noticed some popping - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
noticed some popping

SO yesterday was the first day out on the V this year. It was covered in storage (not heated) over the winter. It was fine when I started it up and rode to work, but on the way home and the brief subsequent ride I noticed a fair amount of popping or back firing. Everything is stock, and the bike has low miles. I put stabil in the fuel, and am wondering if that is the culprit. I never had pops like this last year, so that is my main concern. I could understand if I had aftermarket exhaust or something, but its bone stock. Has anyone else ever had this happen? Any ideas? Does stabil cause the fuel not to burn and collect in the exhaust then eventually catch?

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
SO yesterday was the first day out on the V this year. It was covered in storage (not heated) over the winter. It was fine when I started it up and rode to work, but on the way home and the brief subsequent ride I noticed a fair amount of popping or back firing. Everything is stock, and the bike has low miles. I put stabil in the fuel, and am wondering if that is the culprit. I never had pops like this last year, so that is my main concern. I could understand if I had aftermarket exhaust or something, but its bone stock. Has anyone else ever had this happen? Any ideas? Does stabil cause the fuel not to burn and collect in the exhaust then eventually catch?
I've used Stabil for a lot of things for a lot of years and I never noticed such a thing. I think it was probably always doing it, but your exhaust is breaking in and just emitting more noise. Did you change helmets recently?

Bikes these days are setup awfully lean to meet noise/emissions standards. Sometimes when there is too little fuel, it wont fire or at least fire completely and the unburned fuel will fire in the exhaust and you'll hear that burbling on deceleration.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Same helmet, and although I only put 3000 miles on it last year I can say with certainty that it back fired once last year. In all 3000 miles it happened once after I got off the highway and stopped at a light. When I started off it hesitated for a sec then pop pop and back to normal. I thought huh that was weird, and it never happened again until now. Probably happened 5-6 times in ~50 mile ride. Maybe the gas went to ****?

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
id change your gas (pumnp out what you can and add some fresh premium... mine will "hickup" sometimes when its warming up if i blip the throttle... but i havent noticed any backfireing or popping, and mine is an 08 with almost 36k miles......

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 10:54 AM

Popping is perfectly normal and a properly tuned engine does it all the time, your bike even has a system whose sole function is to introduce air to the exhaust to create this popping. The popping is nothing more than unburnt gas being burnt in the exhaust. Most of the time you won't notice it, sometimes you do, but it is not a problem. People usually only notice it when going with an aftermarket exhaust, but it was there all the time.

If the stabil had anything to do with it, just ride the bike and burn all that old winter aged gas. The best way to clean a fuel system is not to add additives, is just to flush it and add fresh gasoline, which already has a bunch of detergents in it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
MINE have never "popped", and I use Stabil in the 'off-season' too.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
MINE have never "popped", and I use Stabil in the 'off-season' too.
Eddie's right. You got bad gas or need to clean your FI's out in that order of easy to hard. Popping is backfiring, and unless you have 3rd party exhaust, there is no reason for backfiring. OEM's run lean, so it doesn't take much crap in gas to tell. I'm pretty strict about mobil gas first then shell, exon, texaco: no $hit gas. I'd get that gas out pronto.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
See if any of your exhaust clamps are loose or crank the bike up get a cigarette or something else that makes smoke and put it close to the clamps if any smoke sucks into the pipe you have an exhaust leak. Tighten up the clamps or put some putty on the pipes at the joint and tighten...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 04:40 PM

I love my popping deceleration.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 07:05 PM

Im with you there! I wish mine did it more! The stock silencer is just too good though, dulls everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode