Tire Pressure? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tire Pressure?

Hey guys and gals, what pressures are you running with the stock Dunlops?

Donn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 04:34 PM

32 psi front. 36 psi rear. As recommended by the manufacturer.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 04:42 PM

The label says 32/36 so that's what I run.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 05:17 PM

Send a message via MSN to StarLight
the same with stock dunlops, but also the same with the current dunlop roadsmarts; it's what's on the kawa label on your bike, so that's what's applied

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
My service guy told me 36psi front and rear. Works fine for me

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 06:24 PM

Pilot Roads 2's - run 32-34 front and solid 36 in rear. Same as i did for my stock Dunlops. Got 9K from the stockers, and right at 12 with my rear PP2. Ordered a new PP2 yesterday, going to keep the front on, it looks fine.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 02:30 AM

Send a message via MSN to StarLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
My service guy told me 36psi front and rear. Works fine for me
They did that at my last service, but I didn't like the feeling in the front tyre, it was too hard and not comfortable any more (lots of cobbled roads here, and curbs to take). So adjusted it back to 32psi for the front tyre.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 10:43 AM

A better question would be: "Why do you run different tire pressure than the factory recommendation?" Arbitrary? No gas station within 250 miles? Because Uncle Louie did it on his 68 Bonneville?

Again, as stupid as we sometimes feel the factory is, they actually do extensive testing on every aspect of their product (except, obviously, the mirrors and cowl fitment ), particularly regarding safety and liability. Optimum tire pressure falls into that category. Fooling with tire pressure directly affects handling (safety), stopping (safety) and tire wear. Rider comfort is usually addressed by the suspension settings.

V-Zee
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerstehenZee View Post
A better question would be: "Why do you run different tire pressure than the factory recommendation?" Arbitrary? No gas station within 250 miles? Because Uncle Louie did it on his 68 Bonneville?

Again, as stupid as we sometimes feel the factory is, they actually do extensive testing on every aspect of their product (except, obviously, the mirrors and cowl fitment ), particularly regarding safety and liability. Optimum tire pressure falls into that category. Fooling with tire pressure directly affects handling (safety), stopping (safety) and tire wear. Rider comfort is usually addressed by the suspension settings.

V-Zee
Well said. Using BT016 and run 32/36 and no problem. Remove stock tires after 1k due to my stupidity. Lack of confidence.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
LOL

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 11:54 AM

I think some people get confused because the manufacturer says one number and the tire may say a different number. Always go with the manufacturer. The number on the side of the tire is just the maximum pressure for that particular tire...not the recommended pressure for your particular moto.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 12:31 PM

As a side note on this, I once worked at an oil change shop and the owner was convinced that tires should be inflated to the numbers on the sidewall. This ended when customers began coming back complaining that their Lexus rode like a Radio Flyer wagon. It actually was sort of amusing until he fired me for harrassing his stupidity.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
My service guy suggested 36F and 42R when I picked up my "V" so that's what we set it for. Within the FIRST 150 miles I had indications of using the tread, front and rear) to within 1/4" of the end of the sides. That's with the OEM Dunlops which I thought were PDG!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post
32 psi front. 36 psi rear. As recommended by the manufacturer.
Yup, me too.

Jsquared

Rider of all things 2 wheeled

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Well said. Using BT016 and run 32/36 and no problem. Remove stock tires after 1k due to my stupidity. Lack of confidence.
Hey Fastoman, let me know how long those BT016 last you... Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:

V-Zee
On my Goldwing I routinely run more than the factory recommendation. They recommend 36 and I run 41 front and rear. Even most dealers recommend it because of front tire cupping issues on the Goldwing. My Stones last 11k to 12k on the Goldwing.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
My service guy suggested 36F and 42R when I picked up my "V" so that's what we set it for. Within the FIRST 150 miles I had indications of using the tread, front and rear) to within 1/4" of the end of the sides. That's with the OEM Dunlops which I thought were PDG!
I am running pretty close to this on my PR2s and have to say, I like the feeling a lot more. Much more flickable.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 06:08 PM

blue bikes need 32/36 pressure because of the increased torque and the advanced cornering ability - green ones can almost be flat; red ones are even worse

Foo Fighter Rider
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
orange ones should be filled with nitrogen in the tyres because of the very high warp speed acheived
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 06:31 PM

I fill my red one's tires with nails.
Eat that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode