Suspension tuning - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Suspension tuning

Soliciting advice from other forum members

I'm about 185-190lb fully geared up and find the rear a harsh with the stock rear suspension settings although I have no complaints about the front. Riding is almost all on pavement and mainly in an urban environment on roads that experience frost damage in the winter months. I also like to ride the twisties on occasion.

Should I lower preload? What about rebound damping?

My question have you people tuned your suspension at? Please list geared up weight and the type of riding you do (urban commuting, performance riding, touring - off road, smooth pavement, rough pavement). Let's gather as much info as we can in this thread wrt suspension tuning for the benefit of all.

Rear preload set to 5 (7 is maximum preload)
Rear rebound set to 5 clicks out (0 is screwed in fully clockwise)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The stock rear preload is insane. Even at lowest setting you probably don't have enough sag.

Same for front except reversed. Stock setting is way to soft.

I set rebound and jounce damping about mid-range.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 11:19 AM

I recently set my preload to the lowest setting and lowered the dampening to the softest. I'm like 175 when I ride, and I feel its pretty cushy now.

(Of course I rode with an unexpected passenger the other day and wished I hadn't just softened everything the night before... )

Obviously the best thing to do is set the sag appropriately, but unless you have a couple people to help or pay a shop to assist, its hard to do... Just play with the settings, start low and work your way up. Even the same size riders might prefer different settings.

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I've been playing around with my suspension since the original post of this thread some time ago. Just posting this for comparison to what others may find what works for them. I'm not sure I've got it completely dialed in but I've found a big improvement going one preload setting lower than stock in the rear. It takes away the harshness without being too soft or making the bike pogo for and aft with braking and acceleration or and wallow in higher speed turns, which I've found going much softer does. I've gone back to the stock settings up front as I cannot seem to find a better setting there.

Rider weight with gear: 185-190lb
Rear Preload 4th position out of 7 (max)
Rear Rebound 5-6

Last edited by twowheels; 06-29-2015 at 11:29 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 03:04 AM

Can't advise much since I am not using the stock shock. However, suspension although has its general guideline that applies to most, still suspension is like engine oil - everybody has their own preference. What works for others might not work for you. Vice versa

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode