Replace sprockets too? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Replace sprockets too?

Called my stealership on the phone and told them I had 20K miles on my V and needed to replace the chain......They told me I NEEDED to replace the sprockets as well or I was going to have problems. The sprocket teeth don't look worn to me.
Can he be right? Sounds fishy to me.

Also, do our chains have 114 or 120 links??????

My Titan & Versys Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Rubicon Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Super Duty Website:

20,000+ Versys miles and loving every one!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 01:11 PM

I don't think you'll have problems ( I did not have any problems with mine)The chain might ware a little faster but if the sprockets look good I would'nt ......The chain has 114 links but the chain you buy will likely have 120 so you'll need to cut it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 01:20 PM

general rule is to replace chain and sprockets together to maximize longevity. it's not a tragedy if you do otherwise. hard to imagine sprockets not being worn after 20k, though.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 01:47 PM

I hit the 20 000 + mark and bought both sprockets and chain to replace. When i got to disassembling everything i did not change the front sprocket. It looked fine, no wear.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:03 PM

Pictures might help the experts here give their advice. Sounds like a personal call though, with variables such as lube and chain adjustments making a difference in wear.

My Album:
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:08 PM

I have not relpaced my chain yet on the Versys but what I did on my hyosung was to replace the sprockets on every second chain I did. I don't do fast pull aways or ride my bikes hard so my sprockets looked in good shape, untill one day I compared the thickness of the sprocket and saw the chain actually wears away the sides even though the wheel was always aligned properly.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

My more sinister side wants to agree with him, to give me the excuse for a neat looking aftermarket rear sprocket and the 16T fron sprocket, but the teeth on each are hardly worn at all. No reall distortion. Their still wide with plenty of surface area bite...

My Rubicon Website:

My Super Duty Website:

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieFlo View Post
but the teeth on each are hardly worn at all. No reall distortion. Their still wide with plenty of surface area bite...
Well, so what's the worse that can happen if you don't replace them? Your new chain wont last 20K, or if you keep an eye on the sprockets, you'll be able to catch when they start to wear and replace them before they inflict too much damage on the chain and there wont be a big difference in overall chain life. But, if you forget to check, worn sprockets will eat up your chain rather quickly. It really depends on how good you are on keeping an eye on wear items.

What did he quote you for the sprockets and is it significant enough to be worth getting less life out of the chain over it?

Gustavo

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Well,
I'm doing it. Got paranoid, so I ordered EK 520MVXZ Red Chain, 16T Superlite Ft/ 46T Rr sprockets to go with it from SprocketCenter.com for $175, the the chain break & rivet tool kit for $109, and a rivet link for $9, since the stealership wants $150 for the one-time deal.......

My Rubicon Website:

My Super Duty Website:

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 03:57 PM

Chain break tool

Don't know if this is what you want but you can pick up a Chinese copy of most common motorcycle chain tools at Harbor Freight for something like 9 dollars. I got one a while back but haven't used it yet. Not the best quality but for something your not going to use very often it will work fine. It just has to be able to be turned with a wrench and not break while you do it.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=66488

Maybe you can canel your chain tool and save $100? Just thought I'd pass it along.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 04:05 PM
naz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrappieKiller View Post
I hit the 20 000 + mark and bought both sprockets and chain to replace. When i got to disassembling everything i did not change the front sprocket. It looked fine, no wear.
Some people do that when it comes to remove the front sprocket,its damn tight heh? j/k
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone tried doing the 16T F with a 44 or 45 in the rear?
I want to keep my gas mileage, but would like some extra pop in the throttle. Don't want to lose that torque! SprocketCenter will cut your chain for the right length of your bike and sprocket setup, so need to know ASAP. THANKS GUYS! You have been a big help!

My Rubicon Website:

My Super Duty Website:

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz View Post
Some people do that when it comes to remove the front sprocket,its damn tight heh? j/k
The nut was dam tight - i took the front sprocket off just to say i could after i saw there was no wear.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 06:39 PM

"Called my stealership"

I called my...Stealership??? OMG dude I have never heard that one before...freakin' HILARIOUS!

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode