Anyone else go solar? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else go solar?

I must be running out of things to add to my V. I just added a cool little solar panel to my topcase to trickle charge the battery when she's parked outside (300mah out max). It has an anti-discharge diode in-line, but I wanted to be able to easily connect and disconnect it, so I just clipped off the included battery terminals and soldered on a battery tender type connection to use with my already installed battery tender line. I have both sticking out slightly from under the seat and can connect and disconnect as needed.I went with industrial strength velcro to attach it to the case. While this particular panel states it is 'weatherproof', I could, in theory, remove it for rain. I doubt I'll bother. It was cheap enough to experiment with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 01:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Very nice. But running out of things to add? You mean you have a flux capacitor installed?! Cool.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 07:27 AM

Frux Capacitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Very nice. But running out of things to add? You mean you have a flux capacitor installed?! Cool.
I would love to pick up a good used flux capacitor and head on back to 1969 and start over.
This device would also take care of the high battery discharge rate after the installation of the Compufire 55402 stator savior.
Do we ever stop farkling?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Neat. I think it's a reasonable idea + quest or experiment.

They make some backpacks (for nerds) that have a smaller solar panel than yours, and they imply it can trickle charge a phone, ipad, etc, certainly with the proper cord at the other end to the actual device.

As an experiment, it might be interesting to start out by isolating the output (to just one device instead of the overall bike) by hooking it to a pretty dead or discharged smart phone, and then head out on a ride, with just the phone connected to your panel, and see an hour later, and then an hour or so after that at what point the phone is charged.

It would at least be an example of it's capabilities for something most people could wrap their mind around, granted it's not totally scientific.

Again, I think it's a neat idea, and those panels are sometimes quite reasonably priced. It would be interesting to play with.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
What do you think lives in the topcase!?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Very cool..looks like it can almost be rolled up? Where did you get it?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beany View Post
Very cool..looks like it can almost be rolled up? Where did you get it?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QRHDIPY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's rigid though. No rolling up. Well- I suppose you could roll it up once...

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 01:23 PM

I put a solar panel on the top of my kayak to recharge the deep cycle battery that powers my trolling motor. It makes fishing easier when you have both hands and can move. Also I am very lazy and would rather have a beer in my hand than a paddle.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Iphone 2014 485.jpg (43.1 KB, 57 views)

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post
What do you think lives in the topcase!?
Ah, I should have realized.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
I put a solar panel on the top of my kayak to recharge the deep cycle battery that powers my trolling motor. It makes fishing easier when you have both hands and can move. Also I am very lazy and would rather have a beer in my hand than a paddle.

Well now you've piqued my interest- One can hookup a trolling motor to a kayak? What wizardry is this? Pics?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 10:13 AM

here are a few more pictures. In these photos you can see the motor mount and I put it on a pivot and ran bike brake cables and looped them to the foot rests inside the boat I then took the locks off the foot rests and when you press the foot pad it steers the motor. Then I took the handle off the top of the trolling motor with the speed controller and extended the wires to the front ad used an oven knob to control speed and forward and reverse. I chopped the wires and used a trailer connection to make a quick disconnect so I could take the motor right off. It all works pretty well. I tried to upload a video, but can't figure that part out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Iphone 2014 369.jpg (59.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Iphone 2014 374.jpg (41.7 KB, 49 views)

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 10:24 AM

https://www.facebook.com/ian.m.thoma...type=3&theater

See if you can view the video here

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
here are a few more pictures. In these photos you can see the motor mount and I put it on a pivot and ran bike brake cables and looped them to the foot rests inside the boat I then took the locks off the foot rests and when you press the foot pad it steers the motor. Then I took the handle off the top of the trolling motor with the speed controller and extended the wires to the front ad used an oven knob to control speed and forward and reverse. I chopped the wires and used a trailer connection to make a quick disconnect so I could take the motor right off. It all works pretty well. I tried to upload a video, but can't figure that part out.
This is badass! I'm gonna have to make this a summer project, i think.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 11:34 AM

Yeah its cool. My best friend is paralyzed and we did one for him too, and he had to make his with hand steering which worked out even better. It's just a lever on the side that you push or pull to turn left and right. I have switched mine over too because I like to hang my feet in the water when I fish. If you need any pointers let me know. It took us about 6-7 attempts (and an equal number of cases of beer) to get it right, but now it is awesome, and more sturdy.
I wanted to patten our idea, but the money to start it all and the inability to build a system to fit all or even most kayaks was impossible for our wallets and brains, but every time we take them out at least one person wants to buy one. With more money and time we could do it, but for now it's just a fun hobby.

Oh and if you do it, make sure you register it. we almost got huge fines for taking them out with no bow numbers or registrations. Marine patrol screamed at us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 133700_491440157540966_940136954_o.jpg (41.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 477277_491442360874079_119097253_o.jpg (70.9 KB, 47 views)

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys

Last edited by IanThomas; 05-28-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode