2013 versys 650 coolant leak - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2013 versys 650 coolant leak

So my versys sprung a leak. Only has 2400 miles. Any one else seen a leak pop up in this area before?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150526_202419_1432697397502.jpg (30.4 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg 20150526_202456_1432697423289.jpg (31.4 KB, 301 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 01:34 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
A few others have also had a coolant leak at the water pump seal... Scroll down for photos and more info:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=17509
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
It was a bit of work chasing that leak down, but it has NOT recurred...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Sooo, water pump needs to be rebuilt, under warranty thankfully. At least I get a free coolant/ oil change.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 10:37 PM
hcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVersysTheWorld View Post
So my versys sprung a leak. Only has 2400 miles. Any one else seen a leak pop up in this area before?
I'll do you one better. I just tore mine down to put the ThermoBob in and found a similar, if not identical, leak to yours. Mine is a 2013, too. However, I just bought mine NEW from the dealership about 2 weeks ago (yes, 2 years old on the showroom floor) and has, wait for it, less than 200 miles (16 when I bought it and I put those on it last year on a test ride). Nice.

I came here tonight to find out what the problem might be but pretty sure it's the seal from the impeller and pump body to the engine drive shaft. And I guess that's what it is. NUTS! Was really looking forward to installing my ThermoBob so I could continue the break-in period....2 weeks and less than 200 miles...sad sad sad.

For those not familiar with water pumps in general; there is a shaft from a drive force (accessory belt, usually on cars/trucks/etc., or a direct shaft, obviously on the Versys and any non-belted engine) to the water/coolant pump which is just an impeller in a sealed container connected to the coolant system. Obviously the liquid needs to stay in the pump body yet the shaft must pass from the outside of the body to the inside. Coolant must not pass from the inside to the outside so there is a seal. There is commonly a void outside the pump body seal, between the seal and the drive force (a snout on the GM 350 water pump, for example, which sticks the belt pulley out to the belt plane, or, in the case of the Versys, apparently a void between the pump body and the engine block). Furthermore, there is commonly a weep hole placed so that coolant which leaks past the seal has a convenient place to discharge where it can be viewed, either to release the fluid or to simply allow easier troubleshooting, but probably both. In my third picture you can see the weep hole which appears to be the source of the fluid. I'll have to go back and highlight the image to make it clearer, though. Jeez...2 hours messing around with PhotoPaint and PhotoShop...last image is what I wanted. I normally do vector work, not raster. Arrrgghhh. I hope that image helps some folks.

With two failures in such short time (miles) I guess Kawasaki had a design flaw (or their supplier did).

FWIW. HTH. YMMV. EIEIO.

--HC

P1050875 (Medium).jpg

P1050876 (Medium).jpg

P1050877 (Medium).jpg

ModifiedWP.jpg

BMW, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Huffy...anything but a Harley.

Last edited by hcb; 06-08-2015 at 01:25 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Yes sir. Looks like the same issue. Warranty that bike. I really like my bike, however this is the second "common issue" I've had. First was a faulty oil pressure sensor which put my bike out of commission after my first 20 miles.
I also bought a left over 2013 in march but a guy I know has a 2014 that has the same issue with the pump seal.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcb View Post
I'll do you one better. I just tore mine down to put the ThermoBob in and found a similar, if not identical, leak to yours. Mine is a 2013, too. However, I just bought mine NEW from the dealership about 2 weeks ago (yes, 2 years old on the showroom floor) and has, wait for it, less than 200 miles (16 when I bought it and I put those on it last year on a test ride). Nice.

I came here tonight to find out what the problem might be but pretty sure it's the seal from the impeller and pump body to the engine drive shaft. And I guess that's what it is. NUTS! Was really looking forward to installing my ThermoBob so I could continue the break-in period....2 weeks and less than 200 miles...sad sad sad.

For those not familiar with water pumps in general; there is a shaft from a drive force (accessory belt, usually on cars/trucks/etc., or a direct shaft, obviously on the Versys and any non-belted engine) to the water/coolant pump which is just an impeller in a sealed container connected to the coolant system. Obviously the liquid needs to stay in the pump body yet the shaft must pass from the outside of the body to the inside. Coolant must not pass from the inside to the outside so there is a seal. There is commonly a void outside the pump body seal, between the seal and the drive force (a snout on the GM 350 water pump, for example, which sticks the belt pulley out to the belt plane, or, in the case of the Versys, apparently a void between the pump body and the engine block). Furthermore, there is commonly a weep hole placed so that coolant which leaks past the seal has a convenient place to discharge where it can be viewed, either to release the fluid or to simply allow easier troubleshooting, but probably both. In my third picture you can see the weep hole which appears to be the source of the fluid. I'll have to go back and highlight the image to make it clearer, though. Jeez...2 hours messing around with PhotoPaint and PhotoShop...last image is what I wanted. I normally do vector work, not raster. Arrrgghhh. I hope that image helps some folks.

With two failures in such short time (miles) I guess Kawasaki had a design flaw (or their supplier did).

FWIW. HTH. YMMV. EIEIO.

--HC

Attachment 65521

Attachment 65529

Attachment 65537

Attachment 65545
That is a problem on the BMW F650's too. It's starting to look like 2012 may be the optimum Vs. 650 year: although by not much.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 11:54 PM

The water pump seal is a common issue. I've owned 2 KLRs and my Versys and they have all weeped coolant from time to time. If it does not drip on the garage floor, I probably would not worry about it. My KLR weeped coolant for a period of time and later the problem resolved itself. If the bike sits for a long period of time, it seems to weep more fluid. Guess this is a Kawasaki issue.

BTW - I also had a problem with the oil pressure sensor when the bike was new with less than 40 miles in the bike

Jim

09 Kawasaki Versys - Green
07 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode