Problems? (Sound Clips) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Problems? (Sound Clips)

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid, but I noticed a whining sound when I apply any throttle. I have to put my head near the seat while riding to really hear it, and it's like a light switch.. Throttle closed, there is zero sound. The moment the throttle is opened a tiny bit, I hear this whiny electric sound. Is it the chain? (Brand new chain and sprockets 1000 miles ago).

Also included is another example of my 3rd gear whirring sound, which we never really figured out years ago.. Maybe someone new has a clue?

And then some other fun sounds you might enjoy.

I took these with a zoom h5 in my tank bag, so it's a little muffled, and theres noise from the mics hitting the bag material. The sound I am worried about is not justified in these clips, but maybe you can hear what I'm talking about.

https://soundcloud.com/sonofnothing/sets/versys-sounds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Here was mine.https://youtu.be/9eRGVATevug?t=59s After adjusting the chain. All was good..

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofnothing View Post
Hopefully I'm just being paranoid, but I noticed a whining sound when I apply any throttle. I have to put my head near the seat while riding to really hear it, and it's like a light switch.. Throttle closed, there is zero sound. The moment the throttle is opened a tiny bit, I hear this whiny electric sound. Is it the chain? (Brand new chain and sprockets 1000 miles ago).

Also included is another example of my 3rd gear whirring sound, which we never really figured out years ago.. Maybe someone new has a clue?

And then some other fun sounds you might enjoy.

I took these with a zoom h5 in my tank bag, so it's a little muffled, and theres noise from the mics hitting the bag material. The sound I am worried about is not justified in these clips, but maybe you can hear what I'm talking about.

https://soundcloud.com/sonofnothing/sets/versys-sounds
Gears make that kind of sound. Gear driven cams are kinda notorious for that. People often complain about flat cut tranny gears making such noises too. Not sure if your bike has either, but it certainly ain't anything that sounds strange. If you hadn't mentioned it and I listened to the clip, I probably wouldn't have even noticed it.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Here was mine.https://youtu.be/9eRGVATevug?t=59s After adjusting the chain. All was good..
Sounded like it was banging on plastic. The chain guard?
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Sounded like it was banging on plastic. The chain guard?

Could have been...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Could have been...
Yesterday, after I picked mine up, it was kinda warm out ~80F. When I got it home I heard this on/off whistling sound that was reminiscent of a truck backing up. I didn't think anything about it as I figured there was a truck backing up somewhere in the neighborhood. My wife asked me what the sound was. I told her probably a truck. "No," she said. It was coming from the bike. On closer inspection, she was right.

I figured if it was a whistle, it was probably the tank venting. I had a magnetic bag over the fuel cap. I figured there must be some vent there I was blocking, but removing it did nothing to quiet it.

Unfazed, we went over to a friend's house where I picked up the latest Rider magazine. Didn't notice it after the initial incident. Went for a ride this morning and no funny noises either, but it was much cooler today. I'm sure it's some little electonic gizmo taking care of something.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Not sure if your bike has either, but it certainly ain't anything that sounds strange.
I dunno either. Does the versys have those technologies?

Like I said, it's really tame in the sound clip.. I'd love to ride another versys and listen for the sound. Or if someone could ride theirs, and put their heads down by the seat as safely as possible and listen as you throttle on/off/on/off. Sounds like an electric buzzing/whining. It's probably the chain when under load. The suspension compresses under acceleration, right? So the chain tightens, and makes a noise?

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:48 PM

sonofnothing- I can hear it whistling before you put it in gear... What year is it, and does it have the Cali smog charcoal canister?

Is your new front sprocket not a 15T or 16T rubber damped Kawasaki OEM?
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I dunno either. Does the versys have those technologies?

Like I said, it's really tame in the sound clip.. I'd love to ride another versys and listen for the sound. Or if someone could ride theirs, and put their heads down by the seat as safely as possible and listen as you throttle on/off/on/off. Sounds like an electric buzzing/whining. It's probably the chain when under load. The suspension compresses under acceleration, right? So the chain tightens, and makes a noise?
I just did a search and got nothing on those, but your bike does have a gear driven counter balancer. That'd be my guess.

