LED Running Light Recommendations - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
LED Running Light Recommendations

Can anyone recommend a pair of good-quality LED running lights?

This is for day and night visibility to other vehicles, not to enhance my ability to see. So, I don't want anything too crazy that will blind other drivers. I'll be mounting them in the same place as the 2015 650 light bar.

Thanks!

Mike
2015 Versys 650 LT (white)
Arlington, VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have had my eye on these, $94 bucks with free shipping-
that price is for the PAIR.

I wanted larger lights this time around, and these will be my next choice. Pretty much every conversation about aux. driving lights on other popular forums starts and ends with "how bright they are". After having two sets of the popular ones, I don't want the ones that are the brightest, I want the ones that I can run day or night, not blind people, and not need a "dimmer".

These come from a source in California, and the ebayer has 100% feedback. He also sells them one at a time, or in pairs. Also, you don't need to upgrade the brackets from what he said when I talked to him. Certainly an imported product like most of them. Many of the others being sold were intended as water feature/fountain lights for commercial application as decorative lights, and not really meant to bounce around on a bike.

I get irritated when a person's driving lights, be it a car or bike (Harley), are so intense you cant see their turn signals-- which if you are on a bike, and someone facing you cant see your blinker cause you are blinding them, well-- your now worse off than if you did not have any driving lights....

Sheete, I kind of went on and on there... the curse of age I guess.

Lots of options out there, let us know what you pick. Many of us former KLR owners... so their is a built in draw to peruse the shelves of Wally Mart and local car parts stores.... I have not seen any I cared for from that respect, and I don't like the square ones.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention our brother and fellow V rider on this forum, "The Toad" represents a fine line of LED + other fine bike products as well.

His link, Toad's a good fellow and has done some neat mods to his V.

http://http://www.mondomotos.com

THE ONES ON EBAY:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181582772964...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by unstable_rider; 06-06-2015 at 08:54 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I too just want my LEDs to serve as a "look at me" notice. I bought these for about $20 (apiece...?) from someone in England. Their site:
http://www.bikevis.com
and I wired them in w/ the DRLs so they are ON whenever the 'key' is ON.

The whole intent was NOT to be 'driving lights', just LOOK AT ME lights.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
I have had my eye on these, $94 bucks with free shipping-
that price is for the PAIR.
Those look pretty nice. I was thinking a flood pattern may be better for visibility. With a 10 degree spot and 1650 lumens, are these getting to the point that they'll annoy other drivers?

I also saw the same reseller has a 3" square version with a flood pattern. I'd consider those as well.

I do like round better, though.

Mike
2015 Versys 650 LT (white)
Arlington, VA
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Other than comparing lumens and output, etc. to other lights I have used, the numbers don't really register with me. Check in with the ebay guy, he sells lots of lights, he might have another option or be able to comment, he was decent to converse with when I was messaging back and forth.

Some other options, these are $70 bucks each

http://stores.advmonster.com/model-4...ceted_search=0

And Ed, your garage is TOO CLEAN
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 09:27 AM

I've been looking at Skene Photon Blasters or front end visibility. I just added Skene P3 tail/brake auxiliaries and like them a lot.

http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/PB_Features.shtml?

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 06:01 PM

I am running multiple led on my motorcycle

The lower ones on the fork tubes are PIAA led 1100 led not super bright but people see me very well the are a good flood light.

I bought these used on this site.

The ones at the bottom of the upper fairings are a combination of part
Light switch and wiring harness are from a set of Denali Leds single intensity.
I believe I paid $60 for the harness and switch.
The wiring harness is using DEUTSCH DT 2 PIN Connectors

The led are rigid spot lights model Rigid Industries 20221 Dually Spotlight

They come with a wiring harness but it is designed for a large truck or off road vehicle. The bonus is they plug right into the denali wiring harness as they also used the DEUTSCH connectors as well. and these can be had for $155 on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Industries-20221-Dually-Spotlight/dp/B006H33ZU6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433804143&sr=8-1&keywords=rigid+led+spot
I do not run these around town only on back roads at night. As they ae extremely bright.

Here is what I did for mounting the switches.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Deer must fear you Motojunkee....

Sort of a rolling "sun" out there.. Sweet
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
...And Ed, your garage is TOO CLEAN
You should've seen it TWO days ago.... I changed the chain and front sprocket, and the floor was grease from one end to t'other! Ended up on my knees w/ a rag w/ Varsol to get it a BIT cleaner!

My hands? They took about a day to clean-up....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:51 PM

I recently ordered the Mondomotos MM 10 Aux lights with the non-switched wiring harness. Installed over the weekend with a new Fuse block from Eastern Beaver to organize my wires. got the fuse block working but not the lights. Will look at it again tonight, but need to get the V back together to get some breeze on my knees. And Weljoe if you are reading this, I did get the air box off, changed the plugs, and now understand what everyone was talking about re the stick coils. Mine were not too hard to get off, and in good shape.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode