Pirelli Diablo Strada - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Pirelli Diablo Strada

Has anybody tried the Pirelli Diablo Strada tires. Do they perform and last longer than other tires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 01:44 PM

I had a set on my ZRX a few years ago. I liked them. I can't speak to the life...I sold the bike not too long after that.

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

States I've ridden in so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 03:09 PM

I have a pair on my Multistrada 620. They offer excellent grip and long life. I have 4K on my bike and the tires look new. The only downside is that they take a long time to warm up. Hope this helps.

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 11:09 PM

Hi, I bought a set of diablo strada and had it put on my V from day 1! I love the tires but I did not have a chance to compare with the stock tires. I have 6500km on the bike so far and the tires are still in very good condition.

They are amazing on any surface (except off road...), they drive on rain pretty much like on dry tarmac.

Cheers,

4tire!
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

2007 Black Versys, Barkbuster VPS Handguards, Mushrooms K10001-109, Pirelli Diablo Rosso, CQlights HID 5000K kit, Givi V46 Top Case.

Shoei Multitec, Rukka X-TRAFIT Gloves, Rukka Steel Jacket, Rukka Unit Pants, Dainese B.B.2 D-Dry Boots

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 02:12 PM

Strada

I took my V in for it's 600m oil change /check and had an nail in my rear factory tire. They patched it and ordered me a Strada. It came in a couple days later and they installed it and I now have 1200 miles on it. But like 4tire, I can't really compare it to the factory since I never even took the factory tire on any twisties. I probably don't lean far enough in corners to make any difference for me. I hope I don't have to review tires by sliding out on a mountain road.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 02:16 PM

I've used Stradas and regular diablos.

The Stradas lasted about 3-4K miles longer than the regular diablos, and provided excellent rain traction. The regular diablos are very good on wet pavement too.

The front does take a long time to warm up, so I would suggest a strada rear with a regular diablo front (same tread pattern). This will alleviate the primary warm up delay.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 07:02 PM

I put a set on yesterday...so far I like them much better than the stock tires. I am really amazed at how much better they feel and how much more predictable they seem. The stock tires lasted about 5,700 miles and I never liked the way they felt.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 09:25 PM

I have stradas on my SV and my CBR and will put them on my Versys when the stock tires wear out. I really like them. They are a decent sport tire that last longer than your average sport tire. And unlike the Pilot Powers I had on my CBR they feel pretty good right to the point they need to be replaced. Pilot Powers on the other hand felt good for about 3000 miles and crap after that. I got about 5000 out of the Powers and I am sure I will get close to 8000 out of the Stradas.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I like the sounds of long life and grip on wet pavement. I will probably go with them when the Factory tires are spent. I have 4100 miles on them, they should make to 8000. They seem to work OK but have not pushed them them in the rain.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 10:48 AM

Ran Stradas this past season - 15,000 km out of the rear - still have the front on. They are excellent in the rain.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

I put on the Stradas last week, man they feel great. the bikes seems to turn easier and quicker. Braking feels better too.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 05:20 PM

My next pick

I'm at 4100 on my stockers and I'm hoping to get to 6000 on them. The rear is flattening a bit, and the Kawi dealer I bought the bike from said the fron was cupping a bit... although I had difficulty trying to see what he was talking about. He wanted $480 for a set of road smarts installed. I found a set of diablo stradas for about 1/2 the price... I'll install myself and balance with Ride-on. Q? I cannot find info on the Pirelli site.. Would the tires be the same as stock... 36 r and 32 f.. Thanks
MB
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

I put the tire pressure at stock pressure (36r and 32f) and they seem fine. You may want to send the Pirelli tech guys a memo to find out for sure.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 06:24 PM

First impressions of the Diablo Strada..... totally different. Take this with a grain of salt, my rear OEM tire was squared off. They turn in WAY quicker than the Dunlops. First 10 miles felt "squirly". After about 15 miles I'm used to them, they just seem to want to turn in. My first few turns I actually started to turn in before the turn, used to the old tires I guess.

They're sportier feeling than I remember the original tires ever being. The bike feels completely different and much more willing to lean way over.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 12:31 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
I had them on both my Z1000 (2 sets) and my FZ1 (one set, replaced by Avon Storms). On both bikes the Pirelli's were excellent tires. Good grip, wore well (at least 7,000 miles on each set) and made both bikes feel much lighter and easier to turn. I am tempted to put them on the Versys, but am also thinking about the Avon's or the Dunlop Roadsmarts. Decisions, decisions...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 03:46 PM

Hi Rponiarski, I had the pirelli Diablo Strada up to 2 months ago and loved them!

I had to change and chose to go for a bit sportier tire, the Diablo Rosso. These are even better, the shape of the tires is actually more like a U so it gives extra contact patch when leaning. With the diablo rosso, without the peg feeler, you will actually touch the ground with the pegs before reaching the edge of the tires. With the Strada, I reached the tire edges at the same time than the peg touching the ground in the curves.

All of this was done on the track, not on the street...

Enjoy your new tires!

4tire!

4tire!
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

2007 Black Versys, Barkbuster VPS Handguards, Mushrooms K10001-109, Pirelli Diablo Rosso, CQlights HID 5000K kit, Givi V46 Top Case.

Shoei Multitec, Rukka X-TRAFIT Gloves, Rukka Steel Jacket, Rukka Unit Pants, Dainese B.B.2 D-Dry Boots

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 03:52 PM

Dumbass newbie question: How do you know when your tires are "warmed up"?
I just put a set of Stradas on my V. Only put about 20 miles on them so I didn't push the corners.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 05:26 PM

Max, Dude, no such thing a a dumbass newbie question, unless it's like "did I crash?" in witch case the paramedic will probably give you a smartass answer. Anyway, it has been my experience that all new tires need to be scuffed up before you get into any serious stuff. Ask your shop what they recommend or better consult the manufacturer. If my memory serves me it's like 20-40 miles. Look at them when you get them put on then look at them after you've done the milage you can see the differernce. You'll feel the difference as well. Pushed a set of scorpions a little eairly one time and pushed the rear out good (bad Pucker factor ran up to 11.5. It's was one of those slap yourself moments. See your not a dumbass you knew not to push new tires.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 07:33 AM

Thanks, surfer! No, there are some stupid questions! I hope this wasn't one.
I have driven them about 30 miles. The dealer merely said, "Don't lean 'em until they're dirty!".
OK, say they're broken in. How about "warmed up" in the cornering sense? What are my parameters for warmed up? Purely subjective? OK, that's cool. Just looking for pointers...
Thanks!
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

They're probably good for every day riding just in just a few minutes, & unless the tires are brand new, you can start pushing them fairly quick. If they're brand new, scrub them in for abut 100 miles or so before you start to push them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode