Trying to fix some mileage issues - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Trying to fix some mileage issues

I was reading in other threads about some of the things you can do to increase your mileage and the overall bike performance, so I've decided to tackle the spark plugs, air filter, stick coils, valves. I know there's plenty of information on <i>how</i> to do all of this... my questions are more specifically, are there good quality Canadian Tire parts/tools that will help me accomplish this with my '08 V?

For feeler gauges, I see these by CT..

Spark Plugs, if I'm sticking with NGK, I see these - lots of options..not sure which I should be looking at (doesn't help they don't give actual part numbers).

I've got a socket set, so I'm assuming I'll be okay there, same with the Allen keys for the fairing (windscreen has wingnuts on it from previous owner).
For a 3/8" torque wrench, I know you can get really spendy on these items... are either of these any good? (not even considering the $24 option)

For the valve check... is there anything I can really pick up ahead of time shim-wise? Or do I just need to check things out to see how good/bad they are, then purchase as required? Feeler gauges above should be sufficient I would think, and I'll pick up some quality emery paper to sand them down should they need it. I already have a micrometer I trust.

For the Air filter I'm a little more lost. Is there a CT cleaner/oil that would work well? I don't plan to be in a hurry, so it can air dry..
Not planning on doing anything with the coils unless they look like they're damaged, in which case, I'll come check the forum and post if necessary.

Thanks for your help folks - Part of the reason I'm loving my Versys is this community.

I'm hoping this will fix some stuff, but if you have suggestions on anything else I should look at doing (vacuum mod perhaps?) while I have everything off, I'm game for trying it! Just ... need to know what I should be picking up.

If it's helpful information, I have an 08 Versys with ~27555km on it, and have been getting steadily dropping mileage this season (started at 38mpg, then dropped to 35mpg, last fill-up I had ~28mpg) so I'm trying to find a remedy while doing some probably overdue maintenance. I don't believe there's anything non-stock in terms of sprockets/brakes/etc.

Thanks again everybody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

I am no expert, nor do I play one on TV, I am just another rider.

I know from my primary bike, a Honda, my mileage can vary to a large degree- based on quality of gas sometimes, wind, load (cargo) and mostly-- at what point am I shifting-- am I "enjoying" the tug of the engine, or just going quietly through the gears... ?

If I am riding with chums, I find myself sometimes driving at their pace, and not my own. As they have 1200 cc bikes, sometimes it takes a bit of throttle to keep up to what comes easy to their bikes. This costs me MPG, I see it almost every Saturday...

I might see 50 MPG from my Honda if I ride alone... and 38 - 43 MPG riding with chums.

I don't know if all the rest has as big an influence, certainly if it's all messed up, shiddy plugs, dirty air filter, etc., certainly would have an effect. But don't chop up your air box, etc to try to gain MPG. I think for me anyway, it's my trigger finger that controls MPG most, maybe wind and the load of my gear come after that.

Great pursuit none the less
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
None of that stuff will affect mileage or performance if your bike is running well. The best way to increase mileage is to ride conservatively and slow down. Bikes have poor aerodynamics and high speed causes the mileage to plumet.

The NGK CR9EK is a dual electrode plug used in many sportbikes like the GSXR1000 might be worth a hp. Most aircleaners like K&N will cost you hp. You can expect nothing from exhaust mods regardless of claims. All you will get is noise. Lose 20 lbs if you want to accelerate faster. Twenty pounds is equivalent to about 2 hp.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
I don't know if this maintenance has ever been done, so really, I'm planning on doing it regardless, and if it helps my mileage, great...

I haven't changed my riding style drastically, I'm not riding with others, and I've started putting higher-octane fuel in the bike this season, and my mpg is dropping rather rapidly.

My question(s) about the parts/tools and whether there's good CT versions still applies.. I'll need the tools at some point anyways if I want to do my own maintenance (which I do).

Thanks again!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 02:25 PM

Might check for rolling resistance- bearings and brake calipers.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Might check for rolling resistance- bearings and brake calipers.
Also - tire pressures.

I've run 36F, 42R in ALL my bikes for years (as does "jdrocks" I BELIEVE), do NOT "air-down" on dirt, and I tend to get PDG mileage....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Also - tire pressures.

I've run 36F, 42R in ALL my bikes for years (as does "jdrocks" I BELIEVE), do NOT "air-down" on dirt, and I tend to get PDG mileage....

I just got my rear tire replaced (Bridgestone T30) and haven't checked the tire pressure since (assuming they do their job properly)... does it matter that I'm a bigger boy?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 02:45 PM

Higher tire pressure might get you better mileage and tire wear but will hurt handling. I run 32/36 on PR4. If I were going canyon carving it would probably closer to 30/30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode