Versys 2010 unusual (?) rear break problem - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys 2010 unusual (?) rear break problem

After 5 years of satisfied usage, last month my rear break was completely gone. I was not using the bike that often so it wasn't a very big issue. I was expecting that the pads were worn off and need to be replaced but today the service told me that it was the malfunctioning ABS that causes the problem and had to be changed. I had no problems with the front breaks, and ABS is working (for the front) perfectly well. Moreover, there is no warning light for the ABS. Does this make sense? The replacement cost is pretty high where I live (close to 1400 US$).
What do you suggest?

Best,
Efe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 08:23 AM

I would start by bleeding the rear brake. I have had several bikes where the rear brake would go away after setting for a while.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
I would start by bleeding the rear brake. I have had several bikes where the rear brake would go away after setting for a while.
I would like to believe that they checked it first at the service, but you never know.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 08:03 AM

Garage
BTW it's spelled brake, break is what you have done to your rear brakes
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

True!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 11:48 AM

At least the abs brakes did not do a retarded stop into a car and total your motorcycle: been there, done that.

Last edited by kawdog; 05-22-2015 at 11:56 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
At least the abs brakes did not do a retarded stop into a car and total your motorcycle: been there, done that.
This is my first bike and thus I have never used a bike without abs. I am not sure if it really helps for my style of riding (which is never aggressive). The only times I felt it working is at dry conditions and almost always made me pray not to hit the car in the front. It "felt" almost like not allowing me to stop. That is to say, if it did not exist, I felt I could do better taking into account possible skidding. Most probably I am mistaken but I know there are opposing views on how helpful abs is. I am also not sure if I would ever have the courage to buy a bike without abs.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 09:05 AM

just from you saying you had a time where you were praying you didn't hit the car in front of you because the abs was engaged, makes me not want to own a bike WITH abs.

I have had the same experience with my car during the winter. slightly slick before a stop sign, praying the car would stop before it went into the intersection. i was only doing about 15 mph, but the abs was doing its best to not let the car stop!

I call it the anti-braking-system, since it doesn't let you stop when you want to at times.

as for your bike, I find it hard to believe that it needs the abs unit if the light isn't coming on. download the service manual that's on this site and start troubleshooting the brakes.

Thunder Blue 2013 Versys
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 09:36 AM

Efe,

If you do not feel confident in bleeding the brakes, then at least get a second opinion from another workshop.

It sounds suss to me to say ABS is at fault if the front brakes are working OK, but the rear isn't. I've seen brakes stop working because the pads become stuck in the calipers or the system needs cleaning. Both fixes are a lot cheaper than a new ABS unit.

And don't get concerned about ABS. There are lots of myths about it. Tests in Australia indicate that something like 99% of riders can brake better with ABS than without. I'm not in that 1% of super magical riders.

When it activates (only when you've already locked up the brakes) it feels funny because it is rapidly releasing the brakes then re-applying them, keeping the brakes just short of locking up (hence maximum braking efficiency). Most riders are completely unable to maintain this situation.

Hope you get the bike fixed - cheaply.

BruceC
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc6805 View Post
If you do not feel confident in bleeding the brakes, then at least get a second opinion from another workshop.

It sounds suss to me to say ABS is at fault if the front brakes are working OK, but the rear isn't. I've seen brakes stop working because the pads become stuck in the calipers or the system needs cleaning. Both fixes are a lot cheaper than a new ABS unit.

And don't get concerned about ABS. There are lots of myths about it. Tests in Australia indicate that something like 99% of riders can brake better with ABS than without. I'm not in that 1% of super magical riders.

When it activates (only when you've already locked up the brakes) it feels funny because it is rapidly releasing the brakes then re-applying them, keeping the brakes just short of locking up (hence maximum braking efficiency). Most riders are completely unable to maintain this situation.
Thanks. I agree with all you write about the workshop. I am also not in the 1% who can claim to break better than the abs, thus, as I said, I won't feel confident to get a bike without it.

Best.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I would be suspect of anyone who says they can brake faster without ABS unless they are a GP racer.

Older, less sophisticated ABS systems have an issue with slippery surfaces like ice, snow and gravel where locking up the rear wheel would shorten the stopping distance but this is a rare instance unless you are riding off road, in which case you can turn ABS off on the rear wheel.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderBlue View Post
just from you saying you had a time where you were praying you didn't hit the car in front of you because the abs was engaged, makes me not want to own a bike WITH abs.

I have had the same experience with my car during the winter. slightly slick before a stop sign, praying the car would stop before it went into the intersection. i was only doing about 15 mph, but the abs was doing its best to not let the car stop!

I call it the anti-braking-system, since it doesn't let you stop when you want to at times.

as for your bike, I find it hard to believe that it needs the abs unit if the light isn't coming on. download the service manual that's on this site and start troubleshooting the brakes.
FWIW - I was in Alberta for a week, and coming back yesterday in my Mazda Protege5, about half an hour from home, a cow-elk suddenly ran down a hill and into my path. I instantly HAMMERED the brakes, steered behind Mrs Elk, and thanked God for ABS...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
FWIW - I was in Alberta for a week, and coming back yesterday in my Mazda Protege5, about half an hour from home, a cow-elk suddenly ran down a hill and into my path. I instantly HAMMERED the brakes, steered behind Mrs Elk, and thanked God for ABS...!
No, no, ABS is part of a conspiracy to sell more sub-par brakes. They made brakes weaker, so now we need ABS! As a matter of fact, they invented brakes just to sell us brake pads, not because we needed them!

Conspiracy I tell you!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 04:27 PM

Those damn 1%'ers. They get all the money and braking skills too.

The price seems out of whack though. Considering they only want an extra $500.00 for an ABS model over a non-ABS. FYI my local shop selling a 2015 with ABS for $7,990.00 and $8,600.00 for the LT version. They certainly aren't getting cheaper..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2010, abs, break, trouble, versys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in