Tank removal and plug change - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tank removal and plug change

If I'm taking the tank off to re-organize some wiring with a new fuse box, and to clean the air filter, should I change the plugs. I got a little wary when I heard talk that I also should do some other more technical items than I am familiar with. I'm coming up on 7,000 miles and while she is running great, my gas mileage is staring to decrease, but I am doing almost all city riding.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
If your going to have the tank off you might as well go ahead and change them. Very simple to do, you might have to pry the stick coils off.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
There is a 7500 mile service that includes replacing the spark plugs and cleaning the air filter.

Now is the time to do the above. Why put the bike back together now and then remove the tank again in 500 miles.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
reduced fuel millage can be due to dirty coked up cylinders... taking the spark plugs out is a quick and easy check to see how your engine is running.

If the Spark Plugs are fouled and dirty with a lot of carbon, then you heads and valves will also be dirty and this will reduce you millage.

Checking the plugs is basic bike health maintenance. At 7,000 miles You probably do not need to change them... some have used the originals for many many more miles.

While you have the Tank off - check and balance your Throttle Bodies. This can also help millage.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Joe, I haven't pulled the manual out yet, but am doubting that the term "prying off sticky coils" is in there. What's the rub and what's the process? With regards to the balancing of the throttle bodies that Gigett mentioned, is this something that is explained in the manual, and will i need anything special(tool) to calibrate or adjust? Please realize that the only engine M & R done in the last 40 years has been changing out the plug(s) on lawn mowers.

rayj
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 09:56 AM

here is a nice low tech write up of that procedure.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=77513

I'm no diplomat
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 10:37 AM

Suggestions for you:
  • Buy a pair of spark plugs. When you remove the plugs and check on them, you can put them back if they look fine. Then you have the replacements in your possession when you need to replace them in future.
  • Get a few feet of spiral wrap or wire loom or whatever you call it from the auto parts store. Use it to protect the wiring between the new fuse box and the front of the bike. Wires can get pinched easily under the tank and in the area where the tank meets the saddle. Check the wiring after you put the tank back on to make sure you're not pinching anything.
  • This project is harder when the tank is full. The lighter the better.
  • Before you take the tank off, figure out where you're going to put it. I recommend laying two short lengths of 2-by-4 on the floor and spacing them apart 6 or 8 inches or so. The tank's fuel connector is plastic and it sticks down from the bottom of the tank. Setting the tank on the 2-by-4s, with the fuel connector dangling between them, will protect it from breakage. (The boards can be set on the floor on their wide sides.)
  • When you put the tank back on, make sure both rubber mounts are still on. They're near the headstock. Sometimes a rubber mount wants to fall off and roll away.
  • The next time will be easier.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 01:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
Joe, I haven't pulled the manual out yet, but am doubting that the term "prying off sticky coils" is in there. What's the rub and what's the process? With regards to the balancing of the throttle bodies that Gigett mentioned, is this something that is explained in the manual, and will i need anything special(tool) to calibrate or adjust? Please realize that the only engine M & R done in the last 40 years has been changing out the plug(s) on lawn mowers.

I didn't see it the manual that you would need to stick a screw driver through the original oil filter to get it off or get a bigger gorilla than the one kawasaki uses to get the front sprocket off in there either..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Joe, I did not know what the stick coils were, not having changed anything but a lawnmower spark plug in 40 years. Do I have to replace these every spark plug change, and if so, what do they cost?

rayj
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
You do not need to replace your stick-coils as a regular occurrence, ONLY if they fail. (Stick-coils are the spark-plug wires CONTAINING your coils.)

What Joe meant, was, that they are hard to pull up, so sometimes GENTLE use of a pry of some sort will help them come up enough to be able to pull them off the plugs.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 04:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Joe, I did not know what the stick coils were, not having changed anything but a lawnmower spark plug in 40 years. Do I have to replace these every spark plug change, and if so, what do they cost?

Some of the 2008's had issues with the stick coils cracking. I found some cheap ones off a 2010 and upgraded my 2009. It wasn't needed i just like to spend money doing stupid things sometimes.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 04:28 PM

My stick coils come off easily. The spark plugs don't have those screw-on nipples on them. Should they? (If so, I have to find some. When I bought plugs recently, the screw-on nipples weren't in the packages.)

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 04:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post
My stick coils come off easily. The spark plugs don't have those screw-on nipples on them. Should they? (If so, I have to find some. When I bought plugs recently, the screw-on nipples weren't in the packages.)

Screw on nipples not needed...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

With all this talk, I have to get one of my old jokes in here.

Do you know what bumps are around a woman's nipples? It a form of Braille saying, suck me.

Sorry, I can't help myself. To many jokes upstairs I have to get rid of. Thanks for all your help and advice as usual.

rayj
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 05:38 PM

Then I'm a compulsive Braille reader.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 05:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
With all this talk, I have to get one of my old jokes in here.

Do you know what bumps are around a woman's nipples? It a form of Braille saying, suck me.

Sorry, I can't help myself. To many jokes upstairs I have to get rid of. Thanks for all your help and advice as usual.
I bet her say "Yummy"
544583_10200358780186629_1405519864_n by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 05-06-2015 at 05:51 PM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
...It wasn't needed i just like to spend money doing stupid things sometimes.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode