chain lube - autozone - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
chain lube - autozone

I ordered Alisyn Synthetic Chain Lubricant but won't get it in time for a 200 mile trip on Friday (and chain is bone dry after 550 miles). If I stop by autozone or strauss, what should I pick up to lube the chain?

And yeah... that's me being a friendly neighborhood insurgent in my avatar photo

http://www.amcorona.com/Insurgent_contractor.jpg

Last edited by vladimirpoopen; 07-16-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 03:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Can you go to a motorcycle dealer of any brand instead? Where about are you?
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 07:35 AM

Heavy motor oil, like the manual calls for.

I like Motul off-road chain lube, all the others I've tried fling black tarry crap everywhere.

I think an O-Ring chain should be OK for a little while. There is grease packed behind each O-ring lubing the rollers, but it could rust on the outside.

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 01:53 PM

google "dupont teflon multi lube" and see what webbike world has to say about it. can buy it a Lowe's, Home Depot etc. works great, no fuss, no muss. can't get the link thing to work but copy and paste this URL:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...chain-lube.htm

edit: oh, maybe the link thingy did work.

Montani Semper Liberi
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 02:46 PM

I use WD40 on all of my bikes, I have forever. There are as many "chain lube" stories, as oil ones.

'15 DL1000
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 02:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to scaryfast777 Send a message via Skype™ to scaryfast777
Just pick up some white lithium in an aerosol can at auto zone. It sticks better than some of the best so called "wax" lubes while maintaining some of the same characteristics, and lubricates very well. I have been using it for quite some time now....as well as many of my friends. I have had quite a few years of experience with chain lubes, both for bicycles and motorcycles so my recommendation is solid. I work in a bicycle shop and get to experiment with different lubes on a daily basis so I have a fairly good understanding in regards to what kind of love a chain needs, wether it is motorcycle or bicycle.
Hope this helps.

-Scaryfast777

The Secret To Creativity Is knowing How To Hide Your Sources. -Albert Einstein
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 03:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to scaryfast777 Send a message via Skype™ to scaryfast777
I would have to disagree with jnor when it comes to using WD-40. WD-40 is actually worse for your chain than no lube at all. Some of the ingredients act as a degreaser which will destroy your chain......not to mention the fact that if you have an o-ring chain you will severely damage those as well. As a bicycle mechanic I warn customers to not even use it on bicycle chains because they simply move to fast and WD-40 is to thin in the first place. WD-40 is not known as a lube it is marketed as a rust inhibitor. Just be careful with what you use, because messing with your chain, especially drying it out, is serious business. If any part of your drivetrain fails unexpectedly it could cause a major problem.....possibly resulting in you getting severely injured.

-Scaryfast777

The Secret To Creativity Is knowing How To Hide Your Sources. -Albert Einstein
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

I went with the first suggestion and just stopped by the dealer. They are under staffed and I was trying to avoid waiting around just for some lube
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryfast777 View Post
I would have to disagree with jnor when it comes to using WD-40. WD-40 is actually worse for your chain than no lube at all. Some of the ingredients act as a degreaser which will destroy your chain......not to mention the fact that if you have an o-ring chain you will severely damage those as well. As a bicycle mechanic I warn customers to not even use it on bicycle chains because they simply move to fast and WD-40 is to thin in the first place. WD-40 is not known as a lube it is marketed as a rust inhibitor. Just be careful with what you use, because messing with your chain, especially drying it out, is serious business. If any part of your drivetrain fails unexpectedly it could cause a major problem.....possibly resulting in you getting severely injured.
The FZ1 forum, and the Hayabusa forum, people swear by WD40. I haven't had any issue's in years of useing on all of my bikes including a Hayabusa.
It's like oil threads...always a "hot" topic (chain lubes)

'15 DL1000
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 08:36 PM

WD-40 is a great solvent - just try it on tar on your car paint - works great. I bet it dissolves that grease inside the rollers of an o/x-ring chain too.

I use motorcycle-specific chain lube on my bike chains. I seem to go toward the chain wax-type stuff as it doesn't fling as much mess around the swingarm and the inside of the countershaft sprocket cover.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 09:17 PM

WD40 is not a lubricant. WD stands for water displacement...

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

States I've ridden in so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 08:21 AM

WD-40 is a huge no no for chains. It will break down the rubber O-rings and wash the grease away. It's a crappy lube. It's OK for keeping rust off of metal, for a short while.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 10:09 AM

I use the Dupont stuff on all my bikes,My speed triple chain has close to 30k on it using nothing but the dupont,it also has the advantage of being useful to lubricate cables,pivot points ect ect and its readily available at Lowes or many ACE hardware stores for around 5 bucks a can.And it doesn't fling
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 09:08 PM

I have 23,000 miles on my chain and it still looks ok. I use chain lube spray sometimes and all the other times I use WD40.

If WD was as bad as people say it is, I doubt my chain and all the other chains people use WD on would last so long.

No, I'm no expert but I am logical. If there are people who use WD and are getting good results from it, are they imagining it?
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
No, I'm no expert but I am logical. If there are people who use WD and are getting good results from it, are they imagining it?
Could they be getting better results using something designed for chain lubrication?

I'm not choosing sides, I just think that you asked the wrong question at the end.

To address what you asked, maybe your good results stem from occasional use of chain lubricant spray, and not the WD-40. You may not be imagining the result, but you may be misidentifying the cause.

In order to get a reliable result we'd need to set up a double blinded experiment with well defined controls and... blah, blah, blah...

Seriously, someone should do a study, just not me.

Last edited by hugerider; 07-22-2008 at 12:27 AM.
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 04:39 AM

Let's move on to a oil thread......or Harley bashing...or something

'15 DL1000
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 06:22 PM

WD website says ok to use on chains:

http://www.wd40.com/faqs/

From another forum:

Hey Y'all
Several people have said you can never use WD-40 for chain lube. One it is a light lubricant and cannot handle the loads. Two it will destroy the O rings on and O ring chain and remove the permanent lube. My personal experience does not agree with that. I have used it exclusively on O ring chains since 1986 and not had a problem. I have also seen several articles that say it will not attack the O rings. I have also seen several that say it will. I do not know who is right but what I do know is that my 1986 GSXR 750 still has its original chain and sprockets after 26,000 miles I also had a ducati 851 that I changed the chain at 16,000 miles. I was very concerned and called John Hoffman, the dealer I bought the bike from, to ask if I had messed up with the WD-40 by getting so few miles. John assured me I had gotten more life from my chain than any other bike he worked on and stop my complaining and just send him a check for the new one. Anyone that knows John knows this is tantamount to an endorsement from him. I have also been told that he has been overheard advising customers that my chains always look very good to him and he could see no reason not to use WD-40 other than he had always heard that it would not work. What it all boils down to is everyone has an opinion and I do not know of a test any more scientific than mine so it is an individual decision. I pray off my chain when I return from a ride and it is still hot. I then take a rag and wipe off the excess (most of the time). The only chain that gets real lube is the F1B with its non O ring chain.
Jim

Just had a long conversation with Randy Barry, Chief of Operations, at WD-40 Corporation in San Diego, California. He says that it basically boils down to a personal preference decision whether one uses WD-40 on motorcycle chains. If you do use it you should lubricate on a much more regular schedule and you should have no problems. They do not have a whole lot of experience with testing on motorcycle chains, but they do on bicycle chains, with great success, and are the sponsor of the "GTX Motocross Team". I'm not sure if this helped, but it does give their prospective. They do not have a web site but I think I may have made a good contact for my web design business also. I am going to send them a proposal. <grin>
Sheldon
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 06:37 PM

And more glowing results from WD as a chain lube.

http://www.bulletpress.com/pdf/wd40chal.PDF

Come on, the stuff works and the nay sayers could go and spend the big bucks for a "right" spray, if that is what makes them happy.
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 06:53 PM

I got some white lithium spray grease at Home Depot for about $5 and it works great. Sounds like there are lots of good lubricants you can use. The white lithium spray stays on really well.
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
And more glowing results from WD as a chain lube.

http://www.bulletpress.com/pdf/wd40chal.PDF

Come on, the stuff works and the nay sayers could go and spend the big bucks for a "right" spray, if that is what makes them happy.
Kind of like an ATGATT argument, isn't it...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode