How Soon Can I Switch To Synthetic Motor Oil ? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How Soon Can I Switch To Synthetic Motor Oil ?

I didn't find much information on this subject. I don't want this to be a debate on dino vs. synthetic or brand. I changed my oil with Kawasaki 10w40 dino at 125 miles and 300 miles. Can I make the switch to synthetic at 600 miles or is that to soon ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 03:58 PM

You probably won't find much info from the manufacturers & everybody has their own ideas and opinions.

I've had quite a few new bikes, especially over the last several years and this is my routine for what it is worth.........

Dino oil change at 100 miles. Semi-synthetic at 1,000 miles then full synthetic at 3,000 and every 3,000 after that. Of course new filters everytime.

Never had a problem.

Dan
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
I didn't find much information on this subject. I don't want this to be a debate on dino vs. synthetic or brand. I changed my oil with Kawasaki 10w40 dino at 125 miles and 300 miles. Can I make the switch to synthetic at 600 miles or is that to soon ?

Except for cost I don't know why it would make any difference when you changed to fully synthetic, regardless of miles. I normally put Mobil 1 in my bikes at the first oil change. Thousands of miles with never an engine problem. Just my opinion.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by E327; 05-22-2015 at 04:23 PM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
You could run it from day 1. My Ducs both came with it from the factory. Nothing magic about it. It just maintains its viscosity a little longer.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 07:02 PM
BKP

Garage
I do a hard break break-in on my new bikes, and typically change the oil between 60 and 100 miles with dino -- only because it's cheaper, and it won't be there long. At 600, I do another change (I always change the filter with the oil), and switch to full synth (I happen to use Mobil 1).

This is what the manufacturer says about switching to synth right away:

Is it true that new engines need break-in periods using conventional motor oil?

That is a myth. In the past, engine break-in was necessary to remove metal flashing or any other abrasive material left inside the engine after machining, as well as to allow the valves and rings to "seat" properly. Today's engines are built with much tighter tolerances and much improved machining, and under much cleaner conditions compared to the engines of 10 or 20 years ago. Current engine manufacturing technology does not require a break-in period using petroleum-based motor oils.

(P.S. -- this is also why (I believe) the old method of babying a new engine no longer applies).

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 07:34 PM

You might want to take a close look at your oil filter element after the first oil change on a new bike if you believe new engines are clean inside.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 10:00 PM

I've been running Mobil1 since my first change... 20k miles now and no problems.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 10:56 PM
BKP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
You might want to take a close look at your oil filter element after the first oil change on a new bike if you believe new engines are clean inside.
Never said there'd be no particulates. However, tolerances are certainly tighter, and the used oil is 1000% cleaner (and clearer) than 1st changes 20 years ago. I always sift that first oil change through the equivalent of a large coffee filter on top of the oil pan to make sure there's nothing alien in the oil... Haven't really seen anything to scratch my head over... And, as I said... I *always* change the oil filter with the oil...

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

The only Mobil 1 Synthetic for motorcycles I can find around here is the Racing 4T 10W-40. Is that what you Mobil users put in your bikes ? I know it's another great debate on whether to use automotive vs. motorcycle grade oil, but the motorcycle grade is only $1.00 more per quart.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
The only Mobil 1 Synthetic for motorcycles I can find around here is the Racing 4T 10W-40. Is that what you Mobil users put in your bikes?
Yes... That's what I use.
$9.97 at Walmart.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
The only Mobil 1 Synthetic for motorcycles I can find around here is the Racing 4T 10W-40. Is that what you Mobil users put in your bikes ? I know it's another great debate on whether to use automotive vs. motorcycle grade oil, but the motorcycle grade is only $1.00 more per quart.

That's it. I get my yearly supply at Advance Auto when they put it on sale for $8.97/qt..
I can't talk myself into using car oil yet!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 12:51 PM

Mobil 1 5 qt jugs are on sale a Walmart now for about $2.50 qt with rebate from Mobil.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I'll switch to Mobil 1 Synthetic for motorcycles. Both Advance Auto and Walmart are within two miles of my house and always seem to have it in stock. I'll probably do my 600 mile oil change with dino and then switch to synthetic when I put the bike up for the Winter. I'll probably only have around 1500 mile on the bike by then. I normally put around 2,500 - 3,000 mile on a bike in a season, so the extra cost to do one oil change per year with synthetic is no big deal to me.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 01:34 PM

Switched to synthetic on the first service, 600 miles. 600mile and 7500 mile oil changes were done using Chevron Synthetic for cars, but Costco no longer sells it in Mexico, so the 15,000 and 22,500 were done with Motul 7100. My bike has never needed any oil in between oil changes, always used Bosch 3300 filters.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
I buy Mobil1 automobile 15w-50 from WalMart (around $26/ 5 qts), and that's what I've used for MANY miles (except when they're out of the 15w-50, and I then get 10w-40 M1 automobile oil).

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode