That's the end of that! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
That's the end of that!

Well.. I think I no longer have a problem with my fuel mileage...

Couldn't sleep last night, so was watching a movie when the sound of a car crashing it's way down my block caught my attention.. Looked out the window in time to see a car smash into the back of the truck that's parked beside my bike (couldn't see my bike at the time), then the car took off! Went across 4 lawns, then back on the street and was gone before I could get clothes on and get out there. Bike was thrown ~16 feet, has a bent frame near the rear wheel, and is likely a write-off. Sucks because I have a newer PR4 on the front, and a new this season (less than 300km I think) Battleax T30 on the rear. Brand new spark plugs from a couple weeks ago also. *sigh*
Maybe I'll splurge and get myself a 2015 V1k :P Depends on what Insurance will give me for the bike and the Givi Top box which had my helmet and the Sena20s in it.. replacing the helmet for sure, as things were mashed hard enough to dent my can of WD-40 White Lithium Chain lubricant I kept in there.

Took a lot of pictures, but they're too high res for attaching, and I don't want to convert them right now... Let me know if you want to see the carnage and I'll see about posting some of them. Adjustor will likely come out tomorrow to assess the damage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 09:44 AM
BKP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry about the bike... good opportunity for a new one (and always a good thing that you weren't sitting on it at the time -- I tried that... not recommended)...

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
Sorry about the bike... good opportunity for a new one (and always a good thing that you weren't sitting on it at the time -- I tried that... not recommended)...
Thanks BKP - I'm glad I wasn't on it also... the fact the collision threw the bike ~16ft means I would probably be one helluva hurting unit if I had been. :-\

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 10:49 AM

Sorry about your bike, but glad you weren't on it as it sounds like it would have been a nasty ride.

Hope the insurance is fair to you and the 2015s are nice from the one I've seen if I weren't so happy with my 2012 I'd be in line right now for one.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 11:42 AM

When a car ran over me, I found a low mileage, almost new (6 mos old from new) 2012 and I found a 2013 still new that I could afford while the insurance was spinning their wheels. Mine was a 19 year old girl with Mama's insurance, but YOUR idiot had the minimum insurance if any at all: it sounds like an early released convict holiday on wheels.

Your insurance will probably be footing the bill on uninsured motorists if you have it. I would not expect gifts from the heavens, since there will be 20 people trying to split any insurance he had. But who would insure an idiot like that?

Needless to say, Good Luck and please let us know what happens. Garages are good!
----------------------------------------------------------------
After your police report, start getting internet receipts for ALL safety items on bike. AND ANY thing we buy is for safety too: crash bars, dual horn, windshields, suspension, etc... It's up to 40% more on most insurance policies. You may need a lawyer to get if from them though. Mine offered me $1900 originally, and coughed up about $4700 after my lawyer reminded them of their obligations. Your policy should have it listed and they SHOULD remind you of what they are obligated to pay after the accident.

Last edited by kawdog; 05-24-2015 at 12:08 PM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Already got a call this morning from the company giving me the claim# and thee adjustor information. They'll hopefully call today or tomorrow. Looking at the local scene, there's some wikkid deals on a replacement Versys of either the same vintage, or even up to a 2013 with 1100km on it for less than half a 2015. Only problem is I was planning on upgrading to a 1k Versys... none of those on kijiji.. so I might have to bite the bigger bullet and get a 2015.

Though some of these are tempting. *sigh* Oh the choices!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 10:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beany View Post
then the car took off!
there's a special place in hell for POS hit & run drivers!

glad insurance is looking after you and ya, there's not much out there for used 1000's in Calgary

good luck
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
sucky i got my husbands car hit and ran in the hospital parking lot the other day so i know your pain (yours is worse tho)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 11:34 AM

Definitely post some pics ... "pics or it didn't happen." haha

sorry for your lose...

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Find out where they took the bike, likely a local Kawi dealer, and most will remove salvageable accessories for you for their standard rate labor charge.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 01:46 PM

Yikes that sucks bud. Hopefully the insurance is nice to you.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Update:
They haven't actually taken the bike anywhere.. the adjustor sent the inspector last week, and when I called this morning, everything was "done". Contacted the insurance guys, and they're sitting on it.. so I poked them a bit. We'll see where that leaves me.

I have a demo ride on a 2015 versys this weekend.. looking at replacement helmets right now as well.. I'll find a photo dumping ground for those interested.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Another update:
Insurance is offering 5050 for my troubles, minus my deductible. I'm still debating whether I should buy used and wait for the 2015 to come down in price, or jump on the 2015 upgrade... *sigh* so many choices!

Pics for those interested:
https://goo.gl/photos/Lj64czUiyMzLUgReA
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
REALLY glad you WEREN'T on it when the asshat hit it!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 06:12 PM

Ouch that not good
Not sure about insurance up north but here in california they have to pay market value. Find your own comps. Always look for the higher priced ones and use those I only give my adjuster 3 three highest priced ones.

Also make sure they cover your gear and accessories separate
as these are extra expense.

here are some of your photos to show damage OUCH

Last edited by Motojunkee; 06-02-2015 at 06:14 PM.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 09:41 PM

Garage
Wow, that thing is messed up!

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Must drop into right handers really quickly now!
Shorter wheelbase, easy to hang off the RHS now!

Glad you were nowhere near the bike when it happened.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
REALLY glad you WEREN'T on it when the asshat hit it!
A-yup.. wish I had caught the license plate or something though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunkee View Post
Ouch that not good
Not sure about insurance up north but here in california they have to pay market value. Find your own comps. Always look for the higher priced ones and use those I only give my adjuster 3 three highest priced ones.

Also make sure they cover your gear and accessories separate
as these are extra expense.

here are some of your photos to show damage OUCH
I did a comparison, and they were actually quite fair market value for what was on the bike. Now I'm just going back and forth between a 2015 or find a used bike to potentially make use of some of the spare parts I picked up for my 1st gen! lol
Only gear that was covered by my policy was my helmet.. I'll be changing my coverage on the next bike to be sure. The only thing that didn't make it into the claim was the Sena20s, which seems to be okay. Having to look at a bunch of helmets before this weekend when I need it for my demo ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
Wow, that thing is messed up!
Yeah... I was pretty choked. They never found the driver either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
Must drop into right handers really quickly now!
Shorter wheelbase, easy to hang off the RHS now!

Glad you were nowhere near the bike when it happened.
Drops so fast I don't even have to be moving! (can't move... swingarm is bent right into the rear tire)
I was 25ft away when it happened in my bedroom..could've been much worse, I agree...
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 12:46 PM

Garage
most of those scratches will just buff out. BTW, why do you ride with the mirror facing forward?

jk

Glad you weren't on the bike. Good luck getting a new ride; test rides and shopping around is a real tedious job, but someone's got to do it.

I HEARD YOU'RE IDEA'S AND THEIR DEFINATELY GOOD.
xkcd.com / 1238
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 04:15 PM

Jeeeeeezzzzzzz, thanks for posting pics.. That swing arm, WOW!

Good thing you were awake when it happened or your bike would have just laid in the middle of the road, potentially causing more accidents.

* Though with that said, the pictures appear to be taken in Day Light, and it's still in the middle of the road. Did you not move it?

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode