front brake adjustment knob? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2015, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
front brake adjustment knob?

On the front Nissin brake there is a small rubber-covered knob of some sort. The manual of course doesn't mention it (almost like they want you to pony up and buy the service manual!) and as I was feeling around for the source of some noise issues I rotated it. What does it do and is there a default/factory setting that I should return it to? Thanks much for helping a Kawi newbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2015, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
That is the rubber cap covering the brake bleed screw.
Rotating the rubber cap is fine
Old 05-22-2015, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I assumed there wouldn't be an easily accessible "Don't touch that!" adjustment without a warning in the manual

Old 05-27-2015, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandBike View Post
On the front Nissin brake there is a small rubber-covered knob of some sort. The manual of course doesn't mention it (almost like they want you to pony up and buy the service manual!) and as I was feeling around for the source of some noise issues I rotated it. What does it do and is there a default/factory setting that I should return it to? Thanks much for helping a Kawi newbie
IF you rotated your 'bleed-screw', be prepared for a brake-fluid leak IF you didn't get it re-tightened enough, and MAYBE a 'brake-bleed' to get rid of any bubbles....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Old 05-30-2015, 11:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandBike View Post
Thanks! I assumed there wouldn't be an easily accessible "Don't touch that!" adjustment without a warning in the manual
Don't want to be an *ss, but if you don't know wht that little black rubber thing was, maybe you should not fiddle with it, especially on the brake caliper, which btw, never have "ajustements"

Bring it to a mechanic and look at what he is doing to learn the chops

I have a complete theorical knowledge of the mechanical on my bike, but they are things I won't take over

My 2 cents

LOP
Old 06-01-2015, 11:52 AM

Ha ha, I love this.

As others already mentioned that is the brake caliper bleeder screw which is used to drain fluid and air out of the brake lines; all hydraulic braking systems have these.

Hopefully you just rotated the rubber cap, which likely did nothing.

Curiosity and fiddling is how I've learned pretty much everything in my life... However always do lots of research when fiddling with your motorcycle because there is not much room for error.

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
Old 06-01-2015, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Trust me, particularly when it comes to brake parts, there is nothing that I fiddle with. This was simply an object that inadvertently rotated while I was looking for the source of a noise in the front end, and I knew the forum would have an answer regarding it when the manual made no mention of it and I have not yet purchased a service manual.

1000 miles and loving the V. Great great bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in