Kinda reminds me of the commercial where a girl asks a new Mom to hold her baby and the Mom gives her the third degree about being properly sanitized first. In the next scene, the Mom is at the mechanic's place with baby #2. He tells her how much she owes, and she just hands the baby to the greasy mechanic while she plunders her purse for a credit card.

These things we ride are mechanical beasts. Metal sh*t is banging together in these things at incredibly high frequencies. Noise is gonna happen. Get some good ear buds, download a Santana record into your ipod and have a nice ride and fuhgitaboutit.

Embarrassing story. Back around '94, I bought a new Zuk VX800. I was commuting when I heard metal start clanging together. The higher the rpm the louder the clanging. As it was still under warranty, I called a friend who helped me load it in his pickup. I don't remember how we even did that. Anyway, we took it back to the shop I bought it, expecting to hear that the valves had come apart or something equally awful. Instead, it turned out that the head pipes weren't cinched down and there was a metal washer in there banging around.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
sonofnothing- I can hear it whistling before you put it in gear... What year is it, and does it have the Cali smog charcoal canister?

Is your new front sprocket not a 15T or 16T rubber damped Kawasaki OEM?
Its a 2011 with 6k miles.

Now, I'm confused.. Did they put a smaller front sprocket on as well as the rear? I like the ride now much better than stock.. But I went in asking for a 44t rear, and they suggested doing both so that both are at the same wear over time.

The sprocket they put on the front is a 15t (part # 1-32515) which appears to be a sunstar steel sprocket.

Rear is 44t (part # 2-335644) Also, sunstar.
Quote from amazon page "Constructed of the highest quality 1045 high-carbon steel
Exclusive heat treatment for added strength and wear resistance
Most are zinc plated and have a baked on durable paint process for corrosion resistance
The strongest, longest lasting steel replacement sprocket available
Nearly all motorcycles come equipped from the factory with this sprocket"

Chain is Pro Street 520V X2-114 (part # 690-44114)

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 09:37 PM

Yeah, they put on an undamped Sunstar front sprocket... Your original 15T was rubber damped and considerably quieter.

Are you in California? Does your 2011 have the smog canister on the left? I do wonder about your whistling engine, heard before you even put it in gear.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Yeah, they put on an undamped Sunstar front sprocket... Your original 15T was rubber damped and considerably quieter.

Are you in California? Does your 2011 have the smog canister on the left? I do wonder about your whistling engine, heard before you even put it in gear.

Nope, NY. No smog canister that I know of, and I'm running an arrow exhaust.

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

sounds like this guy..
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showt...=154101&page=2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY7c...ature=youtu.be

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 09:57 PM

Do you have the quiet insert in the Arrow? That's what I thought was whistling... Any discernible exhaust leak? Are your header nuts and muffler to exhaust collector clamp well torqued?

Check also for proper rear wheel alignment. You can't rely on the swingarm reference marks until you know how off they are, and in which direction. I used a straight edge on rear sprocket run along the chain to near front sprocket. Mine was off by half the distance between 2 lines, which is huge. Some use a Motion Pro chain alignment tool which they swear by.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

The dealer did the chain and everything, and the markers are off by almost a full notch. I thought they were supposed to be lined up perfectly, but I trust the dealer, as they are a reputable local kawi dealer.

Remember My header rings had those black spots and I asked if it was running rich or it was a misfire.... This could cause that whine?
Should I buy new ones, that cover the entire flange and the bolts? Like the Vibrant 1458?

Last edited by sonofnothing; 04-19-2015 at 10:03 PM.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 10:18 PM

What's this about a Vibrant 1458 ?

Yeah you should get new exhaust header gaskets if yours is still leaking.

Last edited by invader; 04-19-2015 at 10:33 PM.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

http://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1458-2-Bolt-Temperature-Exhaust/dp/B000E43BDK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429495302&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=kawasaki+versys+header+gasket

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Did you read what he said? Nothing was wrong. It just sounds like that.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I sure did. A bunch of comments on electrical items, etc. I just get in my head, because if there was a problem I would want to address it ASAP and not just put on santana and ride over a problem. Plus, I won't listen to music while riding, it's just not for me!

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
That R6 video is irrelevant. It was a very cold start, in otherwise unknown conditions... What temperatures are you riding in? What type and grade of oil is in your engine, and what is the level at when help vertically balanced after it's cooled down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode