Front sprocket replacement questions - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Front sprocket replacement questions

Did some searching and found a great how-to guide on these very forums. The steps sounded simple enough so I thought I'd dive in and learn something new. However the pics that go along with it seem to be missing. It's from back in '08.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=1784

So I'm looking at step 5 and I'm looking at the "cup washer" bit.

It says to open it up, which i assume means to bend it away from the nut so my socket can slip over it. I gave it a go with a flat screw driver but that thing is harder than it looks. My question is, how much force can be safely applied here? My dad suggested giving it a tap with a hammer, but something about hammering the drive train of my engine makes me squeamish.

Help me out here, does anyone have a trick for this or am I just being a giant *****? Thanks guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0776.jpg (62.5 KB, 91 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Listen to Dad....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 02:58 PM

Screw driver or cold chisel tap it flat to access nut, tap is the key word.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 03:09 PM

My Dad always said "Never 'FORCE' a fine piece of machinery! ...Just use a bigger hammer, if necessary."

But in your case - stop tapping before the tangs flattens against the engine case. That way the tang takes the abuse, and not whatever is supporting it underneath. You should be able to get the socket on it at that point.

Last edited by trialsguy; 05-15-2015 at 03:11 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 03:40 PM

Garage
Be sure to read up on the different ways to take that front socket nut off, it's a total PITA.

I ended up using a socket wedged between one of the gear teeth and the cross member to break it loose.

(Sorry, i can't find the thread that talks about this method right now, maybe someone else will chime in?)

'09 Versys
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 03:49 PM

Garage
Found the link. I used this method because I was working solo, and my HF 1/2 impact driver would not budge it.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=7280

It worked well.

'09 Versys
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone. Just got back home and time to wrap this baby up.

I did read other threads on getting the nut off. Will see what kind of damage my 1/2" impact gun can do once i get that cup thing bent out of the way...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Ok, flattening that cup washer was nothing. Few gentle taps with a hammer and its done.

I understand I'm supposed to grease up this new sprocket with something? What works and should i be slathering the whole thing or just the inner and outer edges?

Thanks again!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Sorry about all the posts/questions. Yeah that nut don't want to come off. I took the bend out of the one side of the washer that was touching the nut. Am I supposed to flatten out the whole thing to allow the thing to spin or maybe a longer breaker bar is needed? I'm using a 12 point 27mm socket on there and in the pic you can see some cut marks on the nut from the impact gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cup Washer.jpg (76.7 KB, 82 views)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post
Sorry about all the posts/questions. Yeah that nut don't want to come off. I took the bend out of the one side of the washer that was touching the nut. Am I supposed to flatten out the whole thing to allow the thing to spin or maybe a longer breaker bar is needed? I'm using a 12 point 27mm socket on there and in the pic you can see some cut marks on the nut from the impact gun.

Wrong socket!!!!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 06:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
6 point socket will get a better hold than a 12. What kind of impact are you using? How much force? Not all are strong enough.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Do NOT use a 12 point for that nut - get a 6 point impact socket (I believe 1 1/16" fits...).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Bringing this topic back up. Haven't tried to remove the engine sprocket nut yet. The washer that's bent over...can it be reused or should I buy a new one. If so, where? Couldn't find it on Partzilla or Bike Bandit.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
Bringing this topic back up. Haven't tried to remove the engine sprocket nut yet. The washer that's bent over...can it be reused or should I buy a new one. If so, where? Couldn't find it on Partzilla or Bike Bandit.
It can be re-used...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
for years I have used a wood chisel put the flat of the chisel on the nut-makes the washer very reusable

Deep in Cajun Country
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
for years I have used a wood chisel put the flat of the chisel on the nut-makes the washer very reusable
As a guess - the washer on my '08 has been re-used 5 or 6 times, and it's still fine.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Ok, flattening that cup washer was nothing. Few gentle taps with a hammer and its done.

I understand I'm supposed to grease up this new sprocket with something? What works and should i be slathering the whole thing or just the inner and outer edges?

Thanks again!

I suggest you use anti fretting or assembly compound of the front sprocket and drive splines. just an example.
http://www.dagmita.lt/uploads/file/T...1500%20TDS.pdf

JoH

Last edited by Jack of Heats JoH; 05-04-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode