Turned key - but bike wonīt start... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Turned key - but bike wonīt start...

Had a hairy few minutes this morning, put key in ignition, speedo needle flipped around, but no bleep and accompanying noises. Bike wouldnīt start, I was there for 5 minutes trying to get it going with no luck. Then lo and behold, after turning the key 30 times or so, it starts like nothing happened.

Why is this, and how is it solved?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
invader will know
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 05:04 AM

Battery low?

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

was the kill switch on (red up), if you turn key on with kill on the rev needle will go around but none of the other noises and it will not start, maybe by the 30th time after you got so wild with it you bumped the kill switch down and away she went?
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

I also had that idea but I actually never use the kill switch anyway, donīt even know what itīs for!

Anyway I messed around with that also, but didnīt make a difference.

The strange this is, which I should have mentioned - the bike is parked in a garage, so I started her up first time with no problem, drove out of garage, stopped and took out keys to close to lock garage, re inserted keys, and thatīs when the fun started,
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

the kill switch is to kill engine in emergency situation, my wife uses the kill switch on her bike to turn egine off as key is on the side hard to reach. just if you get a chance, push the red switch to the up postion and try to start bike and see if same things happens
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Well I flipped it up and down incase it woudl trigger something, but didnt do anything.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

don't worry it will not trigger a bomb, did you turn the ignition key on when you flicked the red switch up
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Well I flipped it up, then down again before trying since I know that it wonīt at all otherwise.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

I should qualify my statement really ,I know the switch kills the engine, just not sure why you need it.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 07:58 AM

I have had this happen to me as well...usually after I put the kickstand down while its still in gear, which of course kills the engine. Then when I go to start it....after putting it in neutral....and I get nothing...out of neutral then back in...wa la! Only happend once....but it was strange.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Also happened to me before, like twice, but never for so long.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 09:09 AM

In the dirt bike world, one of the main reasons for a kill switch is in case the bike falls over on the throttle side and the trottle is cranked and the engine is revving. The kill switch is quick to get to for shutting it down. Unfortunately, the kill switch on most street bikes is on the throttle side which might not be much easier to access than the throttle while on the ground. That's why most dirt bikes have the kill switch on the other side. On street bikes, it's useful while stopping on a hill and wanting to leave the bike in gear, you can hit the kill switch to turn it off, then turn off the key rather than balancing the bike with your foot on the brake and the bike in neutral while reaching for the key to turn it off and then having to rock the bike to get it back into gear for parking on that hill.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for explanation
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotav899 View Post
I have had this happen to me as well...usually after I put the kickstand down while its still in gear, which of course kills the engine. Then when I go to start it....after putting it in neutral....and I get nothing...out of neutral then back in...wa la! Only happend once....but it was strange.
Happened to me too. Maybe the kick stand switch had some contact.
Try checking the fuse box. maybe some fuse is loose.. maybe.

Murphy Law rules.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 11:07 AM

I think your V was made by Toyota

Foo Fighter Rider
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainy View Post
Had a hairy few minutes this morning, put key in ignition, speedo needle flipped around, but no bleep and accompanying noises. Bike wouldnīt start, I was there for 5 minutes trying to get it going with no luck. Then lo and behold, after turning the key 30 times or so, it starts like nothing happened.

Why is this, and how is it solved?
I think I know. I'll know for sure that I know if you see the same problem appearing again.

In order to solve this, you would have to buy and replace the relay box, then the ECU, then the wiring harness, only to find out that your ignition switch went array

I doubt that it is related to something other than the ignition switch based on the fact that you didn't hear the fuel pump priming (assuming that you know what's that, and you didn't hear it). Without that, good luck starting the bike. But, no reason to panic, if it is that, you should see an increase in the non-starting occurrences. Knowing what I know now, you could save about $1000
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 05:55 PM

Does trying it with the steering pointing in different directions (straight, full right lock, full left lock, a bit to the right, a bit to the left) make any difference?
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 08:56 PM

Piling onto the tangent...
I've had MSF instructors tell me that it's a good habit to always turn off the bike using the kill switch so that it becomes automatic and if you ever lay the bike over and are revving at a million RPM with the rear wheel or chain close to your foot you can turn it off by reflex.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Well exactly the same happened tooday - to the letter.

Go to garage, start her up first time, drive out of garage, take out key to lock door, put back in ignition, turn - NOTHING.

This time I was 20 minutes without it starting.I rang the mechanic, he said to leave ignition on and flip the kill switch, also to move handlebars from side to side whilst ignition on - but nothing happened. Ended up having to push the bike back up hill to the garage, take out key to open garage, put key back in leaving ignition on , freewheel back down the steep incline to go back into garage to my parking space - and the fecking thing bleeps and it starts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode