Motorcycle not going straight! NEED SOME HELP - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Motorcycle not going straight! NEED SOME HELP

Hi everyone, i am a new member here and a new versys owner, i bought a versys 650 - 2007, i like the bike a lot to be honest, its really cool, but since i bought a have a big problem that i cant solve my self, i have a problem with my bar, my bar its not straight, my left hand get very very tired during the runs, but only my left, the right hand is ok,,, and my left leg gets some tired,, i should say that the person that had before had put a new seat,, more lower than original,,, when i run the bike i see that the bar is not straight cause my left hand stays longer! now i dont know how to fix it,,, dont know where the problem is,,, is the front tyre,, the bar,,, or the seat ,, and i dont know how to fix my bar if it straight or not,,, please can anyone help , i will really appreciate a help and respect you all!

+ yesterday i made a test,,, i was driving with 50-60 khm,,, and left the bar without keeping it with hands,,, and the motorcycle wasnt going straight, it was turning to the left,, or moving to the left side,,,, i got really worried,,, cause it should go straight! what do you think guys,, cause this is driving me crazy ! :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 05:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
GrandMaster of what?!

Check your rear wheel alignment. It may be considerately off even if its matched up to the reference marks on both sides. I used a straight edge on rear sprocket, along the bottom of outer chain links towards front sprocket's outer surface. Mine was off by a lot, with the same ill effects... You can also loosen your lower fork clamps, then push on the handlebar with front of wheel leaned up against a tree, post or wall to release any twisting tension and allow it to recenter itself both ways, then retighten clamps. This can usually be done without loosening anything after a spill, but not as well.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 05:17 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
GrandMaster of what?!

Check your rear wheel alignment. It may be considerately off even if its matched up to the reference marks on both sides. I used a straight edge on rear sprocket, along the bottom of outer chain links towards front sprocket's outer surface. Mine was off by a lot, with the same ill effects... You can also loosen your lower fork clamps, then push on the handlebar with front of wheel leaned up against a tree, post or wall to release any twisting tension and allow it to recenter itself both ways, then retighten clamps. This can usually be done without loosening anything after a spill, but not as well.

+1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
as invader said check you rear wheel is aligned straight - the chain alignment marks are not always perfect from one side of bike to other.

Here is another tests for wheel alignment:
Does the bike tip into corner easier on Left or Right turns?
or
Which side do you require more pressure to hold the bar in a corner?

Sounds like left hand turns are fighting back as you need to push the bar harder to counter steer and you left arm is getting tired.

But you are also saying that the Bar might be bent as your left arm is straighter or further forward than the right.
You need to take the bar off the bike, and lay it on flat level ground and see if there is difference in bends or height between left side and right side. middle of bar should be flat on ground.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlowWell (0 posts)
Invader of what
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 12:51 AM
BKP

Garage
+1 to what's been suggested. Make sure your forks are aligned, and get a cheap tool to make sure your tire is parallel to your chain, like the MotionPro:

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0048-Chain-Alignment/dp/B000GTVOJQ

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Get A Motion Pro Chain Alignment Tool... Riders Discount had a good deal on them when i got mine.....

IMG_1728 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Oh yeah every time.

Don't depend on the marks on the swingarm to get things lined up right. I have a Motion Pro gauge I use now but I have used cord before . Pull the tow frame covers off the left and right side that cover the swingarm bolt and measure from the center of the bolt the the center of the rear axle.

Here's the tool I have it makes things faster and easier. I think I gave about $20.00 for it. It clamps to the rear sprocket and you simply sight down the chain and adjust until there are parallel.

Click to see Fast Eddie's amazing photo:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Here's how:
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
+1 to what's been suggested. Make sure your forks are aligned, and get a cheap tool to make sure your tire is parallel to your chain, like the MotionPro:

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-.../dp/B000GTVOJQ

$13.49 on EBay.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
It is important to just touch the front of the rear wheel with the sting and be careful not to bend it around the rear wheel. Doing so extends the angle of the rear wheel out several feet so any minor misalignment by a fraction of a degree is easy to see and correct. Using perfectly strait 5-6' sticks or rods laid horizontally along the sides of the rear tire just below the rear hub, does the exact same thing. I have the Motion Pro chain alignment tool, but this method is still much more accurate as the added extension, 5' vs the 12" rod of the chain alignment tool, makes miss alignment of the rear much easier to see.

Fork Alignment: Also ensure there is absolutely no play in the steering head bearings. These eventually wear out and need replacement on high mileage bikes regardless of brand or model of motorcycle. If they are worn out chances are the swing arm bearings and wheel bearings also need replacement as well. There should be ABSOLUTELY NO play in any of the bearings. With the bike elevated and not supported by the rear swing arm, there should be NO lateral movement of the rear swing arm under force. Crash damage to a bike can also muck up the rear swing arm bearings, fork alignment, etc. and may go unnoticed and not repaired during repair of crash damage.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-07-2015 at 12:31 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

thanks everyone for the help... you are really a great forum,, thnx a lot to everyone that replied to this post respect all the riders here
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 11:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
GrandMaster of what?!

Flash, of course !

LOP
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Flash, of course !

LOP
The rap artist? Never heard of him before.

http://grandmasterflash.com/html.html
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 05:09 AM

I advice you to have your front fork checked by a professional mechanic as well. The bar could be off due to a collision (bent fork) or due to the fact that someone have dropped the bike. In latter case you have to reset the front fork tubes...

Anders B.
Sweden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
"need help"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in