Continental Conti Motion tires - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Continental Conti Motion tires

Disclaimer: All the opinions expressed below are anecdotal. I make no claims about being a tire expert either. This is my forth set of tires for the Versys and my performance evaluations are based on my recollections of running my previous Michelin PR3's (my personal benchmark of a good tire) and other tires like the Scorpion (ver 1) and Michelin PR2's I've run on the Versys.

The Continentals are CHEAP! There are not many tires you can buy for the Versys that typically sell for $150 US for a complete set of front and back tires. In contrast just a rear Michelin PR 3 or PR4 tire alone will run $150 to $170 US. With the Michelins the front tire will be an extra ~$140 US+. In comparison this makes the Continental Conti Motions a tremendous value. So you say but nothing comes for free. What's the catch? Well probably some overall life expectancy although I have not run these long enough yet to know what that ultimate life expectancy is. Also there are some traction limitations. Traction losses compared to the PR3's are significant in wet weather. These tires seem to squirm occasionally if you're hard on the brakes or lean much on wet roads. Also and the tiny micro gravel that covers the recently bared pavement this time of year cause these tires to slide more easily than most. They do not feel quire as confidence inspiring in the dry as the PR3s when the bike is pushed hard but at 10%+ I was unable to really detect any difference from the PR3's.

So what's the bottom line? My feeling is if you are on a budget and install the tires yourself then these tires will a great value IF you are the kind of rider who does not push the bike hard. On the other hand if you pay someone a significant amount to install your tires it just makes more economic sense to get the longest lasting dual compound tires you can find like say the Pirelli GT or Michelin PR4. Dual compound tires typically wear better, grip better and last much longer but cost more to produce. If you ride a lot in wet weather or like to ride fast skip these tires and spend more to get better tires. This does not mean the Conti Motion tires are bad tires though. $150 is a really great price and if you don't need first rate traction, which you probably won't if you never exceed posted limits and are willing to really slow down on iffy roads then these tires won't disappoint. Me, I'll probably try the Pirelli GT or PR4 next.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-10-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
2 times I had to replace a rear tire while away from home. Both time the contimotion was the only available sport touring tire in the size I needed. 1st time was on the Versys, and second time was on the concours.

I generally run Shinko ravens on the Versys and PR4s on the concours.

The only negative thing I have to say about the contimotion is that the is no rain groove near the center of the tire to help gauge when the tire needs replacement.

I hit the threads on the Versys before changing it out. I had a 4000 mile ride planned for the concours, so pulled the contimotion and put on a fresh PR4.

For my riding style, the rear contimotion was a fine tire. I prefer the tread pattern of the ravens for the Versys.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I can't remember FOR SURE, but I've run either three or four sets of Contimotions thru my two Vs, in both AZ and BC, so they've seen some rain.

Last set here gave me 13,885 kms front, 13,923 kms rear, BOTH w/ LOTS of tread left when I removed them to install Metzler Tourance tires before my ride to "Dust to Dawson" and Alaska in '13.

I offered them FREE on Kijiji to help out a "bucks-down" rider.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Got about 2000km on these tires so far. I've noticed on several occasions the rear has a tendency to squirm when leaned over hard in slower and medium speed turns. Also the turn in is not as good as the Michelin PR3s I had previously installed. I don't generally lean the bike hard at high speeds. I will be unlikely to buy these tires again and will probably invest more on tires next time for a set of Michelin PR4s or Pirelli Angel GTs or maybe the top rated enduro tire, the Metzler Tourence Next, which is now avail in stock sizes for the Versys at some locations. Lesson learned.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-04-2015 at 05:49 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My favorite budget tire is the Shinko Verge 011. This time I'm going to try a set or PR4, but I've already gone through 3 sets of Shinkos and I love them.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had ContiMotion's on my BMW F800ST. I'm a relatively conservative rider (particularly since I'm often 2-up with my wife), but my 'chicken strips' are evidence of a bit of aggressive riding. I got nearly 10K miles out of those tires!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I've noticed on several occasions the rear has a tendency to squirm when leaned over hard in slower and medium speed turns.
I think you may have been riding over something slippery. I wore mine out to the edges (daily) and never had any such incidents.
I have a vid review vid of the bike. My rear Motion was shot by then, but I still had (and have) one up front. There are a few 50-60 mph corners I have it banked to within a pub hair of dragging hard parts and the bike is solid as a rock. It was probably only 40-50°F out that day too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHfn7wT52LA
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I ran two or three sets of ContiMotions, and thought they were PDG!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
From what have read they use a hard compound, but unlike dual compound tires use it all over. They do not show much wear after 6500km. What I have found is they grip fine in warm weather but when it turns cold they don't develop much grip. My previous tires were PR3s and they just seem to be less secure feeling, particularly in cooler weather than the Michelin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode