Checking oil level via the sight window - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2015, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Checking oil level via the sight window

Greetings...
I bought a new, old stock 2013 back in December. I changed my oil at about 300 miles after a fairly hard break in, 2Q of 10w-40 Halvoline dino and whatever crappy fram filter Advance sells. Immediately my oil was milky from condensation and stayed that way, even after HARD runs on the interstate and multi-hour rides on the twisties. It's also been somewhat foamy and a color I don't particularly like, just sorta off looking, so I decided to change it again today after wading through a bunch of the oil/filter threads, she's currently just short of 700 miles.

I opted for the long PureOne and the Mobil1 Racing 4T, again 2 quarts. I got her hot, I centered her, I drained for a long time, and then I rocked it back and forth to make sure every drop was out.

I refilled, waited, and restarted and let her run for ~20 minutes. When she's on the kickstand, there is no oil visible in the window. When she's upright and pretty well centered (front wheel may be sliiiightly elevated), the fill level is over the top line. Revving centered froths the oil, which tells me there's too much in there.

So....after all that I have three questions:
1. The bike should be centered when checking the window, yeah?
2. It's 2 Quarts, right? I see some people saying 2.5? How is 2Q after a darn near dry drain overfilling me? I did NOT prefill the new filter.
3. What if any damage am I doing to my bike if 2Q is an overfill?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2015, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Did you read the manual? I don't have mine handy, but I follow it everytime I service the bike. I would go by the manual before I go by what people say on a forum.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 05-06-2015 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:58 PM

To check the oil level balance the bike on its wheels. My bike takes about 2 qts and 6 - 8 oz to bring it to the top mark with filter change and a nice long drain on a paddock stand. I use the PL14610 Pureone filter. I put in two qts and the sneak up on it adding a couple of ounces at a time.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
1. Bike on Level ground,
2. Hold the bike vertical when checking (not resting the sidestand). Get someone else to hold it, or rest the handle bar against a wall or tree. (I do use a Rear paddock stand to keep mine vertical, raising the rear wheel has no or little affect on oil level)
3. Check capacity of oil in manual - use this as a guide for filling.
4. Have a long funnel and fill slowly - you cannot dump the oil in fast like a car!
5. Refer to (1) and (2) above... Check Oil level after 1-2 minutes so oil has time to fall into sump.
6. Top up extra oil untill the oil in sight glass is between the Min and Max marks. Max is OK. Min needs a top up.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Your level read higher because it had just been running for 20 minutes... Check it again once cooled down and settled, and to let the air out of the oil.

Last edited by invader; 05-06-2015 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:51 PM

2 quarts are all I need in every oil change I do and I think I drain it dry but apparently not. I still have a few drops in my second quart if it needs any later but she never does.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I didn't think I was that crazy. I'll check again and I guess remove some tonight if necessary.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:29 AM

Garage
Just to be clear, engine has to be shut off when checking the oïl level !

LOP
Old 05-06-2015, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Just to be clear, engine has to be shut off when checking the oïl level !
It was when I first filled it, but it kept filling and then lowering, plus I knew the filter would take some once I started it up. You're right that I need to look again with it cold and not running though. I'll do that tonight.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:31 AM

The best way is to check after the bike has set overnight. The PL14610 adds a little oil capacity. Balance the bike on its wheels. It is the best indicator that the bike is perfectly vertical. Just a tiny bit of lean makes a huge difference. Balance the bike and watch the oil level as you move it back and forth across the balance point.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Cool, will do. I don't have spools or anything, but I use a piece of 2x4 to keep the stand from digging into the gravel in my carport, and in the location where I work on it that seems to bring it almost perfectly level. I will definitely look again tonight. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Your engine SHOULD have a small chromed plate just aft and slightly above the oil-sight-window detailing how much oil it takes.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Old 05-06-2015, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Your engine SHOULD have a small chromed plate just aft and slightly above the oil-sight-window detailing how much oil it takes.

IMG_0122 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 05-07-2015, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
Cool, will do. I don't have spools or anything, but I use a piece of 2x4 to keep the stand from digging into the gravel in my carport, and in the location where I work on it that seems to bring it almost perfectly level. I will definitely look again tonight. Thanks for the heads up.
You're supposed to check the oil level on a level surface, while holding the Versys perfectly balanced upright with the handlebar centered. It takes almost no effort at all holding it standing upright and balanced on its own so that it's perfectly and naturally level. No propped side-stand, and never mind the spools and bike lift. It only takes a second to check your oil level properly, before starting the engine.

Last edited by invader; 05-07-2015 at 03:57 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks.

There is no plate by my window. I might be dumb but I'm not stupid.

I rechecked last night after letting it sit and cool and it's about perfect. Thanks all!
Old 05-07-2015, 11:45 AM

That little chrome plate is strange, you may have the only bike with one of those on it. I have never seen it on any other V, is that a US bike?
Old 05-07-2015, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaofan View Post
That little chrome plate is strange, you may have the only bike with one of those on it. I have never seen it on any other V, is that a US bike?

That was my 09...Eddie has an 08 & 09.....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 05-07-2015, 05:58 PM

It is also on the 07, which was made in Japan!
Old 05-08-2015, 01:59 AM

Garage
My service manual says

Recommended Engine Oil
Type: API SG, SH, SJ, SL or SM with JASO MA,
MA1 or MA2
Viscosity: SAE 10W-40
Capacity: 1.7 L (1.8 US qt) (when filter is not
removed)
1.9 L (2.0 US qt) (when filter is removed)
2.4 L (2.5 US qt) (when engine is
completely dry)

Oil Level Inspection
• Check that the engine oil level is between the upper [A]
and lower [B] levels in the gauge.
NOTE
○Situate the motorcycle so that it is perpendicular to the ground.
○If the motorcycle has just been used, wait several minutes for all the oil to drain down.
○If the oil has just been changed, start the engine and run it for several minutes at idle speed. This fills the oil filter with oil. Stop the engine, then wait several minutes until the oil settles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
My 2012 doesn't have it

Last edited by MaverickAus; 05-08-2015 at 02:05 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
That was my 09...Eddie has an 08 & 09.....
And BOTH have them!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fill window, oil volume

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in