Gas cap troubles - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gas cap troubles

Well I hardly if ever complain about my V but I have one gripe that I have forgot to mention until a recent visit to the gas station this past weekend. My gas cap, or I should say the key and lock part have always given me a little trouble when closing it. Opening it is never a problem and it is not a lube things. This last time though I could not close the stupid thing to save my life. It was embarrassing, eventually needing to get off my bike and push it away from the pumps to "tinker" with it for a few minutes. I almost got pissed enough to brake the key off inside trying to get it to lock shut. I finally ended up pushing down on the cap very hard and it finally lined up and was able to lock it shut. Any one else experience issues with your gas cap and key mechanism?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 01:43 AM

Garage
Open cap, spray WD-40 in and around the locking tabs, close cap. Your welcome.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaofan View Post
Well I hardly if ever complain about my V but I have one gripe that I have forgot to mention until a recent visit to the gas station this past weekend. My gas cap, or I should say the key and lock part have always given me a little trouble when closing it. Opening it is never a problem and it is not a lube things. This last time though I could not close the stupid thing to save my life. It was embarrassing, eventually needing to get off my bike and push it away from the pumps to "tinker" with it for a few minutes. I almost got pissed enough to brake the key off inside trying to get it to lock shut. I finally ended up pushing down on the cap very hard and it finally lined up and was able to lock it shut. Any one else experience issues with your gas cap and key mechanism?
Press the end of the cap to open and close it, o/w you'll break a key. And put high tech lube in locks every now and then when they get hard, even if pressing to relieve lock pressure.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Open cap, spray WD-40 in and around the locking tabs, close cap. Your welcome.

Combined with Kawdog's pressing it down that should work. With that type of cap I have always had to push it down to get the key to turn to remove. If not you might have bigger problems.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
When closing the cap turn the key first to close the tabs, then press the front of the gas cap down and release the key. If you need to, press a bit harder till the tabs click out and lock the cap.

When opening the cap I always press down on the front to take some weight off the tabs so I can turn the key easy.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 09:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Press the end of the cap to open and close it, o/w you'll break a key. And put high tech lube in locks every now and then when they get hard, even if pressing to relieve lock pressure.
I also use that method and so far nothing to report ...

LOP
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I just put keyless gas caps on my bikes...

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode