Odd Electrical problems on cold start - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Odd Electrical problems on cold start

Morning folks! Last few mornings it's been rather brisk (1-4 C), and when start the bike, my signal lights and horn are non-operations.. after riding for a while (using hand signals), they start to work again. I'm going to take the bike apart today to trace the wiring for any frays/loose connections, but I'm wondering - is this something anybody else has come across before?

07 Versys with 27000km on it.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
havent had it happen on the versys but does happen on my 1981 honda twinstar when the battery is flat and i have to kick start it.. try bringing your RPM's up and seeing if they work. also might wanna look into test/replacing your battery

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Hrm... not having any troubles starting it, but I'll add that to the checklist., Thanks Silvie!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beany View Post
Morning folks! Last few mornings it's been rather brisk (1-4 C), and when start the bike, my signal lights and horn are non-operations.. after riding for a while (using hand signals), they start to work again. I'm going to take the bike apart today to trace the wiring for any frays/loose connections, but I'm wondering - is this something anybody else has come across before?

07 Versys with 27000km on it.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Beany - I would 'open-up' your left control and spray either WD40 or video tape-head cleaner in, then re-try.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
The bike was really not happy when I picked it up after the tire change on Saturday...stalled almost every time the rpm dropped (at stop lights etc) - basically feathered the throttle the short drive home. It still starts fine, which is the odd thing... I've pulled the battery and will get it tested tonight.

When I was riding home, I brought the RPM up and the horn worked, tried it this morning, but nothing (didn't wait for the bike to warm up though).

FastEddie - is it simply a matter of unscrewing the cover plate on the left controls? Am I spraying blindly in there or shooting for anything specific?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...FastEddie - is it simply a matter of unscrewing the cover plate on the left controls? Am I spraying blindly in there or shooting for anything specific?
The cover is held ON by two philips-head machine screws. Just remove them, pull the rear cover away enough to view the switches, then spray in there.

Neither WD40 nor video contact cleaner will cause any problems.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Just so I can learn... what does spraying with WD40 do for it?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Is your normal warmed up idle speed set to 1300 rpm, as required?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Just so I can learn... what does spraying with WD40 do for it?
Helps the parts make contact, by removing any moisture and SOME other contaminants.

The FIRST time I ever used WD40m was during an enduro, in the rain on my '77 TT500 when, going thru/ over a rock wall I broke the cover over my points, and the engine quit. Another rider handed me his can of WD40 telling me to spray the points, which I did, tho' I had trouble understanding how something "dripping w/ something wet" would work.

Kicked the starter - it fired up! - and I rode back to the start/ finish line to my trailer. Been a FAN ever since....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
I've never touched my idle speed... haven't even investigated how to do so.

The battery was fine, just needing a charge (and a clean).. I had it on a trickle charger last night..will check warm idle speed tonight and report back.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 05:11 PM

Idle speed adjustment screw knob is on your right when sitting on it... Keep it set to 1300 rpm, at normal warmed up idle.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks Invader - good to know... But the problem has worsened.. After being told the battery is okay, I had it on the trickle charger last night (2amp, if that matters) - threw it in the bike bout 20 minutes ago, turned the key, hit the starter, and everything went dead. Now, nothing I do seems to do anything. *sigh* Time to scour the forums further...I remember reading something about this while investigating my initial problem.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks Invader - good to know... But the problem has worsened.. After being told the battery is okay, I had it on the trickle charger last night (2amp, if that matters) - threw it in the bike bout 20 minutes ago, turned the key, hit the starter, and everything went dead. Now, nothing I do seems to do anything. *sigh* Time to scour the forums further...I remember reading something about this while investigating my initial problem.
To pull battery out and put it back in, you wiggle many wire ... Culprit ?

LOP
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
The display lit up before I hit the starter... then everything went dark..

Also, not sure if this matters.. there's a couple of scorch marks (noticed after I left the dealership after them checking the battery) - possible they fubared something?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
The display lit up before I hit the starter... then everything went dark..

Also, not sure if this matters.. there's a couple of scorch marks (noticed after I left the dealership after them checking the battery) - possible they fubared something?
Meh...

Quote:
Disconnect your battery, sand the oxidation off the top of battery terminals and underneath connectors, wipe clean, then install and tighten terminals properly.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Meh...

Disconnect your battery, sand the oxidation off the top of battery terminals and underneath connectors, wipe clean, then install and tighten terminals properly.
That worked, and it looks like my idle had been set lower than it should've. Both problems solved! Thanks Invader. :-]
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 11:25 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
That worked, and it looks like my idle had been set lower than it should've. Both problems solved! Thanks Invader. :-]
Well, I'll be damned! It actually worked. What a concept... There she goes!
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 03:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
well, i'll be damned! It actually worked. What a concept... There she goes!

+1

LOP
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 10:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Beany - I would 'open-up' your left control and spray either WD40 or video tape-head cleaner in, then re-try.

Electrical contact cleaner (available at Radio Shack and most large hardware stores) is designed for this and does not leave residue which can exacerbate the issue.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-15-2015 at 11:39 PM.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I love it Invader starts his long distance troubleshooting

I'm no diplomat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode