Gen 3 sprockets... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gen 3 sprockets...

Hello again everyone,

I'm considering going to the 44 or 43 tooth rear sprocket on my 2015 Versy 650... Not seeing any aftermarket companies selling them yet.... Recon this is dealer only at this point?

I've read for 43 tooth you physically can use the stock chain but it's best to have a few links removed?

My 1st gear is completely pointless on my 15' Versy..... IMHO.... Unless I'm pulling stumps out of the ground I hate having to shift through the first three gears as if they weren't there...

1st gear is a torquey jumpy mess right now IMO.... At least for my riding style,,,, not to mention engine braking wants to send you over the handlebars.

I'm 60-70% highway commuter....

Thoughts? Opinions? Criticism? All welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 05:27 AM

From previous posts, etc, etc - it's normally easier on the chain to use larger sprockets (less bending) so 16 front sprocket should be first choice. It is also less work to change. If determined to change the rear then the 43 is slightly higher gearing ratio (less rpm) than 16. Either one will change the bike's riding response.
I put the 16 on mine (2012) and when I switch to my friend's stock 2012 I can definitely tell the difference. I wish I could have a switch to be able to go back and forth between the two but overall with my needs I'll live with the 16.
Good luck with your choice!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I also went the 16T front and it makes a big difference. (stock rear sprocket)

easier to swap out a 16T front sprocket and keep the 120 link chain length.

You will be able to ride around in 1st gear now instead of quick shifting out of it.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 09:03 AM

+1 I've been using a 16T sprocket for 7 riding seasons. It works great, it makes the speedo read correctly (but the odo will under read by 6%), it reduces wear on the chain and on the swing arm chain guide. No need to make any changes to the chain length. And - I get to my destination quicker (for a given indicated speed on the speedometer).
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 09:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
Hello again everyone,

My 1st gear is completely pointless on my 15' Versy..... IMHO.... Unless I'm pulling stumps out of the ground I hate having to shift through the first three gears as if they weren't there...

1st gear is a torquey jumpy mess right now IMO.... At least for my riding style,,,, not to mention engine braking wants to send you over the handlebars.
Control man !

LOP
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 12:19 PM

Garage
Does anyone know if the front sprocket is any different than say a 2012? I don't know why they would change its mounting or pitch or anything about it... SHOULD be the same, shouldn't it?

I am hoping to make the same change to the 16T front soon too.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
+1 I've been using a 16T sprocket for 7 riding seasons. It works great, it makes the speedo read correctly (but the odo will under read by 6%), it reduces wear on the chain and on the swing arm chain guide. No need to make any changes to the chain length. And - I get to my destination quicker (for a given indicated speed on the speedometer).

According to my Garmin I'm 2 mph off on my speedometer using a 16 tooth front sprocket.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulff81 View Post
Does anyone know if the front sprocket is any different than say a 2012? I don't know why they would change its mounting or pitch or anything about it... SHOULD be the same, shouldn't it?

Yes.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
OEM 16T.......http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...3144-0038.html

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E327 View Post
According to my Garmin I'm 2 mph off on my speedometer using a 16 tooth front sprocket.

My Garmin Zumo 550 sometimes says my (2008) speedo is right on, and sometimes it says my speedo is off by 1 mph. It must be in the rounding somewhere. Close enough for me.

Last edited by trialsguy; 05-08-2015 at 03:33 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 03:28 PM

Just for another opinion: I've used both a 44 tooth and a 43 tooth on my 09 V. Did not have to change chain length - simply re-adjusted. 43 tooth worked best for me, so I later put it on my 10 V. The 09 V speedometer agrees with my Garmin nuvi GPS. My 10 V is 2mph slower than the GPS. Both bikes show same GPS speed with same RPM, so the 10 V speedometer is 2MPH slower than my 09 V speedometer.

I didn't find any problem in installing the rear sprockets. And, several people on this Forum have reported difficulty getting the front sprocket-nut loose. So, INMHO, I recommend changing the rear sprocket.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
Just for another opinion: I've used both a 44 tooth and a 43 tooth on my 09 V. Did not have to change chain length - simply re-adjusted. 43 tooth worked best for me, so I later put it on my 10 V. The 09 V speedometer agrees with my Garmin nuvi GPS. My 10 V is 2mph slower than the GPS. Both bikes show same GPS speed with same RPM, so the 10 V speedometer is 2MPH slower than my 09 V speedometer.

I didn't find any problem in installing the rear sprockets. And, several people on this Forum have reported difficulty getting the front sprocket-nut loose. So, INMHO, I recommend changing the rear sprocket.
When you went with the 43 T, about how many "hash marks" did you need to move the rear axel (from the stock rear sprocket) to get the proper chain tension? Thanks.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
...Thoughts? Opinions? Criticism? All welcome!
Just be aware that, by changing the gearing UP, there MAY come a time when you'll have a problem getting underway - hill, load. etc.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Just be aware that, by changing the gearing UP, there MAY come a time when you'll have a problem getting underway - hill, load. etc.
I've not experienced that. But I have experienced reduced acceleration, to a minor extent.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 02:40 PM

Garage
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by E327 View Post
Yes to which question? Or, is that the point? It's different and the same!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Yes to which question? Or, is that the point? It's different and the same!

Same engine so should be same sprockets.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode