Clutch Cable Replacement - How To? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Clutch Cable Replacement - How To?

OK, Shade Tree Mechanics:

So I have ordered a new clutch cable - as a preventative maintenance option. I have 48,000 kms on my '09 Versys. I thought it may be wise to swap this cable before I head to Colorado in a few weeks. Between work schedules and Spring time poor weather, my options for getting the dealer to do the job are looking slim and I may have to pick up the part and do the job myself.

Any advice on how to? Pitfalls to watch for? The other option is to pack it along for the trip - just in case. Of course, if the stock cable goes, I'll still need to know how to install the new one. On the road side. Thanks much.

Always trust your cape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 05:21 PM

Lube the cable before installing.

Run the new cable along the old cable to get routing right.

Loosen adjustment at engine end and back it off. Do the same at lever end. Once you get slack you can remove both ends. While you are at it clean and grease lever. Put some grease on barrel and exposed inner cable at lever end.

Connect up both ends. Do major adjust at engine end. Fine tune at lever end.

Now remove old cable.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
I'd just stick the new cable under your seat and keep it as a back up. I'm 37k miles into my factory cable and its still fine.if your cable is in one peace and not frayed or binding no need to replace it

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 07:07 PM

Do you want to change a clutch cable in a warm, well lighted garage or in a ditch, at night on the side of the road while it is raining?

Clutch cables are cheap.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Do you want to change a clutch cable in a warm, well lighted garage or in a ditch, at night on the side of the road while it is raining?

Clutch cables are cheap.
I'd prolly change out the cable where it's easy & stuff the old one under the seat. If you start out with doubts, they will dog you the whole trip (besides the cable is relatively cheap). This was an anual thing with my 79 wing....3 times on the road.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 09:32 PM

I have my spare clutch cable pre-installed alongside the original - rather than under the seat or in a pannier. Each end is protected with protective tape. If I do lose my clutch cable it will take some of the stress out of the equation by just having to hook the spare up and continue along.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I asked this question before I saw the replacement part. My incorrect assumption was that I'd be getting only a metal cable which would then have to be threaded through all the tubing. Having obtained the part I see that it is in fact a complete assembly, very easily switched.

Having made the change, I can see that my original cable still appears to be in good shape, so I'll hang onto it and travel with it for peace of mind, now that I know the install process.

Thanks for the help and advice all.

Always trust your cape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode