Reserve light ? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Reserve light ?

My new (left over) 2012 is approaching 5k miles and recently found myself far from a station, low on fuel. I filled up at 212 on the trip meter and it took 4.6 gallons. So I had .4 gal. remaining and no reserve light flashing. I expected it to flash around .9 gal as the owners manual says. Just wondering if others have seen this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
My new (left over) 2012 is approaching 5k miles and recently found myself far from a station, low on fuel. I filled up at 212 on the trip meter and it took 4.6 gallons. So I had .4 gal. remaining and no reserve light flashing. I expected it to flash around .9 gal as the owners manual says. Just wondering if others have seen this?
Unless you are boringly consistent, it's hard to estimate gallons with gas sloshing around in your tank. I've only seen mine flash once when it was new to me. I ran out once 50 yards from a cheesy gas station I usually tried to avoid, where the pumps never had receipts working. It hasn't flashed low since.

When and if I see mine flash again, I'm heading directly to a gas station
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 05:43 PM

I put 4.6 gallons in yesterday without a FUEL light! But I see it sometimes and I put in about 4 gallons... kawdog's suspicions are correct, as I see the light on my boring ride to work, but didn't see it on a thrilling twisty 180 mile ride yesterday.. I go by the mileage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 11:31 PM

Garage
I keep the dash on clock. When the tank is low, It changes from clock to fuel. I am not sure if it does it when on odometer or not.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 01:18 AM

If you are just looking for the blinking warning mine did come on twice and both times the miles were 212 - 214.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaofan View Post
If you are just looking for the blinking warning mine did come on twice and both times the miles were 212 - 214.
Yes, I want the warning, but like many of you I use the trip meter as a primary check. I normally fill up around 200 miles but this particular time I went past that and I was surprised the "blinky" didn't blink. I won't expect the warning in the future.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 07:52 AM

I never depend on the light. I know to fill between 170-190 and be happy. I learned when taking flying lesions that it's real hard to "Pull over to a cloud" so check everything twice before you start and always run your fuel burn charts.

I get about 46-50 mile per gal and it comes out at about 1 gal of reserve. I also it's not as hard to find a station on the right coast but I understand you guys on the left coast may have problems at time so keep a close eye on it.

PS I really did see a State Highway Dept sign warning that the next gas stop was 180 miles away. In WY as I remember.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 05-03-2015 at 06:19 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 06:57 PM

Garage
Mine works fine. I have about 40 - 50 kms left when it comes on. And yes it works regardless of the settings of the display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode