I might have finally fixed the rattle. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I might have finally fixed the rattle.

I know there's a sticky for this but what I found might help some other hapless soul.

I'd had enough of the rattle today so after a short ride I pulled into the garage determined to get to the bottom if I had to take the whole bike apart. I got the fairings all off and windshield along with the gauge cluster and didn't really see anything. So I pulled the headlight and started in on the bracketry. THAT'S when I found what looks to be the root cause of my rattle. One of the bolt and nuts that hold the bracket to the frame was cross threaded and not tight at all. I had to use my breaker bar to get it off. The bracket showed wear and no paint at all. I pulled it off and gave it a shot of paint and started putting things back and checking everything as I went. I had a nut & bolt to replace the bad one and I did add some 1/4" thick weather striping tape to the back side of the cluster to stiffen it up. After everything was back together I pushed the bike out and started it up. For the first time I heard the valve clicking and the injectors firing and NO rattle at all.

My guess is that bolt was cross threaded from the factory as I've never had it apart before and it was causing the cluster the vibrate in the housing no matter what I tried. No matter what else I did it was the root cause and until now I didn't know it was likely the main problem. Now I HOPE I have it fixed, I was thinking of a 2015 trade because of the rattle. I'd tried everything in the sticky and it'd seem better for a couple of days and then back like a bad penny.

Wish me luck or if it's back in a week pray I get a good deal on the 2015.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
can you post a photo with the location of the bolt?
we would all like to get rid of that rattle!!
thx!

Versys 2015 Green
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

It was the upper bolt shown below as 130B. My camera is DOA after a little bath while fishing and I really don't want to take the bike back apart.
Anyway if you look you'll see the frame in the center of the drawing and a bit to the left you'll see the bracketry and the bolt in question. You might be able to get to them and at least check them with a box end without having to pull the plastics and headlight assembly but I'm not sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 05-10-2015 at 06:42 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
great, I'll take a look.
I did a test ride with V1000 and the first thing I noticed was the missing rattle

Thx!

Versys 2015 Green
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:30 AM

What are the odds that we'd all have a cross threaded bolt on this bracket?

I'm thinking that the buzz is inherent in the engine design.

Better ear plugs (molded in-ear) and riding above 5,000 rpm solved my buzzing issue in my '08 V.

[The ear plugs are mainly to cut the wind noise due to the turbulence coming off the windshield, that is mounted too upright
and too far ahead of the rider "cockpit". But they also help with cutting the buzz noise.]

Last edited by trialsguy; 05-11-2015 at 09:34 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
What are the odds that we'd all have a cross threaded bolt on this bracket?

I'm thinking that the buzz is inherent in the engine design.

Better ear plugs (molded in-ear) and riding above 5,000 rpm solved my buzzing issue in my '08 V.

[The ear plugs are mainly to cut the wind noise due to the turbulence coming off the windshield, that is mounted too upright
and too far ahead of the rider "cockpit". But they also help with cutting the buzz noise.]
I doubt there's anyone else that will have that bolt cross threaded and that's why I didn't put this in the sticky. Looking back maybe I should have done so more to let folks know to look at everything. I had a doctors app today for a check up and rode the bike , nice a quiet so I have hope that the major cause of MY rattle or gone. Didn't cost me much to fix just a bolt, washer and nut I had on hand...and a bucket full of ear plugs to get fed up enough to finally track it down.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode