Remote Mode Button - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Remote Mode Button

I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it awkward to reach the mode button and hit it cleanly, especially on a winding road.

So I decided to do something about it.

I opened up the instument pod and took out the main board. Using a small 2-strand wire, I soldered the 2 wires to either side of the open circuit under the mode switch.

I opened up the left handlebar control module and disconnected the 2 wires from the "Pass" button. I soldered the other end of my 2-strand wire to the Pass button.

Now when I pull the Pass button, the mode on the dash changes.

The small wire I used was from a motorcycle radar detector helmet speaker wire. It had a small waterproof quick disconnect in the middle, which I positioned just outside the instrument pod. This allows the instrument pod to still be unplugged and removed from the bike.

Maybe this will inspire others to do something similar. Any momentary button could be used in place of the Pass button, such as an accessory horn button.

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 01:53 AM

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 04:06 AM

Thank you. You have just solved one of my peeves.

I need to move between odometer and clock each morning when I start out, and that remote button is a nuisance. I can't figure out why they don't have a full time clock, as it's an accessory in its own right. But I like your fix.

You can help make Clem a household name

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Shifty View Post

I need to move between odometer and clock each morning when I start out, and that remote button is a nuisance. I can't figure out why they don't have a full time clock, as it's an accessory in its own right. But I like your fix.
Totally agree, the clock is an accessory on its own
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
michael95453

Thanks and well thought off.

Now I need to get the work done.God when will this stop.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 10:11 PM

Talking

Uhh...you mean the pass button isn't like the boost button on an Indy car?

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Shifty View Post

I like your fix.
How's this for a timely resurrection of an old thread? I made the comment above on April 25th 2010. Today, Oz time, it's April 25th 2013. And today I made this mod to the bike.

It's two or three hours well spent - and only three years in the waiting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Is there a similar fix for the reset button???
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Is there a similar fix for the reset button???
The reset button will probably be the same circuit board configuration as the mode button, but I didn't look at it. So I imagine it's easy enough to solder a pair of wires to the back of the board and run them to an external switch.

Use very fine wire so it doesn't take much heat from the soldering iron, otherwise the switch wafers on the other side of the board can heat up and dislodge.

There are some blanked off holes in the back of the dash panel unit. It's easy to drill one so the wires can run through it, then hotmelt glue over it to seal it. Leave some slack in the cable inside the unit so the case can be split easily.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 06:53 AM

great idea and good fix of the problem, but I personally don't find I need to use the mode button other than aswering someone when they ask "how many miles are on your bike" or checking to see how many miles I rode that day when I get back home.

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 08:32 AM

Garage
Stop worrying about the clock on your motorcycle:

"Try to imagine a life without timekeeping. You probably can't. You know the year, the month and the day of the week. There's a clock on your phone, your wall and in your computer. You have a schedule, a calendar and a time for dinner. Yet all around you, timekeeping is ignored. The birds are never late. A dog does not care for time and a cat won't check a watch.

Man alone measures time. And because of this, man suffers a fear no other creature endures: A fear of time running out."

Best quote from The Wild Hogs, Peter Fonda, in clear reference to his Captain America character throwing away his watch at the start of the odessy trip in Easy Rider, says to the Hogs at the end of the movie: "Loose the watches boys" Sage advice.

Always trust your cape.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Totally agree, the clock is an accessory on its own
Agreed, and I prefer analog clocks anyway, so I took a Casio watch that had been laying around, removed the busted rubber wrist band, stopped at my local watchmaker for a battery ($5), and Velcroed the watch (case only) to the left lower dash.

@OP: does the PASS button still trip the high beams? If so, be cautious when you flip from mode to mode so you don't give some cager or pedestrian the idea that you're flashing to offer them the right of way.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
@OP: does the PASS button still trip the high beams?
No. After 3 years of use I forget that the Versys didn't come with this feature installed. I think the mode button on my dash has stopped working, but it doesn't really matter!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 02:22 AM

Garage
Yeah I'd prefer the pass light button to activate the high beam. I leave the display on the clock anyway and only use the mode button when stopped.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
"...Man alone measures time. And because of this, man suffers a fear no other creature endures: A fear of time running out."
I gotta remember that one. Thanks.

What's interesting is, I always know what time it is (within a few minutes) day or night, without a watch or a clock. Except, three weeks ago, when I was put under for an operation. A couple of hours later, when I was waking up in recovery, my first thought and words to the nurse were "What time is it?". The anesthesia complete messed up my "clock"! [Sorry for the thread hijack.]
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post

Best quote from The Wild Hogs,
Thanks for the quote, but I've already done it.

I took off my wrist watch almost 40 years ago and have not worn one since. However, I have clients and meetings in various parts of the city each day and I need to be on time. The clock on the bike (or the car if I'm driving that day) is part of my work life.

I also have to keep track of distance covered, so I also need the odometer. Clicking between them sounds simple, but those little buttons are annoying with the multiple click-through that is needed to cycle the range of functions just to keep track of two that I need. The high beam flasher mod makes it easy.

Ironically, in my state, flashing your headlights is a traffic offense. So the original function is not needed.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post

@OP: does the PASS button still trip the high beams? If so, be cautious when you flip from mode to mode so you don't give some cager or pedestrian the idea that you're flashing to offer them the right of way.
The high beam wiring is cut to make the mod. The main reason is that connecting a live 12v feed to the rear of the printed circuit board of the dash is not a good idea. I cut the wires inside the switch block, they can be easily joined up again if needed.

See my previous point about flashing your high beam in this state being a traffic offense.

There is also the confusion of what another driver means by the flashing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode