Heated grips removal Oxford - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Heated grips removal Oxford

Hey all. Had a hell of a time tonight fitting these to my 2015 versys. I got the clutch side on no problems but the throttle....

I only got it on 80% I used the super glue that came with it. Probably should of used hair spray. Anyhow, any suggestion on how to get it off? Suggestion I have read are to start the bike and let the grips heat on full then twist back and forth to remove or break the glue. Try squeezing acetone or super glue remover down, that did not work at it simply came out the throttle sleeve the other side. Any other ideas? I would like to salvage it if possible but if it's a right royal pain then happy to cut off, hopefully that works without stuffing up the throttle sleeve. Nightmare all around really.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
heat, a thin screw driver, air compressor, lube, and most importantly time!

try getting the screw driver under the grips (not to pry) then spin it around the bar braking the glues bond from grip to bar. spray some wd-40(or lube of your choosing) spray in UNDER the grip then if you can apply air under the grip as you pull it off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyrPOSai4wc

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 08:49 PM

You will most likely have to destroy the throttle tube, removing the tube from the grip, not the grip from the tube.

A couple of years ago I replaced an Oxford grip and if I remember correctly the replacement grip was approx. 60% of the cost of a complete grip kit.

The question is which is less expensive to destroy, the grip or the throttle tube.

When you attempt installing the grip do a test dry fit to make sure the grip will slide completely onto the throttle tube.
If not remove material from either the grip or tube.
The grip has an inner tube that is a hard plastic material.

Last edited by Ziggy; 04-11-2015 at 09:05 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm well heating the grips didn't really do anything. I do not really want to muck about with the throttle sleeve so would cutting the grip off be OK? I don't want little bits of grip stuck to the sleeve but I guess I might have to deal with that! For $110 it might be worth the effort of just destroying the grip and notching one up to lessons learned, and yes I only fitted it 80% dry I thought the glue would provide enough lubrication to go the extra 20! I was wrong.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

On a side note does anyone know where I can get a throttle heated Oxford grip only? In other words just the spare part?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_650 View Post
On a side note does anyone know where I can get a throttle heated Oxford grip only? In other words just the spare part?
You can purchase replacement grips straight from the manufacturer's website.

http://oxford-products.com/us/search...cement&x=0&y=0
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Heated grips removal Oxford

Thanks, they don't ship to Australia sadly so I have contacted a distributor, see how I go. It looks like the throttle tube is easy to remove/replace so I might go down that path of replacing both components. Two screws and some fiddling looks to be about it after inspecting tonight and dissembling of throttle housing.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 12:20 PM

Grip removal--Windex

I am planning to buy the Oxford grips for my 13 V650. What I have found best when installing/removing grips is Windex. Not sure how it will work with glued grips though?
Cheers,
Mickey
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 05:21 PM

Having done a couple sets of the Oxfords I found that you have to "Fine Tune" them a bit with sand paper to fit correctly. I then use a bit of soapy water to make sure they fit all the way and after washing all the soap off I dry and then cover the bike with plastic, no drips of glue please, and then I have at it. Both times they have seated fully and no problems.

I'd check with your Kawasaki dealer I bet it's cheaper to replace the tube than the grip.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Yes I didn't fine tune enough sadly! I think the clutch being metal tubing went on easy so I (wrongly) figured the throttle to go on easy too. In any case I have ordered ($32) a new throttle sleeve so hopefully I can dig the old one out of the Oxford grip and recover it. Any suggestions on how to do this? Next time, hair spray and test fit allllll the way down!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 11:03 PM

Measure the diameter of the hole in the grip to determine its size and try using a sharp drill bit the same diameter of the grip hole to drill (bore) out the throttle sleeve starting at the outer end of the grip.
Go slow and be patient.

Remove any remnants of the throttle tube with a rat tail (round file).

Last edited by Ziggy; 04-14-2015 at 07:02 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Well, one ruined heated grip later here I am! I have ordered a new one for $50 so not too bad, lesson learned. I also have installed a new throttle sleeve and grip. Bit of a pricey exercise but things happen I suppose! I am now trying to find a longer screen for the bike. I just taped some thick cardboard to the screen to see if that makes any difference. I don't want to spend $300 ish only to find it does nothing extra. Not sure how else to test apart from stylish looking cardboard duct taped to the screen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode