Versys lifetime oil filter - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys lifetime oil filter

I would like to start by saying hello. It is wonderful owning such a versatile motorcycle and sharing my ideas with others. This is my first post (well second, I bought a hugger from 08 Versys ) and I really like all the great information here.

I have always used a stainless mesh oil filter for all my bikes and even cars and they are sweet. The inner filter element is removable and after a quick soak and dry it's just like new. It saves me from buying alot of filters or just having to go to the shop to pick one up. They are available in three finned finishes for nice looks but the chrome also really radiates the hot oil so it's like an oil cooler as well. Actually there all better than the paper cans.

The cross reference can be found on the original distributors web site K&P engineering but no Versys just 650r. I just ordered one so I will let you know how it fits. Scotts also redistributes these as well under their name but only in the anodized finish. Scotts are also $109 versus $144 at K&P. solo moto parts has them plus free shipping.

Let me know, thanks.

-Jesse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 07:49 AM

I have always wondered if those things really worked well. From what I have read, it sounded like a good idea.

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

States I've ridden in so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 01:35 PM

Okay, I'm sold. Another plus is keeping old filters out of the landfill. Please let us know how it fits. I know the oil filter part number is the same as the Ninja 650.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 01:36 PM

To true about the landfill issue and money saved is my I can spend on my bike

Working to make it my Streetfighter
V
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 01:59 PM

To be 100% honest, the money savings seems like a Red Herring to me. It's like spending $25,000 on a hybrid to save $100/month on gas.

I'm more interested in better filtration, less flow resistance and less waste.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 03:21 PM

For the cost of a factory filter and two quarts of oil no thanks I'll stick with the factory filter.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

+1 on the environmental impact that a discarded oil filter has. I'm not really sure how long it takes a paper filter to degrade buy it's probably a long, long time.

Quote:
For the cost of a factory filter and two quarts of oil no thanks I'll stick with the factory filter.
Oil prices aside, the filter costs about $12 a pop plus the time spent getting that filer (I buy my oil in bulk so it's already in the garage) the break even point on the filter is about 9 filter changes minus the cool factor which is priceless. The temp differences on a paper element v.s. a mesh is about 30*F depending on ambient which means 1. it is flowing better and 2. it is dissipating more heat.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobe View Post
+1 on the environmental impact that a discarded oil filter has. I'm not really sure how long it takes a paper filter to degrade buy it's probably a long, long time.

Oil prices aside, the filter costs about $12 a pop plus the time spent getting that filer (I buy my oil in bulk so it's already in the garage) the break even point on the filter is about 9 filter changes minus the cool factor which is priceless. The temp differences on a paper element v.s. a mesh is about 30*F depending on ambient which means 1. it is flowing better and 2. it is dissipating more heat.

The filter I use is less than $3.00. Sorry, no oil filter is cool enough to spend $100.00 on. I like my disposable filters.

To me, this is exactly why these types of products won't fly with the average person. The cost is WAY to high. There is no way that filter costs anywhere near $100 to make. I'm not against making a profit, but that's ridiculous.

And as far as the environment goes, if they were pushing their product as environmentally friendly, and were sincere about, they would definitely make it cheaper. If it were even close to the cost of the disposable filters, it would fly off shelves.

And another thing, where do the chemicals that you use to wash this filter go? Do you just flush them down the sink, used oil from the filter & all? That's good for the environment, for sure.

This is another thing that leaves a sour taste in my mouth; "its good for the environment, so you should pay more for it... a lot more..." *insert evil laugh here*; *and in the classic damsel in distress voice*, "its for the children... think of the children..."; *and the over dramatic news reporter*, "oh the humanity!!" (or is it "Oh the huge manatee!!")

I don't mean to rain on your parade, guy, but this sounds like more fluff to push a WAY over priced product to me. I'll pass...

Oh, and welcome to the forum!!

Last edited by Bear on a bicycle; 07-19-2008 at 11:01 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
This is another thing that leaves a sour taste in my mouth; "its good for the environment, so you should pay more for it... a lot more..." *insert evil laugh here*; *and in the classic damsel in distress voice*, "its for the children... think of the children..."; *and the over dramatic news reporter*, "oh the humanity!!" (or is it "Oh the huge manatee!!")
Thanks. I'm gonna go put on some dry pants now...

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

States I've ridden in so far

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 09:19 AM

Well, after a little more research (on Gixxer.com) I think I'm going to skip this. Apparently, there are a few minuses that go with the pluses. It appears that the amount of filter medium requires fairly frequent filter cleaning AND the comparison regarding the size of particles that normal filters trap is exaggerated.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Kel

What do you soak the filter in to clean it anyway?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 12:43 PM

I talked to Mother Earth the today. She likes getting the old oil filters. She makes little houses for her kitttens out of them. So we can throw the whole enviromental thing out the window. Does anyone have some Asbestos? Mother Earth likes to smoke it.

Ahh, Earth Day, the only day of the year where being able to hacky-sack will get you laid.
-Jon Stewart
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 01:31 PM

I've got a Scotts stainless lifetime for my dirtbike. Picked it up cheap on ebay. I hate that thing. It's a real pain in the ass to try and clean and adds a lot of time and hassle to an otherwise easy oil change. YMMV.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexytacoman View Post
I talked to Mother Earth the today. She likes getting the old oil filters. She makes little houses for her kitttens out of them. So we can throw the whole enviromental thing out the window. Does anyone have some Asbestos? Mother Earth likes to smoke it.

So you tell me, where do the chemicals go that you use to wash a reusable filter?

...and welcome to the site

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
So you tell me, where do the chemicals go that you use to wash a reusable filter?

...and welcome to the site

I was kinda thinking the same thing. I've been told by the guys who like these filters, that if you have two of them ($$$$$), you just put the dirty one to soak in some kind of solvent, diesel or kerosene etc. and it's ready by the time the next oil change comes aroun.

Yeah, right. I'll stick with the throw aways. Much cleaner and faster, and I'm not too sure the stainless steel ones really filter down any finer, I mean you can see right through the holes. I dunno about you guys, but I can't see through paper.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 12:00 AM

Well, there is an environmental impact from the disposal of old oil filters, but aren't there usually facilities available through the local dumps to properly take care f these things?

Another thing to take into consideration is the amount of environmental impact in the manufacture of stainless steel versus traditional paper filters. Stainless steel requires nickel in the manufacturing process, not to mention the other minerals refined to manufacture the metal. All the necessary ore is mined, refined, etc. etc. ad nauseum and requires a great deal of resources in the manufacture of the base metal. Then that metal has to be transported to another factory by trucks, ships, and trains, all of which use massive quantities of non-renewable fossil fuels in the process. Then the base metal has to be heated up and processed into the final product, resulting in the expenditure of even more resources to make the filter.

Compare that to a normal filter. The external casing, usually made of thin steel, can be manufactured pretty cheaply from base elements such as iron and carbon. The paper element is made of paper (duh ) manufactured from a remarkable renewable resource called a... tree . Then there's the other components: a rubber gasket, and a rubber check valve in more expensive filters. The rubber is usually made from either sap which comes from...trees or other sources like old tires.

I'm not saying buying the stainless steel filter has a decreased impact on the environment when it comes to waste; what I am saying is there's more than one way to look at how the environment is impacted by the use of either one.

That said, I still think the idea is pretty cool. I'm just too cheap to buy one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode