise(long story) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Strange noise(long story)

I will try and give as much detail as I can. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I bought a versys back in April and everything was fine. The clutch lever was quite stiff though. I needed a new rear tire so I bought and had a dealer put the tire on as where I don't have enough experience yet to do it myself. I also had them tighten my chain. Now after this was done there was a grinding like sound coming from what I thought was the front of the bike. I had started to notice the noise right away between 2500-3500 rpms, and the gear/speed did not matter. I had my friend/previous owner ride it and he figured out it was the chain. Now I didn't bother with it until a few weeks later when I could notice the noise at a higher rpm(now it's 2500-5000 rpms) I decided to take the bike to the kawasaki dealer this time. I figured I would get them to check the chain and replace it if need be. They tell me it wasn't the chain making the noise, and it's possibly the clutch. So where the clutch lever was hard to pull, they started by replacing that and it didn't help. They checked over the entire clutch and everything is fine and nothing is worn out. They tell me the next step would be to go over the transmission. Now if anybody knows, do I have a bad tranny, or could it be something else?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the long story but I wanted to give as much detail as possible.

Edit: 2008 with 32000kms on it. Noise only happens when I accelerate or maintain speed. Letting off the throttle makes the noise stop.

Extra Edit: After Kawasaki charged me $143 and did nothing to help the noise, I took the bike to another dealer, and had them replace the chain and sprokets. The noise is all gone! Thank you everyone who helped out!

Last edited by scm305; 07-02-2015 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Year and mileage? How's its maintenance history? It'd be nice to hear it.

Last edited by invader; 06-17-2015 at 08:11 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i would check the clutch basket. my drz had a scared up clutch basket and it would snag a bit when pulling it in, it would snap cables and some times wouldnt fully disengage .... filed it down and got everything smooth and had the most butter clutch ever

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Edited with the year and mileage.
The maintenance has always been kept up to date.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 11:27 AM

Chain/sprockets worn out? Chain too tightly adjusted with stretched areas will be very noisy.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 11:43 AM

Does it only happen while moving, or can you get the noise while it is in neutral just revving it? Symptomatically it sounds similar to the fairing buzz issue, and the noises mine makes could be called a "grinding" noise.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

It happens while moving. It doesn't do it while in neutral. It seems to be a consistent sound but louder at some points. As if it got louder when a certain part of the chain goes around the sprocket.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 02:43 PM

In that case, I would look at the chain with a suspicious eye as well. I'm about to replace mine too... suddenly a drive shaft bike seems pretty appealing.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Check your chain tension. Also, remove your front sprocket cover and inspect your front sprocket for wear. See if it's a 15 tooth OEM sprocket with rubber dampers on its sides, or not. You're probably just due for a new chain and sprockets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode