Aux Lighting - How to mount? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Aux Lighting - How to mount?

The question now is how to mount these on my generation 2 Versys. I don't really want to attach these to the outside of the crash bars as they would then be vulnerable in a drop. Suggestions please. Please post picks if you've installed aux lights on your Versys.

I've recently purchased a set of driving lights off of EBay after reading about them on this forum. Build quality seems very good for the $30 price although they are not yet installed so I can't comment on their performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've seen brackets made to mount them to the lower fork bolts, and I seen brackets made to mount them to the frame itself. And I've also seem clamp mounts that have them on the fork leg as well. TTs sell a nice bracket that will NEVER break it looks like but it's about $70.00 and you have to remove it to get the mid fairings off. There are lots of options out there. Check TwistThrottle.com and Superbrightleds.com

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 05:52 PM

I have Clearwater lights mounted to the forks, about 5 inches above the front axles. Yes, they stick out, but not much. I also have axle sliders on the front. When I dropped the bike (2009 V, Gen 2) in the driveway a few weeks ago, the light was undamaged even though the slider was scratched. (It was a stationary drop and maybe there would have been damage to the light had the bike been moving; I don't know.)

This is my long way of saying that you might consider visiting the Clearwater Lights site to see if their fork mounting bracket would work with your lights. The brackets look nice and are fashioned from bendable aluminum.

Come to think of it, I slammed that same light against the bumper of the family minivan once, when I was wheeling my bike into the garage. The impact bent the bracket, which I bent back straight. The light was unscathed. This was before I installed the axle sliders.

Clearwater might give you other mounting ideas. A lot of people prefer to install lights below the headlights instead of on the forks.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500

Last edited by Holden; 05-10-2015 at 05:55 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 07:04 PM

Garage
Mine are mounted at the front of the crash bars out of harms way

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 09:40 PM

Garage
I have mine miunted on the forks, directly under the lower tripple. I used some mounts for attaching larger truck lights to a roll bar/brush guard. They required a lot of moding to get them to work though in the end....If I was redoing the job I would just use some U-bolts and flat aluminum stock to make them. Much easier and cheaper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1431308405855.jpg (38.0 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg 1431308431538.jpg (43.6 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 1431308449790.jpg (34.5 KB, 138 views)

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 02:49 AM

Not a second gen but, I mounted mine on the crash guard.

The forks is also a good idea.

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1431326656.942939.jpg

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1431326829.353082.jpg

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1431326847.493547.jpg
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I used the SW motech mounts on my 2nd gen:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...-versys-650-10
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I went with the SW Motech mounts from Twistedthrottle. Early photos before I completely finished out the bike.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This is what I just ordered to put the lights on my front forks for my gen 1. You can have them off to the side, whee they may be protected depending on you bar /protection system, or mount them fully protected by having the swivel at 90 degrees. There is on made and sold by SW moto for the Denali's, but I think it has the lights partially block the turn signals. I don't know if it would work for yours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eyourlife mounts.jpg (12.5 KB, 92 views)

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 11:00 AM

Twisted Throttle will be coming out with mounts specific to the second gen. They mount to the same location as the SW Motech but are more flush to the bike. I currently have the prototypes on. I don't know when the final product will be available.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150418_114242.jpg (67.7 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 20150418_114252.jpg (46.6 KB, 107 views)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott508 View Post
Twisted Throttle will be coming out with mounts specific to the second gen. They mount to the same location as the SW Motech but are more flush to the bike. I currently have the prototypes on. I don't know when the final product will be available.
Looks further out than flush when compared to my photos.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode